1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Unfold Tool Tutorial

Discussion in 'Sketchup Tutorials' started by kram242, Dec 20, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Here is a crash course video tutorial to show you one way that the unfold tool can be used for your models.
    Hope it helps out
    Mark

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Good explanation Mark.
    Be careful on using the Phlaten selected edges though.
    It probably would not be noticed on that particular model but if the angle was steep it would trim a lot of the part off because it flattens it as if you were looking at it from directly above.
    Unfolding to the square on the zero plane is the best way to make sure the whole part is there.

3. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

That is one of the things I would like to fix in the phlatten tool but I never think about it. It really wouldn't be too difficult to fit points on a plane and then do rotational translation to match the Z0 plane.

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I think a lot of people would be super happy to see that one.
    I know I would.

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, thanks for the tutorial. I had looked at that, nacelle file, at the rcgroups thread and could not for the life of me figure out why it looked so weird (with those knots in the lines). And I could not fix it. The 1st few minutes of your tutorial really improved my understanding, alot! I have plenty of experience with 3d cad (mechanical stuff). But the 3d modeling part of it, I am just beginning to learn.

Got a question about how you made your video. What software did you use for the titles and how do you do the fast forward parts? No need to give alot of details.

-Kwok

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks guys, I know that second method would not work out too well until you get all the faces on the same angle and then rotate it before Phlatting it but I was really pressed to fit this in the YouTube 10 min window they have. I figured that it would not be that hard to understand what to do there from the first method.

Tim that would be awesome! I think this tool is one of the best ones in the script and use it all the time. I almost think it needs its own icon.

Kwok, The screen capture was called Camtasia Studio 5 the avi file it produces was edited with windows movie maker(old version) I don't like the live version of movie maker it just keep crashing on me :)
    Mark

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I agree, I would like to see an icon for it too, rather than going though the right-click menu.

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I don't see why you would need an icon for phlatten, since it doesn't function that way. You don't click something to phlatten it. So you wouldn't need to switch into phlatten mode. If you want quick access, then put it in the plugin menu. Then you can assign a shortcut to it.

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Ok, Mark & TigerPilot. If I read what you want, you can try this. It seems to work. Just put this hacked script in the plugin folder, then you can assign a shortcut key to use this "Phlatten" script.

[file deleted]

-Kwok

10. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

A short-cut is a good way too but to have a button on the top next to the other buttons would be better. You select the part to be phlatened, click on the icon and... done!