1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

tabs don't show up

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by slowboy, Mar 2, 2010.

1. slowboy

slowboy New Member

Can anyone tell me why bridges/tabs don't show up on my sketchup drawing...when I click the tab button, they appear, but, soon as I deselect tab button, they disappear...also, gcode doesn't pick them up...when I run sheet, they are not cutout with parts.
    I've tried editing group, but apparently, I don't know how/what to do to fix this problem.

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

If you look close the are not gone, just not highlighted when the tool is not selected.
    As for them not showing up in the design make sure that you did not add them after you grouped the parts, that will not work. When you are working the Phlatscript functions on any parts you want them exploded. As a mater of fact with the new script you do not have to group at all just leave them exploded and let the new algorithm find the best cutting path it works great.
    Mark

3. slowboy

slowboy New Member

where can I check out this new script

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

5. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

I'm having a problem of tabs not showing up at all. I'm trying to make a sketchup drawing of a geobat, that I downloaded as a adobe pdf file from RCG Groups (pecanpatch). It seems I couldn't import an adobe pdf file into sketchup, so I used a free program (any pdf to dwg converter) to get it into some form I could import.
    I drew over the drawing, to make the forms. In most cases I erased both lines and re-drew, but there could be some duplicates/overlays - I don't know, because I've dragged the forms all over the page.
    The first problem I had was scaling - the first import made a geobat with a 400' span!!! Once I realized this I used the scaling function on the converter but it was still supersized, about 40' I think. So I used the scaling function on sketchup to shrink the parts down to make a 36" span geobat (or as close as I could get). There must be an easier way to do this?

So I thought once I shrunk it down I could see the tabs. for whatever reason I don't see it marking any tabs. Even on straight lines, and not just curves. I'm at a loss as to why this is.
    Could someone take a look at my sketchup file and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Also, am I laying out the parts right in the protected zones? it looks like I will need to use three FFF sheets to make my first one. Attached files geobat parts1.skp (498.4 KB)Â

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

jonquinn, if you made the tabs when the model was 400' it will almost not show up on the 36' model since you shrank it to a tenth of 1/4". Your phlatlines will also be wrong since they where made for the big scale. I hope I understood you correctly. If you didn't make the tabs in the big scale than just ignore me. :lol:

When iI want to scale a project I don't use the scale tool. I use the tape tool. You mesure (any one knows how to spell-check in Android?) a part, mostley the wingspan, by clicking the tool on both sides. You get a reading of the length displayed, in your case 400'. Before you do anything else type in the new size that you want, in your case 36" and hit enter. You'll be asked if you want to scale the whole model. Hit enter to accept. Press shift&Z to zoom in and your model will be the new size.

7. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I was working on this also a while back.
    Converting to dxf and importing you did quite well. yes it take a few sheets because of the lay out of this plane. The clean up is all you have to do and from what I remember it will be alot of work.
    You have to zoom in to see what I mean and you need to make it 1 line and straighten it out some from this....

To this....

Crash did some great videos on how to clean up a SU file after importing a DXF.

SketchUp Video Tutorials

Cheers
    E-T

I was Thinking Of making the wing span 33"

or adding foam so I could use the full sheet of FFF

Then I could make it out of 2 sheets of FFF

Cheers
    Again
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

thanks Yoram. That seems to be a much easier way to scale a drawing. I think I figured out the setting of tabs on the new drawing (36" span) after I made my entry. It seems it wouldn't let me set tabs unless I did "edit component" - I don't know if this is normal, I don't recall it in the Crash CD. Maybe since its multiple parts joined as one? Like I said, it took a while until I was able to resize.

Now, I seem to be having problems getting this into Gcode. Not sure if that's still the option I want (I did download the phlatscript update - so if I should be seeing something else on the menu bar please let me know. Even so, all I see on the CNCUSB screen is some part I have no idea what. It doesn't even look like my group of parts.
    Thanks for the tips on drawing cleanup ET. But right now making a file on my own that can cut parts in foam (or balsa) will be a huge victory. Also any tips or posts I should look up on how to do a drawing with multiple FFF sheets would be appreciated - or can each gcode/phlatscript file only have one sheet?
    I think once I get this plan down I will re-do it to exactly 36" and add some things like KF airfoil parts .

9. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Get the parts exactly where you want them in the safe area. Then you have to explode them till you cant explode them any more. "You had some Grouped 2x in the SKB file" you cant use the Sketchucam tool while they are Grouped or componets. Then add the Sketchucam cuts and Tabs. Then hit the Create Gcode Arrow.

Hope this Helps

E-T