1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Switch between Phlatscript Versions (Windows Batch File)

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Related Software' started by kyyu, Sep 1, 2009.

1. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

After seeing the discussion on the backward compatibility of the new phlatscript release, I went ahead and created some windows batch files. You can use them to easily switch between the old and new script. This should help people who still need to use the old version. Obviously you can use it as an installer, also.

Here is how it works. Unzip the files. Double click "ps_v918.bat" and v918 is installed. Double click "ps_v920.bat" and v920 is installed. They simply overwrite the files. Also, a text file is place in the sketchup folder, called "Phlatscript_version.txt". You can open it to check your current version. Sketchup has to be restarted, for the new version to show up.

This has only been tested in winxp. If your sketchup directroy isn't "C:program FilesGoogleGoogle SketchUp 7", then you will have to edit the path in the batch file. Just right click the batch file and select "edit" from the context menu.

New installers:

Attached files Phlatscript_installer.zip (219.9 KB)Â Phlatscript_installer_for_su71.zip (225 KB)Â Phlatscript_installer_v921.zip (129.1 KB)Â Phlatscript_installer_v922.zip (130.3 KB)Â Phlatscript_installer_v923.zip (132 KB)Â

2. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Thank you much Kwok. I appreciate you putting in time to help out with the situation.

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Very nice! Simple but effective.

Not only does it solve the legacy problem, but it makes installing a new version so very easy!

Thank you Kwok!

And thank you too Gasmasher. I know you put a lot of time and effort into bringing a better structured tool with more options and such to us all. The new features now and yet to come will be a great addition to the phlatscript.

I am looking forward to working with the new version. And now, I will be able to keep all of my old stuff around for quick edits without having to worry about something affecting the gcode it produces.

Now we have the best of both worlds!! Nice!

4. Flashsolutions

There is a program called ABHotKeys that works very nicely with these batch files.

Basically, you can program any key combination to invoke a sequence of instructions such as invoking the batch file and then opening Sketchup all with one hotkey.

I created a hotkey configuration file for invoking each batch file followed by invoking Sketchup 7 using Ctrl NUM 3 and Ctrl NUM 6 as the hotkeys.

The hotkey pgm is only $15 and is very easy to use and program.

http://rbytes.net/software/abhotkeys-review/ Attached files SketchupHotKeys.zip (4.3 KB)Â

5. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Just an FYI, I committed a fix for testing this evening that addresses the backward compatibility problems by upgrading the old models after a prompt to the user. It will be a week or so before testing is complete but I wanted to let people know before spending money on another product.

6. Flashsolutions

That's cool! That will give us a couple of options. For some of my files, I really like the batch file option because I know it won't introduce any new or changed behavior into my gcode.

For example, there may (or may not) be undocumented behaviors in legacy code that has unintended consequences that are beneficial which might otherwise not be present in a new version which "fixes" the issue.

I am not saying there IS, but there could be. For example, the way in which nested tabs are handled in version 18 vs 20. Even though this is not a real good example, it does represent the point I am trying to make.

As to new programs to purchase, ABhotkeys is just a good all around program that I have used for years. It is just well suited for the task that Kwok developed and has far more uses than just this task.

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Glad you guys find the batch files useful. I have also been using a program call "Macro Express", for years, that will do the same function of automating task. For example, being able to hit a single key with my left hand to save a picture. It really saves, my right hand mouse fingers from suffering repetitive use damage. In the past, there have been times when those fingers actually goes numb. An example of a more complicated function, would be automatically clicking through a webpage gallery and saving each picture. It's worthwhile to make a unique macro, if the gallery is huge (say 100 pictures). That's a few hundred clicks saved from my right hand.

-Kwok

8. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Kwok
    The batch files work great and now with the newest version 921 could you please make another batch file to jump between the 918 and 921. I cant tell you how nice this works out when you need to address older files. Maybe one day the new code will recognize the old without bugs!! :D
    Thank you
    John

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Here is the bat file installer for version 0.921 of the phlatscript. You can add this to the original bat files, if you want to switch between versions.

[file moved to 1st post]

10. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey John the new script does work on the .918 files. It now asks you if you want to upgrade the old script to the new script, and there shouldn't be any bugs :).

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I am still making and using the batch files. So if anyone else is interested, here is a full update of what I have. It's all in the 1st post. :)

12. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Thanks Kwok. These are very helpful for getting around the little issues that have been cropping up in each release.

13. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice job Kwok,
    I am wondering if we should add this to the official Phlatscript download section instead of just the zip?
    What do you guys think?
    Mark

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, have you tried the batch files with Vista or Windows7? Are the default install folder for sketchup the same as winxp? I just added a simple rb to display the version, for my private versions. The logic of object oriented programming just doesn't compute in my brain. But I will get it eventually and then watch out. I will be hacking this stuff to pieces. :D

-Kwok

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Added v923 to 1st post.

16. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Kwok I think they are different because with the 32 bit you still have program file(x86) folder and then the normal program files folder as well. Same goes for the 64 bit versions.
    Tim is talking about making an installer that would let you browse for the sketchup Dir so that maybe the answer to solve these issues. Maybe you can see what he thinks about that? Having an installer for the Phlatscript would be awesome to say the least.
    Thank you for added this on as well Kwok
    Mark