1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

thoughts on MK1

Discussion in 'GENERAL Phlatprinter talk' started by scribble, Jan 5, 2012.

1. scribble

scribble New Member

I am considering purchasing the box kit for the mk1 and have questions from people who have used the. The initial usage is going to be for r/c plane plans but I am wondering what other items people have done with the mk1. I am curious if you can do a 3D cut on the mk1 like you can do on the mk3. I am very curious to what advantages the mk3 has over the mk1 and if it is worth the extra cost. I am lucky enough to have a cad designer/ programer and an electronics wiz in the family to help with the creations.

2. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Hi Scribble,

I am unable to help with the MKI, MKIII questions but I am very envious of your designer / programmer / electronics wiz. :dance3:

Tweakie.

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

My $0.02
    For what it was/is the MK1 is a fine machine. A great learning tool, and it works very well. A mod you will want to do right away is a belt drive. Other than that, there are a few other mods that are helpful, but that is the biggest one in improvement, cost, and time. I did cut wood with my MK 1.5 ( modded with belt drive), and it did just fine, but it is really nice to see the bit cut when doing multi-pass as with the MK 1.x you can't see any of the passes until the bit breaks through. With the overhead gantry it is also a lot easier to home the machine IMO, particularly the Z-axis. I turn off my MK///, and hand crank the Y & Z axis. This is really handy as I cut various widths and thickness materials. Homeing switches wouldn't help much here, and with the MK 1.x it was no where as easy, particularly the Z as I was able to turn the Y axis by hand due to the design of the belt drive.

As I mostly cut wood with mine, I also find the dual rollers of the X axis really help with skew.. that is after the one issue that some of us had with early kits was worked out. I still use guides for wood, but I don't think they are really needed. They were a must with the MK1.x

On my PP/// I am running the stock steppers, and the original driver board from my MK1 and am pleased with the results. I know some guys upgraded all around, but I saw no need for that.

On my MK1 I upgraded a the Y and Z to the ones that are now stock on the PP/// (they were when the PP/// started shipping, not sure what they are using now) I only upgraded those as I was chasing speed on the Y before the belt drive mod, and to make up for some binding I had in the Z. In hind site, the original, original ones were fine.

So if you want to really build this from scratch, and you are counting pennies, then the MK1 would fit the bill. If not the PP/// is the way to go. IfF you add it all up, and need to get everything, I can't imagine the MK1 will cost all that much less.

I can't really comment on 3D as I have only done 2.5D, but I don't see where it would be an issue with the MK1 as this is more of a software thing as opposed to hardware. The difference would be that you can see what's going on with the PP///. With the MK1.x it will be a surprise.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I agree with rcav8r. There is substantial difference between an overhead and 'underhead' gantry and you will notice it once you've tried both. If you can afford the difference in the price, go for the MK , hands down. There is someone, here in this forum, who just finished his MKI kit and his total was close to $1,000 which is a realistic price. The MK is not that much more money and well worth it. Just my :02cents: :D

5. matt_o_70

matt_o_70 Member

I just complete my MK1 kit build. I did opt to add the USB board which brought the total to $900. So it could be built stock ~$750. about half the cost of the MK3. So there is a significant price difference, but if you have intentions of cutting other materials then it would likely be wise to do it right the first time.

I can absolutly see where the MK3 would be wise if you want to cut other materials and do 3D cutting. I am very happy with the MK1 for foam cutting.

the MK3 as it has all the benefits of upgrades and overhead gantry, etc that you would expect from evoloution of the product from where it began..

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

For foams, balsa and lite-ply, the Original Phlatprinter is an awesome, work-horse of a machine. I love mine. I am sure you will be satisfied with either one. :doubleup:

7. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

What Buk said !
    I Love my MK1. But at the same time, I love my PP
    the PP I isn't that hard to set at home . But the PP is just so simple
    to home its just crazy easy.
    I did do some 3d milling on my Original. but being able to watch the progress with the
    PP as the work gets done is just so rewarding ............
    :02cents:

8. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

PPIII You can change attachments as well. Sharpie. Dremel. RotoZip. Bosch Colt. Stock. And bit changes are a breeze compared to the underslung gantries.

9. scribble

scribble New Member

ok so looks like a mk3 is going to have to wait a long time to save for that. I thought when I looked at them earlier last year they wretched allot less.

10. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I've last checked the PhlatStore and checked the prices. Rather than wait a long time to save for the PP the bones kit will get you started cutting foam. You may be able to build the kit for less than half the PP price.

Survey says: GO FOR IT :banger: