1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Wanna make a box?

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Anonymous, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

[​IMG]
    I saw this linked over at Joe's Hybrid CNC forum, and thought there just might ;) be some uses for it over here. The files are made for laser, but seem to work just fine on a router also. The method seems to be to make a box, import the pdf to Sketchup, output the Gcode to Mach, make a box. I have not used the program yet - be the first and write a review for us all! :)
    http://www.rahulbotics.com/project-details.php?id=12

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Cool little program Dennis I have to give tis one a go :D
    Thank you
    Mark

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I've tried the program and it works only partially. It did the tabs on two faces, on side on each of the two faces, wrong. You can see it in the attached SU file. It's not a big deal to change, though, it just means that you have to assemble it in SU before you generate the cutting code.

Unless I've assembled it all wrong, which can be the case too. :oops: Attached files Cube.skp (78.1 KB)Â

4. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I noticed the same thing. Seems to glaring of an error to be true. If I get time I'll do a SU build.

5. TigerPilot

I did the SU build, that's how I found out about it. ;) You can see it in the file that I've posted.

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I took out the hammer and made it fit! :p

Attached files Cube_fitted.skp (81.8 KB)Â

7. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Disable the auto tab width feature and specify your tab widths manually. It seems to work when you bypass the automatic calculation.

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I think the problem is just the way the program lays out the parts for you. If you try to fit it that way, it doesn't fit. The file that TigerPilot posted, I think I pulled off 3 parts and messed around with it for a bit and got them to fit. I also tried the pdf sample from the website and it's the same way. It doesn't fit the way it's layed out. But it does fit together perfectly, once you rearrange the parts. The sample is rectangular so might be easier to work with, the 1st time. Here is the sketchup file for the website sample, if anyone wants to try it:

-Kwok Attached files My Box sample.skp (32.6 KB)Â

9. rahulb

rahulb New Member

Hi - I wrote the BoxMaker app. As noted, you just have to ignore how they are laid out in the file (I'll try to fix that). There are only two shapes - the top/bottom shape, and the one-side shape. You just link all the one-side shapes to form the four sides, and then pop a top-bottom on each side. There's nothing wrong with the shapes my app outputs, it's just the orientation in the file. I'll see if I can fix that to be more intuitive for the next version. Thanks for the feedback!

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

rahub, welcome to the phlatforum. Thanks for making your software available to the masses! :D

-Kwok

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I second that. Thank you sir! and Welcome to the Phlatforum :)
    Mark

12. TigerPilot

Well, it looks like it was me after all. I tried an other shape and with that I saw what my mistake was. I had originally contacted Rahul and pointed him to here. He was gracious enough not to lose his patience with me and pointed out to me that it may be that one or more parts are not the right way when the pdf is generated. I had than tried it again and found that indeed the parts come out in he right shape but wrongly aligned. The lowest part in the pdg has to be flipped 180° and the two sides 90°. One CW and the other CCW.

All that is left to say is 'Thanks Rahul' for this app and welcome to this forum. We hope to see you soon again.