1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Using the Centerline Tool

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by firetrappe, Dec 16, 2008.

1. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

I thought I'd start a new thread about using one of the latest PhlatScript functions.

The Centerline tool is a great addition to the PhlatScript thanks to Pete, but has a few quirks in its current state. There are a couple of tips that will help you generate gcode with optimized toolpaths when using this tool :

1) Use the Weld.rb plugin to convert segmented lines into polylines. When you select a line using the centerline tool it will turn green. If only part of the line changes color then it needs welding, you can click on each segment of the line separately instead, but when you cut the foam the spindle will retract between each segment which can increase the processing time significantly. Polylines will be cut in a single pass.

2) Apply centerline cuts to lines in the order you want the Phlatprinter to cut them. Just like grouping parts in the order you want the Phlatprinter to cut them out, the centerline tool works the same way. If you apply centerline cuts randomly to your drawing then there can be a lot of time wasted while the spindle is moving between lines. If you apply centerlines in an ordered fashion (from the top of your drawing to the bottom for example) then this will also speed up your processing time.

Other tips worth noting....

Sometimes you will click the line you want to apply a centerline cut to and it won't change color. I've found that if you zoom in on the line you want to select and move the cursor around slowly until you get an 'on edge' or 'midpoint' message appear and then click, the line will change color every time.

Avoid using the right-click 'context menu' to apply centerlines to multiple line selections. At the moment if you use this method the toolpaths created appear to be random and can take an age to cut. I imagine this will be corrected in later versions of the Phlatscript, but for now I would use the methods I have mentioned above.

Finally, I have attached a zip file containing a SU7 file that was being discussed on RCG. The file is a simple Christmas tree that required detail 'engraving' into the foam. The file shows the 7 steps I did to create the centerline detailing. The cut file (Gcode/Phlatcode) that this file produces could be optimized further, but it is quite good and hopefully will help some of you that want to experiment with centerline cuts.

Note : the attached file is intended to be cut using a 1/16" (1.5mm) bit and 1/4" (6mm) foam.

Cheers,
    Si. Attached files XMASTree3.zip (206.3 KB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice job firetrappe,
    This is a huge help there was a few things in here I never found out while testing this version of the PhlatScripT.. This is one of the many reasons this forum will be so great into the future.
    Now we can all test and find these things together and be able to fine tune this to an even better program than it is.
    Thanks again, really nice work.
    Mark

3. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

No probs Mark, there are so many ways of using the Phlatscript that it's going to take a while for us, as a community, to find the best ways of using all the features efficiently.
    I'll try and explain how to manually generate pockets later on, but the Weld plugin is making it very hard to write a definitive method. I've tried reading about Ruby so I can modify the Weld plugin myself to run multiple times automatically, i'm sure it's only a few lines of code that need changing, but I just can't figure it out at the moment.

Si.

4. kram242

That would be a cool plugin! and maybe Pete could incorporate it into the PhlatscripT some how. I think you are right, and you know this is really working out for the best, in giving away the PhlatscripT and keeping it open source will allow it to grow like no other software could ever!
    This is going to be a great adventure for us all. Glad to see you guys all onboard in the first stages of this project. It could not be done without your help.
    Thank you
    Mark

5. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

is it possible to tab a centerline? (in case I'm not using the centerline as a centerline, instead using it to cut maybe an alieron path?)

6. kram242

Not yet but you can set the depth to 99% and then cut the rest out when its done.

7. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Okay, i've got a bit further investigating the easiest way to use to centerline tool to create pockets. I've had no luck modifying the Weld.rb script to run multiple times, but I have found a workaround.

You'll need another Plugin called BezierSpline v1.21 which is available here : http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf ... hp?t=13563
    (i'm afraid you'll need to register to be able to download it, but registration is free and quick).

BezierSpline is quite a complicated plugin, but the one function that it provides is really easy to use. The plugin adds an option to the right-click context menu which allows you to convert a 'welded line' to a 'polyline'.

Before I found this plugin I sometimes had to weld a series of segmented lines many times before the centerline tool would select the whole line with one click. This was the reason I was trying to modify the weld.rb plugin to automate the process.

Now, once a series of segmented lines have been welded once I can select the line, right-click it and choose 'convert to..Polyline'.

Using this 2 stage process, (weld then convert to polyline) the centerline tool works first time, every time and when the gcode is generated the line will be cut in a single pass.

I hope this helps some of you guys who are experimenting with creating manual toolpaths.

Si. Attached files [​IMG]

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice find!
    I'll have to play with that.

9. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Ok, i've had a few requests for a 'Pocketing Tutorial', so i've finally worked one up today showing how I do mine. I still haven't got a mic, so i'm afraid you'll have to make do with subtitles.

There's one error i've noticed in the video... When I offset the first path it offsets in the wrong direction after I type in a value :oops: .

Anyway, hope this helps some of you until we get a pocketing feature built into the PS.

Si.

Attached files pocket tutorial.wmv (11.1 MB)Â

10. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice Tutorial!

That convert to polyline is the trick ;)

11. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Si,

Thanks for the video tutorial. I am looking forward to pocket milling with the Iron Phlatprinter. Great job as usual.

Ken :D

12. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

No worries guys. it's pretty easy once you get used to it.

You can usually get away with a single inside path if you're pocketing a regular shape.