1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Strongest Foam Span Bridge Contest

Discussion in '* Contests * Win Cool Stuff!' started by theothers, Mar 17, 2010.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Strongest Foam Span Bridge Contest

Remember back in the day during shop class when you had to build a span bridge out of pop sickle sticks and then they test it to see who's will hold the most weight? This contest is basically the same idea except we are going to use foam!

Here's how it works...You submit an original bridge design to us including the SketchUp file and Phlat Code text file. We will cut it out and build it. The Bridge that can hold the most weight wins.

The plan is to receive all submissions, cut them out and build them. We will do the weight test LIVE on next week's Wednesday night Phlatboyz show.

ELIGIBILITY: All Phlatboyz and like-minded individuals. You do not have to be a Phlatprinter owner to enter this contest. Just download SketchUp and install the PhlatScripT plug in and go at it.

Rules: All entries must be received by Tuesday, March 23, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. EST. All entries must be emailed to support@phlatforum.com and/or posted include the SketchUp file, Phlat Code text file, and any special instructions you may have for building it. Phlat Code should be generated using the PhlatScripT. We will cut it out on the Phlatprinter using 1/4" fan fold foam (24" X 48") with an 1/8" bit. All parts to the bridge must be foam and fit on one sheet of fan fold foam. FOAM IS THE ONLY MATERIAL!

The support columns will be 4 standard bricks stacked. The dimensions need to be 8" wide by 36" long. This is the road way. No support structure under the road way. We will add a piece of 8th inch ply to the center of the span and hang weight from the center using an I hook.

You must use the SketchUp template provided in this thread for the start of your bridge because it has the template for the I hook holder.

We are not responsible if an entry is not received or if we build the bridge incorrectly. We are not responsible for misalignment's. When possible, please use the tab and slot construction for ease of build. We will be using hot glue to build the bridges. If you notice the bridge is built different than you would have intended, please contact us immediately during the live show on Wednesday, March 24, 2010.

All entries (SketchUp file and Phlat Code file) will be posted in the architecture section of the Phlatforum and will be free to download.

Only one prize will be issued. The bridge that holds the most weight wins. If two or more bridges buckle under the same amount of weight, the winner's name will be drawn randomly from a Phlatboyz hat. We reserve the right to cancel this contest at any time for any reason. Delivery of this prize is undetermined and not guaranteed by any certain date. We will notify the winner through the email address that was used to submit the entry. Only one entry per person.
    We reserve the right to update these rules at any time during the contest. All posts made by kram242 or Strongest Foam Span Bridge Contest thread will be consider part of the rules (in case we didn't think of something )

PRIZE: One Phlatformer Shipping charges included

JUDGES: Mark and Trish Carew

DIRECT QUESTIONS TO: Please post on this thread any questions or contact us at support@phlatforum.com

No purchase necessary to win. Void where prohibited. By entering this contest, you have agreed to all of the rules listed above and that your design is public and can be shared on the Phlatforum for anyone to download. Phlatboyz, LLC is not responsible for any injuries that may occur as a result of this contest.

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Ok guys here is the template road file!
    This will be the base starting point for your designs.
    Feel free to modify the roadway any way you see fit, to add you connecting points etc. With these exceptions: (subject to change)
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    -(roadway)You cannot double it, it must remain a single layer of foam.
    -(roadway)You cannot make it wider
    -(roadway)You must leave the mounting block guide lines and center hole in their place.

-(roadway)You must leave a road clearance of 4" wide (centered) and 2" tall.

-(Span bracing)The span bracing must not be a solid wall, you MUST HAVE HOLES separating them at the maximum of 1" to create the brace

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    There will also be a deflection limitation for bridges that do not break but only bend.
    Keep in mind when designing we are trying to make a strong structure that will bend very little.
    We can't wait to build these and put them to the test! Let's see what kind of engineering skillz you guys have :D
    Have a blast with this contest, its going to be a lot of fun :mrgreen:
    If anyone see anything we may have missed please let us know and we will see if it needs to be added to the rules.
    Thanks guys
    Mark and Trish
    Please download the new updated Sketchup file for the road clearance

Attached files [​IMG] BridgeContestTemplate.skp (513.8 KB)Â [​IMG]

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Something maybe you haven't thought of. With no glue, the road way won't hold to the structure when weight is applied. About the only way to do it is to fold the sides up as one piece.

-Kwok

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

No glue, that is part of the challenge. There are several ways to design it without glue. :ugeek:

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Woohoo!
    This is gonna be an exciting contest.
    I'm in for sure.

6. kram242

Thank you guys
    Trish and I have been thinking about it and we think the glue should be allowed. We understand that it will make the contest a little less of a challenge but at that same time more people could enter and not have to worry about designing special locking tabs, etc. and focus more on the span being the main force for holding of the bridge.
    So here's the update: Glue is allowed! :D
    We will not be measuring the amount of glue, we will be building it like we would a foamie style airplane, using the glue for connection points only.
    Please keep in mind that we will have to build/test these during a show so make them as easy to assemble as possible. Thank you
    This is going to be a lot of fun for sure. I wonder what kind of weight limits we will have :)
    Mark and Trish

7. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

How much can we encroch on the interior of the road span? Is there a minimum size box that must be able to pass through like a car? :?

