1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

star trek enterprise control help...

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by rjarois, Aug 2, 2009.

1. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

hello, as I'm healing up better day by day, i have had plenty of time to think about a new build. i decided to start a star trek enterprise NCC-1701. outside any scale models i have no experience with these strange and weird flying models. as of now i am stuck on what size to make the control surfaces. i am planning two delta elevators on the back of the main body disk. if anyone has any input on the size and location, please scribble the screen shot on paint brush, with some red lines. the motor is going to mount to the front of the disk. man i have no clue on this, and am stuck...any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks, randy.

Attached files [​IMG]

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Randy,

I got no clue myself, but have a look at this slope soarer. Lots of times, these enterprises don't fly that well, but this one sure looks like it does. Maybe you can track down some more info on it. There is also more info in the thread on other ones:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=31

-Kwok

3. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Nice I think this is very cool Design..I would put Airolons on the main body and a Elevator on the tail and widen the tail some . your CoG is going to be the hard thing I would Think :?

Mabey strech it some so you have more virtical stableness.. you could also put some dyhedrial in it like the pizza box flyer. Kram242 modded the pizza flyer with Elevons and pushed the winglets almost verital and It flew great.

Cheers

E-T Attached files [​IMG]

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

5. rjarois

cool fellas, thanks for the links, now i have something to study. man that slope flyer looks great to me, all it needs is a blue wonder....this is going to be a long term project, for reasons that you fellas know. i am actually thinking of making the disk foiled. also i plan on using 6mm depron for the entire build as i have a half a case layin. anyone have any more ideas please post. this is going to be a winter project for me. peace, randy.

6. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

I've built Sgtalon's enterprise. CG is going to be fun figuring out. I ended up having to add lead weight and the end result was not that great. I will say that SGTalon said his flew great with no major problems. I simply could not get mine to act the same way. It was far too tail heavy. Here's my video of my attempt at this model.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=86

Good luck in your attempt.

7. rjarois

cptdragn, thanks for your input. as of now, i am wondering about making the disk a foil or not. also i was thinking of angling the "fuel tanks" a bit to maybe lift the back when in flight. before building my phlatprinter i have always bought proven kits. i have never experimented with the odd, weird models. upfront i know it wont be aerobatic at all...all the weird ones are lucky to just keep in the air and fly crummy to me. slowly i am getting the components together. it will be a very interesting project to say the least for me. thanks for the reply, as I'm a complete idiot with this kind of build. randy.

8. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Hey RJ, your star trek design is going to be really cool!! Cannot wait to see it fly..
    Hope your feeling better :)

9. rjarois

thanks AL...i feel allot better...actually i re calibrated my phlatprinter today...one of my friends gave me a blue wonder and speed control for the enterprise project. i got a ar-6100e and mount coming. got some 1/16 ply to cut some control horns outta. also got a piece of bass wood for the stick mount to. things are coming together slow but surely.peace, randy.

10. rjarois

as i talked about before, these weird flying models i have no experience with...on the disk section, i have the control surfaces were im gonna cut them. now i have to locate the spar..from what i have read the cg will be in the center of the disk. shall i locate ther? the disk is going to be a 20"dia. what size carbon spar? any input will greatly appreciated, thanks, randy.

Attached files [​IMG]

11. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey Randy,
    I would suggest a .157 diameter tube. Also I think your right on by putting it in the middle of the disk.

12. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Randy this is looking great!
    Mark

13. rjarois

thanks, i kinda thought rite on the cg....but wasn't sure about the size. thanks Shawn, randy.

14. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Randy,

What ever happened to this project?
    SGTalon has a new Enterprise MKII that seem to be better than the original. I'm trying to work up from phlatprinter files for it now.

15. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member