1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

the walk of shame.....share your crash stories....

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rjarois, Mar 14, 2009.

1. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

finally got to 50deg in michigan,, finally.....decited to go down to the school yard and maiden my DW foamies 48in juka. ther was a young family in the yard trying to launch a kite....they all stopped what they were doin when i went to the center of the yard with the big foamie....the young children got terriblly excited, and started to yell mom, dad, look!!!.....all ther attention was on my big monkey butt......as i went to strap on my lipo, i seen i forgot the side that sticks on the plane... the furry velcro.....being the monkey i am, i decited just to strap it on without it, it would be fine for a gentle maiden, lmao....i reved up to half throttle, and gave it my nice underhand toss into the breeze.....took off into level flight, was not thinking of trimming yet til i got some altitude.....pulled it up, and ther went the lipo flying off like it had wings, lols....the juka went nose in from about 25 feet, breaking the prop, and cracking a lil foam on the nose.....man i had a long, long.....100 yards long walk of shame.......

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Oops, I hate it when I do stuff like that :) . Thankfully it's not toast.

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Let me say that there must be a bit of Ghetto Monkey in me as well.

Today was the day I was to maiden the new Tribute 4D I have been working on for the past two weeks.

The elevator came out a bit smaller than it should have so at the last minute I decided to hot glue on an extension.

With a 20 mph southern head wind, I launched the new nitro powered foam Tribute and got airborne. Heading into the first turn everything was working good. Then came the downwind leg.

As the plane crossed the centerline a sudden noise appeared and you could see the elevator starting to flutter.

The plane got very difficult to handle and I knew I had to set it down, but not downwind, so I started the turn to line back up with the runway.

The flutter got worse and then it happened. The elevator just blew off and I was left with no control whatsoever....

The plane went into a nosedive and trashed all two weeks of my careful building. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

OUCH! :eek: :cry:
    The wing certainly looks salvageable, maybe the canopy, hammer the landing gear back to shape, pull the mud out of the engine and build another fuselage. Only this time, make the elevator larger to start, okay? ;)

5. rjarois

yea, the funny thing is you know about something....and you do it anyhow, lmao.....

6. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a field repair to me :D :D :D

Actually, I know its always a bummer to crunch a slimer. Hopefully the engine came out alright. I spent many a year at an abandon airfield with nothing but pavement and a bad wreck meant a broken engine along with the occasional 'we never found the carb'.

7. Flashsolutions

I was going to send my first wing to Mark to take to the show in Toledo. It had some bad build errors in it but would have demonstrated the principle of building a ribbed wing.

The wing from the crash looked to be in pretty good shape so I decided to peel it open and see how bad it was on the inside.

One half of the wing had severe damage. Every rib was broken, but surprisingly enough, the other half had only one broken rib so I removed the carbon fiber tube and servo and will instead ship that one to Mark. He can then show how a foam wing can survive a 30 mph nose dive head first crash :lol: .

As to the engine, I think it survived but have not thoroughly checked it out yet. The spinner and prop were obviously totaled, but the shaft does not appear to be bent so maybe I got lucky. The soft ground where it hit may have helped prevent major damage.

I am already back to work in Sketchup, pounding out a reduced scale electric version. I think I can put this in the air rather quickly and decide whether or not I want to have another go at the nitro version.

8. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Hey, look at it this way guys, at least you don't have to cut the next one out by hand... :lol:

9. rjarois

lols, seven, ther is allways a upside, lols....

10. rjarois

lastnite the maiden flight played over and over in my mind.......more funny than to see that lipo launch from my model, was me still on the sticks, thinkin pull out baby, pull out..lmao....i think i bent the stick on my radio trying to pull out, lmao. im such a monkey arce, lmao.....

11. 7up

LOL! No shame in trying. :lol:

12. Flashsolutions

Not nearly as bad as a fellow flyer I know did last year... As his plane plowed into the ground he was observed flying a hawk that just wouldn't turn on command! The sticks were a flyin' but the plane sure wasn't.

