1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Thank you!

Discussion in 'Fun Fly's' started by theothers, Apr 8, 2009.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

- Toledo Show Story -
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

We told you we have a lot of thank yous...

We can't thank you guys enough for all the support every single person in this forum has contributed. From the guys that came out to help us out to you guys that supported us from home.
    We met some of the greatest people there at the show and had a blast the whole time.
    As you guys know we were really nervous and worried about so many things leading up to the show. These days were full of the stress and confusion of rushing to get things done last minute while trying to maintain strong appearance of professionalism in the eyes of those meeting us for the first time. We are after all representing everyone here and what we have built so far together. There is a point that you reach where (for us at least) everything seems to stop just for a split second and you realize just what is happening.This point came to Trish and I in the form of a little kid we saw running around with a Phlatboyz sticker slapped across his chest. It was really the defining moment where we both were able to release and relax knowing that it has all been worthwhile. He is sure to be a future Phlathead :D
    The show was a complete success and well worth all the effort it takes to make it happen. We were so proud to be there as ambassadors to the project on behalf of the entire Phlatboyz crew.

We would like to personally thank Mike and Ron who took their time to drive 22 hours straight through from Waco Texas to help us with the booth. Mike (being humble) would have you believe that he did it to go to the show, but if you were watching the live feeds you know that he was there manning the booth and giving Trish and I a chance to take breaks and even time to look around the show. Mike and Ron both have shown to us they are selfless individuals willing to give up their own time there at the show ( they never even had the chance to see the whole show) to help further this project. We can't thank them enough and are indebted to them for this and so many other acts of kindness throughout this past weekend.
    Speaking on kindness, if the emotion could ever be molded into the human form it would in our opinion be Randy (foam cutting ghetto monkey). Randy was there the night we arrived waiting out in the cold with us while we waited for AAA to get us into the van that I (Mark) had locked the keys in. :oops:
    For a little background here. We had pulled into the convention center around 5:00. You are only allowed to setup until 8:00 then you are kicked out so that security can come in and guard all the merchandise. They are (understandably) extremely strict on this. We were not sure where to unload the van so we ended up parking next to the convention center and decided to go check in and find out where to unload. We get out of the van (that is packed with everything for the show) and with a rushed door slam proceed to lock everything inside! AAA did come about an hour later and got us in which left us about two hours to set up.
    Randy came to our rescue and helped us non-stop until we were completely setup and ready to roll. From that point on throughout the entire weekend Randy was there helping us with manning the booth, fielding questions and handing out flyer's. I think he found out that he is a darn good salesman when he believes in something. Truly a great man with an awesome attitude, a light hearted nature, and priceless wisdom that helped Trish and I both to relax. Once the show was over Randy was there once again helping to clean up and making sure we were taken care of. Randy is truly one of the greatest people we have ever met and we hope that this show started a long lasting friendship that will continue to grow over the years to come.
    After we had setup and Randy had gone home for the night I realized that I (Mark) had left the power supply for the Phlatprinter MKII at the house! Ok I have to stop right here for a second and let you guys know that up to this point I had been up for two nights straight building the MKII non-stop, jumped in the van at 5:00am and drove 9hrs to the show to start setting up. I know... I know... it's no excuse but it sure is a good start for one :D So back to the story, I had forgotten the power supply and we were at our wits end trying to figure out a way to get one there early in the morning before they let the people through the doors. We decided to post on the forum, to see if anyone that was going could be there a little early and lend us their power supply to use for the show. As it turns out leaving the power supply at home was one of the best mistakes we had ever made. This was one of those life lessons that if you look at it up close seemed to be a grand hiccup in our structured plan we had in mind for the way things should go at the show. Looking back at it now reveals the hidden treasure of being able to meet two super great people that not unlike the others mentioned so far are among some of the most incredibly nice and caring individuals out there. It was Eric (TVCasuality) and his wife Lauren that left us a PM with their phone number saying that it would be OK for us to borrow their Phlatprinter power supply. What are the odds that from our hotel room in Toledo we could see the house of someone that owns a Phlatprinter! That was amazing to us and really hit home that this project is becoming a huge success. So here we are talking on the phone with Eric trying to figure out how to get to their house, and realize that we cannot find a pen anywhere in the room. Its at this point that I proceed to take a paper clip and poke out the address on a scrap piece of fanfold foam :D Its now about 10:30 at night and Trish and I make our way down to the van and head out.
