1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SteamPunk Aviation

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rcav8r, Jul 13, 2011.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I finally had a chance to read the article in the latest AMA magazine on the Steampunk Aviation. Did anyone else catch it? Some really cool stuff. I've heard about it, but thought it was only fantasy. Didn't realize they actually tried it.

This also reminded me of a show I saw last summer. The set is steampunk(ish) (at least what I thought when I saw it) and this video certainly is. (views well in full screen, but audio is not the best) Cool stuff for sure. Who will be the first to make a steam powered zeppelin? :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JAAPIFhwM

2. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I glanced through the article. I need to read the whole story. I thought it would be cool to come up with some steampunk planes.

If your into steampunk, try reading some of Cherie Priests books. Boneshaker and Dreadnought are excellent books. Lots of Zepplins, pirates and zombies.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This is cool stuff! I have an idea: :D If somehow we could create a steam powered zeppelin why not use the hot air not just for the prop-power but also to keep the balloon filled with hot air to control lift. One step more would be to use solar collecting mirrors to create the heat for the steam conversion. Now you have a self-sustained craft that could fly the world round. Provided you stay close to a body of water for refills and fly on sunny days. It would take a while but if this could work you could accually create a fantasy craft that you could possibly live on! :doubleup:
    :02cents:
    Mark and Trish

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member