I know that feeling of playing the event over and over in your mind. I was doing that at 3AM this morning, realizing an important step I left out of my build process. I nearly always put packing tape or Oracal sheeting over my hinged surfaces to prevent air from getting in there and to add strength to the hinge line.

Of all planes to forget this on, a nitro foamy which has far greater stress on all of the control surfaces and I am expecting a couple of 1 inch hinges to hold in foam! What an idiot!

But I can just picture you in my mind pulling back on sticks trying like crazy to make the plane obey your command. I think we have all probably done that at one time or another.

13. rjarois

seven, that was the most shame about it, lmao....as i crawled out of the yard, i was like man, what the hell was i thinkin, lols, as i hear the kids ask, mom, dad what happened??...oh the shame, lols...

14. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Randy, what happened to you we call 'get homeitis' in the full scale flying. You know that the weather is bad and you should not fly but you don't want to sleep away form home with one leg to fly left and you go anyway, and that's when it gets you and the next day people read about it in the paper. Been there, done it, almost became a statistic.

With all the people watching it and with the weather finally giving in, maybe for one day only, 'get homeitis' got the better of you.

Yoram

15. 7up

I can just here those kids whispering to each other...

"Those don't fly very long, do they?"

HAHAHA! Whew! lmao now! :lol: :lol:

16. rjarois

lmao @ seven :lol: :lol:

17. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I thought the kids were saying "I didn't want it to crash yet" :lol:

18. 66tbird

share your crash stories....

I wouldn't known where to start ;) I've lost $$$'s on fly-aways OOS in the thermal arena, and lost the same amount per plane while racing. That's why I went foamy electrics.

Now you may ask how does one lose a glider OOS (out of sight)?. I used to hunt and fight to core that big lift, now I know better when the signs are there. Rising columns of air 500' across full of trash, empty kiddy pools, clothes from a clothes lines and dust stroll through ten a day from March through October. If you get your poly floater into one, you'll be lucky to have any control, and if you can get the nose down and the plane flying you may make it out in time, but you'll be a speck in the sky. Most of the time you'll jettison some vital part and make that one point landing. Been there done that, and have had someone from as far away as 200 miles call to let me know they found a half a wing with my number on it.

Racing? well its racing! most things doing 100 to 200 mph+ don't survive to well hitting the ground or another plane. Spectacular? you bet. Dangerous? I thought so and moved another direction. Expensive? very. Rewarding, its the best rush going and very little comes close to the intensity.

Foamy crashes, opps, bounce, couple of pieces and little glue and lets do it again :D

19. rjarois

ok, tbird, just share the funny ones then :lol: i still laugh at the sight of that lipo flying off....never had that happen before :lol: :lol:

20. Flashsolutions

I share tbirds views precisely. I haven't lost one yet due to thermals but I have all but abandoned nitro planes for the reasons he has already given.

Moving on.... Yesterday was an unlucky day for many of us at our field. I can't recall a day when so many planes went down in a pile of rubble.

Even my old faithful biplane which I now know like the back of my hand took a spill and folded the nose up like an accordion.

At the field, I looked at the trashed remanents of my favorite plane and declared it shovel ready.

After getting home, I took it to the workshop with intentions of sawing off the nose and building a new piece for it, but I didn't have any of the covering material on hand for that pattern so I decided to see if I could straighten it out.

Since I cover my planes with Oracal Vinyl, all of the foam was intact. I plugged in the glue gun and started injecting glue into the critical areas and pressing the foam back into place working from the tail to the nose a little at a time.

Amazingly enough, I was able to restore the nose piece without having to replace it! I added carbon fiber to re-enforce the nose against future impacts, but aside a few wrinkles, I will be able to fly again this morning.

This Oracal Vinyl is amazing stuff! Had it not been present, the damage would have been more severe and I probably would not have been able to put it back together. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. 66tbird

Good rebuild flash, it looked rebuildable. stronger now I'll bet

ok, tbird, just share the funny ones then :lol:

Ok, I'll tell you about the one that still makes me laugh, however cold to some it may seem. There is a German word for feeling joy over someones misfortune. Schadenfreude I believe. This is where I learned that word.