    After about a 5min drive we come up on a neighborhood and start looking for their house. In front of us we see two people standing outside of their garage with the door open. As we go by I take a look inside and there hanging by the rafters is this beautiful Corsair! We knew we had found the right place. (Even if we had not I was still going to stop and talk to these people :) ) Those of you who do not know of Eric's aircraft on the forum here really need to check out the free plans section under warbirds. He is a super talented designer/builder. We proceeded to talk and hang out, Trish and Lauren got along great and that was really cool because Eric was able to give me a quick shop tour. He has built some of the most amazing aircraft I have ever seen. The pictures do not even come close to the coolness of all of his designs and the way that they are built.
    It's really strange how when we meet you guys we really feel like we have known you for so long and there is no awkward moments or uncomfortable situations usually associated with meeting people for the first time.
    Trish and I were talking later how much Eric and Lauren remind us of ourselves. Young married couple starting out in life, we have so much in common. Trish told me later that her and Lauren both could relate to Eric and I doing things like baking bluecore in the house oven to form shapes and asking them to pick up coffee stirrers if they were headed out to the store, etc.. :D We really felt at home with you guys and we thank you for that. So, as we were leaving Eric tells me to take his P-38 with me to the show to display as a plane that was cut out on the Phlatprinter and that he was going to bring his corsair with him tomorrow! They were a huge hit. People could not believe that the Phlatprinter could cut that type of plane out let alone that the cut code was free and anyone could cut one out! I was blown away that Eric made this offer and on top of that he brought his Hellcat as well.. It was the best.
    Eric has a engineering degree but above that he has that burning desire that most of us guys here have and that is the desire to design and create. He is going places and I am certain will be a great success at anything he puts his mind and talents too. I hope to be able to work together with him on future projects and ideas. Trish and I both feel that leaving that power supply was a great mistake enabling us to meet two really great people that otherwise would have turned out different had we have remembered to bring it with us. Thank you for everything Eric and Lauren. Your help really made this show a hit for us all.
    Speaking of hits lets talk a little about Andy the Aviator. As you may or may not know. One of our Phlatprinter customers (Glenn) turns out lives only about 6 miles up the road from us. Glenn is the local barber here in town and goes by the name Evil-Tunes on the forum. Glen is also Andy the Aviator :D Glen is the type of person who truly puts others before himself. To give you an example and little background... I was getting my hairs cut one day about a week before the show and he tells me that he has an entire Andy the Aviator outfit and that he would like to go to the show to hand out fliers to people and point them in the direction of the booth. I was blown away by this. I later went to the house and checked my PM's to find pics that he sent of the outfit he found. It was PERFECT! I mean you could not ask for a more accurate Andy costume! I was floored so I sent the pics to my buddy Dom down in Fl who is the artist that drew Andy up years ago for a project that we were working on together. He was so happy to see them and so excited about the show he yells out on the phone its perfect! Glenn is always thinking of ways to help push the Phlatboyz to the next level. As if this was not enough as some of you guys might have seen during the live feed of the mock booth set up. Glenn shows up with 5 pizza boxes full of around 200 hundred chuck gliders with the Phlatboyz.com logo on the side to hand out to the kids. They were a huge hit! Everywhere we went in the show kids were playing with them and having a blast! Kids were running up to the booth saying is this the place where you can get the free planes :D Glen, you are the man! Thank you so much for taking your own time to be a part of this and all that you are doing to help the Phlatboyz project become a success. Trish and I both look forward to flying together in the near future.
    After Trish and I made it back to the hotel from Eric and Lauren's, it was kinda late we sat on the floor and started to make up the chuck gliders, each one needed a paper clip on the nose and a rubber band around them to hold them together we had stacks of chuck gliders everywhere :) At around 1:30am I was so tired that I just could not keep my eyes open and without warning I laid on my side and passed out right there Trish (bless her heart) kept it going and finished up where we had left off. In the morning I woke up to find that Trish had them all finished and packed up ready to go! Guys I just need to say right now that I am truly blessed with the best wife in the world, we really make a great team. Trish thank you for all your support and help in making this business what it is and will become in the future. I could have never done this without you babe. Love you kid ;) Its all these little things that go on in the background that people never really get a chance to know about. But these are the fuel for the fire without them you cannot move ahead.
    There were many people that helped in this way as the could not be at the show they did what they could to ensure that we had a great show.

