1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Test flights of the Dagger Dart I designed (Funny)

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by 3DMON, Jan 18, 2009.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Well here is some video of the Dagger Dart I posted the files for on Rcgroups and RCflightcast. I posted the files before flying it so wasn't sure if it would fly or not. Well from this video you will see it didn't very well. After attempt #7 the plane started changing shape radically (a collaboration of all the guys inputs out there), and still didn't fly.
    I didn't want to give up on this plane, so I made a much smaller version as a chuck glider and found the CG had to go way up by the nose of the plane to make it fly right. Because of this I decided not to to pusue it any further. It sure was entertaining though :lol:.

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

lol that was great! Trish and I were cracking up after you brought it back in and the next clip you see it looks all micro :D
    Thanks for the laughs
    MnT

3. 3DMON

This plane made me pursue a different approach that I will be posting eventually. I am finishing up the testing phases and it is a success, I just want to do a few more things before posting.

4. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

I was messing with that 3d and I am thinking it is torque rolling. Maybe not enough wing area to counteract that?

5. 3DMON

Did you try your smaller one you told me about? I'm sure it did the same thing right?
    The plane in the video was actually the V2 version with more wing area and an extended nose. I know for a fact it is CG from my later tests with the little chuck glider I made.
    If it was made as a tractor version it would fly fine, I just didn't like the idea of that for a design like this.

6. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Yes I did. I really thought about scaleing it up just a notch. I have switched gears now and am messing with 7up's bipe. I'll come back around to yours later this week. geez so many designs. I'm liking it. Keeps me thinking.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I looks to me like it needs more vertical fin on the first attempt before the mods
    as I watch the video it looks like the tail end just wants to spin out before it starts to roll.
    I think if you add a bottom fin or even make the top one bigger it might solve the problem?
    Just a guess.
    Mark

8. boopidoo

boopidoo New Member

As you said, it looks like its CG is way to much aft which makes it unstable.

9. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

ahh,,,,, the memories that brings back :lol:

More vertical fin and sweep it way back, CG more forward, setup elevon( :?: ) differential- which would take a few tries.

Last chance try if you can make a few laps of flight--- gyro that sucker :cool: