1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Two New Twirls

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by Chuck, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks to all the help received, my MKII is up and running great. I cut out two new "Twirl" augogyros. The cut file needs some attention as it has errors and some omissions that would be helpful. However, as it is, it is possible to make a nice looking aircraft. Hopefully I will succeed in posting a couple of photos here. Yeah, I know they are "gaudy", but they are the colors the people I made them for wanted. Graphics are all colored packing tape (very light, won't come off but can be removed without damaging the foam). Thanks to everyone for your help with my machine.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana... Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Pretty darned slick... How do they fly? I've always wanted an auto, but the ones I have seen fly, or should I say attempted to fly, all ended in disaster. Most by very competent pilots, so I know that wasn't the factor.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Chuck these are fantastic! :doubleup:
    Love the way the landing gear is attached thats a great idea
    Way to go!
    Mark and Trish

4. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Mark, thanks for the note. The LG is simply attached with cable ties. No glue. Glue might have been a good idea but I have learned whatever will break will break at the weakest point so the glue holds and the foam or lite ply breaks. Attached this way is easy to remove or replace if necessary and it seems pretty good and tight. We'll see...Finding a way to attach LG to a 3mm depron plane has always been problematic for me. A hard landing usually breaks the foam somewhere. This looks more stable.

rcav8r...these fly great! CG is not real critical and they handle the wind easily. In fact, a little wind makes them ore fun. They will loop with no problem and I have landed them after losing one rotor - no harm done. They are 3mm depron and therefore are fragile. If something gets broken, though, a little glue fixes them right up.

Chuck