We want to thank the programmers of the PhlatScripT and those that have contributed. It was awesome to be able to brag about it. Almost everyone asked us about the software. It was really nice to be able to tell them about this open source project. Everyone was really impressed. We had someone from Google stop by our booth and take pictures so who knows where it will lead. We really want to thank you guys for volunteering your time and talents to help move this project along. This is such a cool aspect of it and we appreciate it more than you could know.

We also want to thank the guys in the background that helped Dom (friend from Fl), Al (Blindflight), and Flashsolutions. You all went out of your way and spent your time and talents to make sure that we looked professional and had the best of the best to display in our booth. The show really wouldn't have been the same without your contributions. Dom made the banner, our shirts (last minute - Thanks Dom), and stickers to hand out. Blindflight made and shipped to the show the F14 that we hung in the booth. You may not have been able to see it because it hung right below the camera. It was awesome! Flash made the ribbed wing that was a huge hit at the show and not to mention the fact that he shipped it to us no questions asked. Eric (dbtoutfit) and his wife for taking the time to rush the ZBN's to us and working with us right up to the last minute to make sure that everything was taken care of you guys are the greatest, sorry to drag you intyo the maddness :) We are so overwhelmed by all the help from everyone. It truly makes us believe that we are heading in the right direction. This is the start and you guys are the pioneers that will pave the roads for the next wave of Phlatboyz. Thank you so much for that words cannot express the happiness we have in knowing you all.

Thank you to all of the other Phlat Club members who traveled to the show and hung out with us in our booth. It was really nice to have a chance to meet all of you. rcav8r, WW8S, davecrash, travisc, and Bohh. We apologize if we have left anyone off of the list. We really are spinning from all of the great people we met.

We want to thank the 5 new Phlat Club members for picking up their Phlatprinters at the show, Nunny, Klondar, jmiracle, lazertoyz, and aaron. Also, we have two current Phlat Club members who have picked up the MKII, blindflight and crash.

We want to thank everyone on the Phlatforum for making this place such an enjoyable and informative place to spend your time. We really loved being able to tell people about it and all of the free plans, information, and great people they can find here.

We want to thank the guys that made the show possible, everyone who came to the show, Weak signals for putting it on, all of the vendors for helping to make such a great show, rcgroups for putting on the ETOC, everyone else who contributed to the Toledo Show.

Mark and Trish
    p.s. If we left anyone out PLEASE let us know we what to include everyone and its been such a whirlwind it is really hard to keep up.
    Thank you

2. ignodth

ignodth New Member

Mark, Trish,

I love you both, I wish you all the best. I am estatic that all these years of your uncompromised drive and determination are paying off first in a level of personal fulfilment, and hopefully in a way that leads to accomplishing all of your goals..you are both truly exceptional. Just remember, when all is said and done..because I know how true a friend you are..you don't have to buy me a new bike...but you do owe me the Belgium Bluffs..for REAL!
    -Dom

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

lol :D Thank you Dom
    You got it.
    Thanks so much
    Mark and Trish

4. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

mark...trish, man what a nice thank-you....man you guya gotta know, personally i was rewarded more than you guys....the feeling the big ghetto monkey got handin one of them kids one of glen's Lil chuck planes.....man, it melted my heart everytime....well what's left of it, lmao. the look on the face of the older fellas when i asked them "do you have grandkid's??" and then handed them a plane. man what a treat for me....actually i gotta thank you guys for letting my monkey butt be a part of your display, as i kinda figured i might be a liability doing so. i know if you didn't get me that vendor pass, i probably would not have had the same interaction with all the nice people i met...also i wanna give a special thanks to glen for hauling me around Toledo and puttin up with my r/c talk. so mark, trish no thanks is needed for me. thank you, for the pleasure of meeting you guys, and all the other things that will be burned into my mind as good memories. peace, randy.

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Randy you are too kind brother, you know we love you :D
    Mark and Trish