1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Three Sheets to the wind

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by Gefahren, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

In anticipation of getting a MK3 I went back to my single wing and decided to make a full plane out of it. I had not realized it's been a whole year since I first did that. (Also a whole year since my dreams for a MK2 were crushed... :cry: ). What I turned up with took three sheets of FFF hence the name. I had a hard time getting the cut order to look right so if someone wants to take a look at it that would be great.

Basicaly its a 41 3/4" wingspan Vee-tail low-wing monoplane. I went through the stuff I have laying around and found some retracts and nice shock asorbing landing gear to use on it. It should use 6 of the HXT900 size servos for everything (ailerons, flaps, elevator, tailwheel)

I havn't done a pattern to vacuform a canopy yet, that'll have to wait untill I can get it cut out.

It's split into three separate files cause I'm trying to learn sketchup again and just ended up that way.

If anyone is willing to try cutting this out please post some pictures and let me know if anything is wrong. I think the parts should fit only one way together, but you never know!

O, it only uses the main gear from that set of shock asorbing landing gear. I'll have to find a small tailwheel to put on it. And i've not put a battery tray or a proper place for the elevator and tailwheel steering servos yet. I was having trouble visualizing where I wanted them so some modifications are needed to it.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] Three_Sheets.zip (315.3 KB)Â Three_Sheets_Fuse.cnc (46.5 KB)Â Three_Sheets_Tail.cnc (10.6 KB)Â Three_Sheets_Wing.cnc (38.4 KB)Â

2. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Sheesh, I just discovered I forgot one piece of the fueslage. but I did fix the problem with the wing. I've got to make the template parts for the canopy and show the model in Sketchup better than I have it. I'll update the files in the first post as soon as I can.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Sweet plane Gefahren, I would like to see how the vtail/low wing design flys.
    I have to say this is an awesome job on the design. The way everything is almost a complete fold up design. Nice job
    Mark and Trish

4. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Ok, I went back and finished up this plane. I have now way to cut it out untill my MK3 arrives so if someone wants to check it out I would appreciate it. I set it up for a 1/8th bit in FFF.

The improvements I've made are a better settup for the retracts to fit in, a removable front fuselage deck so you can actually get to the battery plus a battery tray to put the battery in. I also ventilated the fuselage to better cool the battery. Also a servo tray to hold all the servos for the tail section. I still have to wait untill I can actually put one together to figure out what I need to do to vacume form a canopy and cowling for it. I did put some basic lines in to show what the canopy should look like.

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

A work of art beyond belief! This is awesome Gefahren! I will give it a go on the Phlatprinter 3 :D

6. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

That's a lot of plane for 3 sheets :) Neat design... kinda reminds me of a plane from way back... I forget the name, but there was a series of V-tails. Low wing, shoulder wing and glider.

How are you bracing/reinforcing the tail where it joins the fuse?

7. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

I'm not bracing it at the moment. The parts I handcut (just the tail section of the fuse and most of the tail itself) seemed really strong. It may end up needing some reinforcement to keep the Vee from flatening out when you give it up elevator, but I won't know untill I see it in action. If it did need bracing my favorite thing to use is a 1/32 plywood doubler to the rear spar on the tail.

8. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Just so anyone knows when they go to cut this out I set everything up to be cut from the side of the foam with printing on it. That way when the plane is assembled all the writing should be inside the plane and the only places where it would be visible on the outside would be the underside of the Flaps, Ailerons and Ruddervators.

I think it's super cool that Mark wanted to cut this out, especially on a live show. I had to go tell my wife just because it made me so excited that someone else liked my design too! After I get the plane put together I'll post an exact hardware list from HobbyKing and any changes that need to be made. Thanks again, this just made my week!

9. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Just downloaded the zip file posted.

The zip file contains a Sketchup Backup file (SKB), not the SKP file. You might want to correct that...

10. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it when I go home for lunch

Ok, I fixed the .zip file in the first post to have the correct .skP sketchup file in it instead of the .skB backup file. I had clicked the sort by extension button in windows and didn't realize what I was grabbing the first time.

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Good job. That's a very interesting wing design. I was just curious and checked it for fit. Looking good!

[​IMG] Attached files [​IMG]

12. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Ok, the plane arrived today (thanks again Mark & Trish!) and I test fitted all the parts together and only found two little things wrong. Besides the slight wing warpage that the post office put in it, everything came undamaged. There was a problem with the cutting file that caused some slippage while cutting the wing so it will be shifted about 1/4" to one side, but I can't complain at all.

All these pictures are without any glue or tape holding it together, just dry fitting of the parts! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

That is looking sweet! Great job designing this, looks like it will turn out very nice!

14. jovian

jovian Member

Hows this one coming?

15. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

I got my new rollers installed Night before last, and tonight I'll get everything calibrated (and the Smoothstepper does backlash now!) so I'll get another one cut out this weekend with all the changes.

16. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Sounds good... FWIW, my calibration was spot on after installing the new rollers. Defiantly not a bad idea to check though.

Question for ya... How did you draw the wing sheeting? I am getting to the point on my Kadet drawing where I need to do the sheeting for the wings. I was just going to make a sheet slightly longer than the chord, glue on, and trim, but I like the tabbing/slotting you did for the sheeting. That should really lock it in.

17. jovian

jovian Member

Curious on this as well. I'm working on a 60" but things dont come out right. Was thinking of building this to pickup a few techniques.

18. Rowedent

Rowedent Member

This looked like a great plane, did it ever fly? If it did, i want to make one!
    It seems a bit unclear on many of these posts whether the planes were ever flight tested...some like ken's obviously were, but others are unknowns...