I had a friend that I and our friend circle put up with his ways for a lot of years (40). The type of friend that never pays back a loan or always bums food, money, RC parts, your car, and always has to jones away any stash. If you've never had that type of friend in your circle then you've missed out in many ways . Mine was Mr R.

Mr R was an ok pilot, learned fast but still lacked that little common sense thing. The rest of the friend circle was quite happy with flying 2M (2 meter) gliders in my west field during the week. But Mr.R was always coming in last or close to it during our friendly contests of different flavors. So Mr R builds a custom 3M ship for an edge. A Olympic 900 I think it was, a big poly floater that weighed 2-3x what the others 2M ships came in at.

Being that I was the safety officer I did the maiden by group request and it was a good ship, fast glide and a noticeable difference in kinetic energy over the 2M stuff. I hand off the tx to Mr. R and clue him in on those facts. 'Yea, Yea' he says, I'm going win each flavor today with this ship'. We all chukle and the games began.

Mr. R was becoming more and more frustrated as the day and brews went on. He couldn't get the kinetic energy thing and missed spot landings constantly resulting in what I thought would be an angry spiking of the tx after a rather large comical ground loop landing.

'This is driving me crazy' he screams all red faced and muscle flexing like a pro wrestler. He storms over and gets his plane then sets in in the pit area and screams at it 'if you had a set I'd kick you in them you stupid plane' Of course the rest of us are laugh along having fun watching a 35 year old man turn 10 before our eyes. Yeh, 10 is about right because next he turns and kicks the foam ice-chest causing it to explode all the ice, beer and food all over. One guy starts picking up cans, another food and ice while another is already whipping up a big batch of epoxy. Because you've got to have an ice-chest in 110+ heat. The typical 'why do we put up with this' feeling about Mr.R quickly overcame us again.

After an hour of relaxing refreshments we started the flying games again. Next card draw was 'toss and catch'. Simple really, just hand launch, do a circle (or 180) and catch-- 10 times in a row, ten minutes to do it, if successful add 10 points to running score.

'Finally a card I can win' proclaims Mr.R. Take a pass on this one I tell him, it's to big and heavy, plus its the ships maiden day. I guess my condescending remark hit a chord because I got the big f u :eek:

Mr.R stood facing the wind for a good minute after the clock started. Just letting the breeze hold the plane up bouncing from his little pushes as he found the trim setting and gathered his thoughts. Then with what would be one of his last deep breaths for a week he started his 240 lbs of out of shape self on that 'give it all you've got' four step-skip handlaunch. It was a good launch, we all were very impressed and vocal about it, a solid 20 feet up, 40 feet out and no stall into an 5-7mph breeze.

The side line chatter quieted down as Mr.R didn't immediately make a gentle turn to his down wind side but kept going out to make a procedural turn (270L + 90R) for a downwind catch. Which the turns he made very well thou be it way to early because now he had transferred all the energy from the launch into a 3+ lb. model flying straight at him 3 ft off the deck and 20 ft away. Its direction under his full control, he side steps a little to line up for that prefect catch.

I've often wondered at what point did he known this glider had way to much speed to flair in for a gentle 'stall it int your hand' catch, or if his stubborn attitude just blocked that thought. Or if the plane had revenge on its mind from the earlier comment directed its way. He never said anything as it came in, or talked about it after.

That gliders nose was 6'' longer than any 2M he'd caught before and it weighed 3x as much as anything before and it was going way to fast. The result was the baseball equivalent to a bulls eye, or a bowling's lofty 7-10 split, I mean it was dead n-ts spot on. Mr.R buckled over dropping the tx, battery popping out. The glider dropped unharmed in front of him. Then in slow motion Mr.R fell to his knees missing the fuselage and crushing the wing with each knee. Then he face planted into the custom V tail shattering that also. If I'd had it on vid I'd be 10k richer :D

So we gathered him up and took him to the doc. He lived minus one of the two parts.

22. rjarois

lmao, good one,, :lol: :lol: face plant, then holding your groin... :lol: :lol: but did he do "the walk of shame" sounds like he did the "crawl of shame" :lol: :lol: