1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Stepperworld

Discussion in 'MOTORS - Stepper Motors' started by frankrcfc, Dec 13, 2008.

1. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

2. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Frank, those sound like great speeds. Still sounds like the Y and the Z are perhaps binding? I would have thought you would have gotten better results with the Y and Z especially considering the motor upgrade. What do you think the problem is? You obviously have plenty of torque.

3. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Good question. When I use the keyboard or click on the mach board to move the steppers it moves right along. If I then run a phlatcode it stalls out. Right now though it is doing fine as long as I don't go any faster than what I have posted. But I am going to get another Y stepper with more umph to get over those little binding and light misalignment areas I am dealing with.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Have you tired to re-tune your new motors(Im sure that you have)? If you can jog at a rate that is quick without losing steps you should be able to cut at that rate as well.
    What is the feedrate showing on the file you are using as the one you load just for testing?
    It should be around 500
    The reason I am asking you is bacause I am going to order these motors and it would help me out in the long run.
    In older versions of the posted gcode the feedrate may have been set different, we have tuned it in to be about 500 and that is what the new Phlatscript (v910) outputs in the code at (except for the plung moves they need to be a little slower)
    Thank you Frank
    Mark
    BTW has Brian been around yet.

5. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Feed rates show 250 in Mach. I have retuned them but then I start getting greedy, as in bumping up Y and then Z a few notches at a time. I get it just a bit to much and it all collapses as far as getting the Y and Z to work again. So I just start everything at say 3 on the velocity and then 15 on the acceleration. Then I slowly move them up until they just start to miss and then back it down a notch. Then everything is working again. I am getting some whining( No not me :lol: ) from any one of the three drivers on the board. I just tap on the offending heat sink and it will quit most of the time. I have had no problem at all with heat on the control board. Z still gets a bit hot as does X The volts are carefully monitored and not cranked, Which is awful tempting but a stupid move. Overall the X is purring along nicely although it get's hot. really no matter what speed I set it. Y of course get's cranky as it gets say, 5" from the stepper I have exercised the heck out of that Y movement. Z is over all not bad. It does get hot but I cannot get it to go reliably past say, 6 and It holds tight just like Y on the velocity settings.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hey Frank - Is your pfd (percent fast delay) cranked fully ccw for every axis (lowest possible)? I don't have a heating problem, but I have read the pfd can cause everything to run pretty hot if it isn't correct.

7. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

The pfd is set ccw. Early on I messed a bit with that. But soon left it alone.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Oh well, it was an idea. It wasn't a good idea, but it was an idea. :(

9. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Dorsal. I appreciate any help and ideas. No problem. ;) I actually just cut out Anyairs's Park racer. Took 48 minutes. Flawless "slow" cut. Cutting at half Dremel speed makes it tolerable.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Yeah, my PP was running so slow that I turned the Dremel down to half-speed also. The cuts looked fine, even those that weren't in the right place due to the signal dropouts. :cry:

11. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

I feel your pain Dorsal :|

12. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I'm a little confused here.... The others have an un-named quote directed at Frank that shows 45.....

About 3 posts later Franks says he gets 3.

The reason I ask is I have the same stepper NEMA 23 (57BYGH207) for the Y axis, I even with nothing connected I get about 7IPM before skipping.... I get about the same w/ the gantry in. ( I took the gantry out as I was thinking binding was the issue) So Frank. Are you having a problem with this stepper? And if so did you resolve the issue?
    THANKS
    Dave

PS more details at the tail of this thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=193&start=25

13. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Dave. I have reset things on my printer so many times I can't remember the routines that actually get me good or bad speeds. It really is a series of things just not going my way. I will say the Y is now corrected with an updated stepper. it will be my 3rd one for the Y, I went from a questionable 90 oz of torque to 111 oz of torque on a new stepper to a new one I now have that puts out 262 oz of torque. Ultimately it is the overkill of that stepper that just plows right through any irregularities that get's in it's way for lack of better words.

14. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Well, I got my Phlatbones portion of my kit in, still waiting on the hardware part.
    The problem i am having is easy-cnc.com
    Still not a peep from those people since i placed the order last sunday, no shipping info or anything. I am thinking about calling paypal and cancelling the order from easy-cnc.com and getting the starter kit from stepperworld, it is all %100 new and 1 dollar cheaper than the used.

http://www.stepperworld.com/FET3bulldog.

Let me know if this is a better deal.
    I know why my hardware kit isn't here since mark is on vacation but no word at all from easy-cnc for a week now is dis-heartening to say the least.

15. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Easy cnc is in Mexico. They shipped my board by fedex and it did take a little while.
    I personally think the easy cnc board is better than the stepperworld one. But the dynamo option from stepper world looks nice with those 190 oz torque motors.
    I would stick with the easy cnc since you already placed the order, you just got to have a little more patience, it will come.

16. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Hello Jnida63

I had the same prob with Easy cnc he will come through. The fET3bulldog looks good But IDK about the board ? The Easy cnc board has some other features That are real nice, limit switches,parallel port protection, step switching, and optional twin realy board. + no shipping charges. He is From Mexico and It takes some time. lol I think he only checks his email once a week. I had a stepper motor go bad and he replaced it for free.

Cheers
    E-T

17. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Humm. I had really quick service from EzCNC...well less than a week from order till I had the box of goodies. I must have placed my order on the day he checks his email ;)

18. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Item Price:$186.00 USD
    Total Shipping:$44.00 USD
    Total:$230.00 USD
    Order Description:phlatprinter CNC Motors and

Shipping isn't free at all, it is a huge portion of the purchase. I wish i would have known the breakdown ahead of time. I would have paid alittle more to get higher quality NEW motors.

19. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

20. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

$44 shipping is what showed on my paypal reciept

21. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Jnida63, have you heard anything from easy cnc? They are slow to respond sometimes.

The shipping cost is high and we tried to negotiate a lower price but they sent us an actual shipping invoice from Fedex and it was within a dollar or two from what they are charging.

The actual cost of the kit is $186 and $44 shipping within the United States is included with the $230 price. If they were in the states, we would all have it made!

22. jzwieg@hughes.net

jzwieg@hughes.net New Member

Just got my cnc kit from Easy-CNC.
    $230 hit my charge card.
    I got an invoice and a copy with the shippment for $83.00
    Detail:
    3 Stepper Motors @ $5.00 each for $15.00
    1 Driver Board for $45.00
    1 Power suply for $20.00
    1 Printer cable for $3.00
    No shipping or handeling charge listed.
    The FedEx waybill shows the same details.

My math indicates a $147.00 difference.
    I haven't tested the setup yet. I opened one motor. The casing is banged up.

I will use the kit, but I will be researching other sources for replacement motors.
    I notice that Stepperworld sells kits only and not individual motors.

23. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I think they do it like that because of customs. I think they get charged if it is higher than a certain amount. I see this alot when I get something from China too.