1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Tutorial on converting DXF to Phlatscript SKP?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by metasim, Jan 22, 2011.

1. metasim

metasim New Member

I'm wondering if there are any tutorials out there showing the process for converting a generic DXF/DWG file to something ready for Phlatscript? Every time I've tried I've ended up with a mess, usually due to bad DXF conversion (either via the google 7.1 converter or independent one found on the net).

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I use SU7 and it imports DXF files fine, just make sure you have the scaling set on importing the file or it turns out huge.

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yep, what Jeff said. I do sometimes have to make a face out of a piece. Here I just delete a line segment, and re-draw.

4. metasim

metasim New Member

The biggest problem was that when you zoomed into circles, they had lots of weird jaggies, but that could have been an issue with the original DXF file (will have to look). If circles are done properly in the DXF file, will they show up as proper circles in SKP?

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

SU ( as in all CAD programs that I know of ) does not do perfect circles. They are all little line. Some more than others. SU has a default for this, and it is 24. I'm not sure how to make a global change for this as this has worked well for me.
    From the SU help: http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/ ... swer=94797

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Those bad DXF conversions from pictures are crap. Even straight edges, can be made of many segments. Not to mention all those weird jaggies, you mention. I gave up on them a long time ago. Maybe you can trace them, to get a good sketchup file?

I don't think dxf has arcs and circles, but I remember seeing a dwg file where these were retained.

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Here is an example dwg file I made. If you import this into sketchup, you will get a circle, not just edges. No face, though. When I tried for a face, then it was separate edges with a face. I had to zip it, "extension dwg is not allowed":

Attached files circle import test.dwg.zip (5.8 KB)Â

8. metasim

metasim New Member

Kyyu,

What you describe is what I"ve seen also: even straight lines made up of weird jaggies. I got the original DXF off of rcgroups.com. Turns out it's moot because there's a phlatscript version already on this site!! (Lil' Ripper).

FYI: I found a skp extension called "weld" (or something like that) which fixes those cases where you have a string of line segments that don't connect in a chain to allow for faces. Of coarse you almost always have to "phlatten" the edges too.

Thanks for the followup.

metasim