8. kram242

Good point Bert! The file has been updated to allow for road clearance of 4" wide centered and 2" tall.
    Please see the new updated Sketchup file for this change.

We will try not to change anything else unless we find something that absolutely needs it. So you guys should be able to run with it now :)
    Thank you Bert for finding this.
    Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG]

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

How big should the hole in the middle, for the hook, be? Is a 1" diameter OK?

10. kram242

Yoram, The hole in the middle for the hook is 1/8th. There are score lines in a square around it so that we know where to put the wood for every bridge for the weight test.
    Basically you would want to work everything from the roadway template file.
    On a side note if you guys notice there is a little space on either side of the off limits area of the top of the road. You could maybe double up supports there (hint,hint) :)

11. TigerPilot

I understood about the score lines. I was going to make a small hole so that you can put the square on the bridge without having to put the square first and then screw the hook. So if the hook will go into a 1" hole, I was going to make a 1" hole. Otherwise I'll make it a bit smaller.

Another thing. If the through-way has to be 4", can I make the bridge narrower than 6", as long as I keep the 4"?

12. tsknutsen

tsknutsen Member

I just need some clarification i think :)
    1. What is exactly maximum width of the bridge? is it the width of the bricks that is max, or the width of the template?
    2. Can i post multiple entries?

This is fun :D
    and am i eligible for the contest, shipping fees international is quite steep for wooden parts as i remember, ofcourse on the off-chance i actually win i wouldnt mind paying for shipping.
    - tsknutsen

13. theothers

tsknutsen, thank you for the offer to cover shipping costs but we intend to pay for them within the U.S. or International. That is part of the prize this time.

14. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Tough nut to crack... :)

15. kram242

tsknutsen,
    To answer you questions
    '
    Sorry but only one entry per person is allowed by the rules.

Can't wait to do this show its going to be a lot of fun!

Glad to see you are having trouble with this one Erik. In a good way :) It means to me that we have a challenging contest going :D

Keep up the good work guys!
    Mark and Trish

16. kram242

One thing that has come to our attention is the width of the span bracing. There is a thought that someone may try to make a solid wall for the span. That would defeat the purpose of this contest. So an new rule and hopefully the last one is that:
    -The span bracing must not be a solid wall, you MUST HAVE HOLES separating them at the maximum of 1" to create the brace anything less would be ok. You do not have to worry if a curved surface goes a little thicker just try to keep the bracing width below 1". Mainly we are trying to keep people from making a solid wall for the span, So we have to add this rule.
    So far we have two entries! :D they both meet this requirement. Thank you guys and great job!
    Remember if you complete your bridge you can email it to us at kram2422@comcast.net or PM it to either theothers(Trish) or myself(kram242)
    Thank you and sorry for the last minute changes. Hopefully if you have to make changes they will not be to difficult.
    Mark and Trish
    p.s. If you are unsure what we mean by span bracing check out the picture below Attached files [​IMG]

17. TigerPilot

Now he tells me!!! Oh,well, back to the drawing board ( or was it SU board) :)

18. kram242

:D sorry about that! you can use on solid piece for the walls just be sure that it has holes that have a spacing of a minimum of 1" I will reword the above post.
    Mark

19. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Well, I don't mind redoing my plans, but the new rules are kind of confusing. So members are less than/equal 1" width and holes are more than/equal to 1". Is that right? And I can have up to 4 layers of foam, is that right? That being the inch on each side of the bridge. I will pm you some unfinished plans, for you to check out what I have in mind.

-Kwok

20. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, I just sent you a pm with a sketchup drawing of my proposed bridge to check out. -Kwok

21. Klondar

Klondar Member

My Submission is in, Let me know if it meets muster..

-Glen

22. theothers

We have 4 submissions so far. This is going to be great! Thanks guyz.

Mark and Trish

23. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I have a couple questions Mark and Trish.

I read that the centerline tool making the square and the 1/8" hole needs to remain.
    What about the pink fold lines? Can I delete those? I'm guessing they are for reference but am unsure if I'm allowed to delete them.
    Also how deep do you have the square outline and is that depth editable?

Thanks!

24. TigerPilot

I think you may have to cut them in advance, Mark. :) You may end up with about 20hr of cutting, or more ;) I guess assembling them on the live show and than testing may be the way to go. :?:

25. kram242

Shaun you can delete them (fold lines) your right they are just for reference. I was going to delete them before I cut them :) The green center line and the hole will have to stay for aligning the mounting block so that we can fairly test each one the same. The depth will be a shallow score just enough to see it, but not enough to compromise the design. I may take that one out to if it cause problems and go with the center hole for alignment.

I think your right Yoram! :mrgreen:
    Getting scary!! :shock: Just kidding , it will be fun :lol:
    Mark