1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

VERY frequent lockups

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by Loranger, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Loranger

Loranger New Member

I have used the scripts off and on for a couple years for projects on my CNC, but I have noticed that the scripts locks-up Sketchup when I try to do basic things like an outside cut.

Most of my files are native Sketchup, but from time to time I import STL files. I have attached an example of both the STL native and the imported platen I have problems with.

When I try to add outside cuts to the dsub connectors I can sometimes do them and other times sketchup locks-up indefinitely. When successful, it is usually only 1-2 instances that work. Any ideas what is being done wrong. This example is with a basic make install, fresh install of the phlatscrips (no settings changed).

I have seen these types of lockups across multiple machines and software revisions (both sketchup and phlatscripts).

Hopefully someone can help to identify the culprit.

Attached Files:

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

Hi
    I will have a look at your files tomorrow but in the meantime disable the sketchup 'auto save' feature. The auto save is known to cause issues.

3. Loranger

Loranger New Member

Thanks Swarfer, will do on the auto-save configurations.

4. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

Hi
    Your main problem is that your imported STL is not a 'flat' drawing, it is 3D. Therefore the face you are adding cuts to is not on the Z=0 plane. Just rotate your drawing and look at the bottom of the plate.
    Next problem is that the face is not the correct way up. It is showing white up, but SketchUcam wants blue side up.

How to solve:
    1. import the STL
    2. select the top face
    3. ctrl-c then ctrl-v to copy it, place it somewhere in the safe area
    4. triple click the new face to select everything
    5. right click, 'Phlat Edge|Phlatten selected ' (this ensures that all vertices lie on the Z=0 plane) . This is critical, when I did not do this Sketchup froze when adding holes, indicating that some vertices are not on the plane of the face.
    6. now add your holes and cuts.
    I have attached the result of my editing. I added construction lines for the centers of the drilled holes and then removed the hole outlines and added plunge holes. (yes, I saw the 1/16" hole but added a 1/8" there anyway, I will solve that in a moment). Then inside cuts and outside cuts. outside cuts are orange lines, so you can see immediately if your face is the wrong way up.

Now, that 1/16" hole..... since a plain plunge hole just uses the current bit size we can do this:
    1. select that hole
    2. generate Gcode, save it named 'plate-small-hole.cnc'
    That generates gcode for only that hole. Put in a 1/16" drill bit and run this gcode.

Now select everything, unselect that 1/16" hole and generate Gcode, name this 'plate-everything-else.cnc'
    fit your 1/8" mill bit.
    Run the gcode.
    this will drill all the holes to 1/8" and cut the cutouts and finally the outline.
    (took me longer to type this than to generate the 2 Gcode files would take :)

Hope this helps...

Attached Files: