1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Success (partly) With 3D

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by BArnold, May 22, 2015.

1. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

I drew a simple rosette in SketchUp 2015 and, after a few trials, got 3d gcode generated with SketchUcam. Overall, it seemed to work but there were a couple of glitches.

Here's what I drew:
    Rosette_01.jpg
    Here's the gcode plot:
    Rosette_1.jpg

The cutting appeared to progress OK, but it stopped before the job was complete. Here's what UGS reported when the job stopped:
    Rosette_1ugs.jpg

And here's the UGS Visualization at that point:
    Rosette_1ugsv.jpg

As you can see, there were still many lines of gcode left as evidenced by the lighter lines on the visualization.

Here's what the end of the gcode looks like in text:
    Rosette_1gc.jpg

What happened?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

the UGS screen shows the end of the file. is that where it stopped?

the end of the file is 'normal', ie stopping when there is nothing more to cut is a normal thing to do, it has reached the lowest Z level and cutting more will not do anything, so it stops 'early'. this is especially useful in multipass cutting.

so, what happened? I have no idea. If the Gcode plotter shows it doing the whole cut, and so does the UGS plotter, then if the machien stops early it is a machine error not a Gcode error. right? maybe too hot, or a power glitch etc?

3. BArnold

BArnold Woodworker

The UGS plotter shows almost half the last section not getting cut. Yet, I don't see anything in the gcode that should have caused it to jump to the end. The end of the gcode produced by SUcam shows "minz exceeded" which would be true for the next plot, so it stopped as it should but that has nothing to do with 3619 lines being skipped. We had no power glitch and none of the cnc components were overheating.

This is all new to me and I'm trying to understand as much as possible.