1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

WF-33 pusher, updated plans

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by janbjorn, Sep 28, 2010.

1. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Inspired by the LockOn simulator plane WF-33 I have designed a profile pusher with simple thrust vectoring.

I will use the Grayson SuperMega Jet V2 with a 6x5 prop

Control surfaces will be elevator on the canards and elevons (with aileron and taileron both connected to same servo). Future improvements might include Gyro control of the canards and/or aileron.

Edit: Removed sketchup file while fixing some small errors. Thanks to E-T for finding them!

Edit 2: I have updated the plans according to modifications done on the WF33 v1.
    • Moved the prop slot and motor 55mm forward
    • Improved design ov battery compartment
    • Added vertical fins on both top and bottom for improved yaw stabilityAdded tab for easier alignment of nose part to main wing partCanards are now stationary
    Recommended CG is at canard root trailing edge. Attached files WF33 v2.skp (1.6 MB)Â [​IMG]

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Looks GREAT!!! Wonder how effective the canards will be as they are rather small, and not too far from where the CG appears to be.... Would be interesting to have them on a mix that you can turn on and off. Speaking of which, how did you figure out the CG? Test glides of a smaller model?

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Cool look8ng ride! It would be really cool if the canards would swing out and forward via a servo once it is air-born, to expose more canard surface.

Nice design!

-Buk

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I like the looks of this one. Great work!

5. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I love this Plane :D I tried to cut it out tonight and had some Problems :cry:

I ustreamed cutting it out on my MkII. The First 13 min is nothing.
    If you jump to 20 mins in you can see me trying to put it together . http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9880996
    I fixed some of the things and attached the controll surface's E-T style :ugeek:
    Set it up for fff w/1/6 bit :mrgreen:
    I have not cut this out yet!

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] WF33FFF 1_16_ gcode.skp (360.6 KB)Â

6. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Thanks all for comments!

E-T: You are correct. I posted this in a hurry and forgot to mention the issues with the sketchup file. Thanks for fixing the plans. I'll fix the plans in my post asap.

rcav8r: I tested the CG with a small scale glider a while ago.
    I agree about the effectiveness of the canards. They might not do alot of useful work but functional canards are cooler than fixed ones, right ;) Attached files [​IMG]

7. rcav8r

Yes they will be cool for sure. With them being not very effective, you can give then a lot more than normal control throw for added effect :)

The CG is a little forward than I was thinking, but that's what the chuck gliders are for.

I may build one of these and if I do, I'll have the canard mix on a switch to see what effect they have.

8. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Well, I can say that the CG from the chuck glider was still too far back...
    I have just been to the field and maidened my WF33. I had to move CG almost to the middle of the canards in order to make it fly properly. Also the vertical area is to small. The rudders need to be bigger.

I'll post a video of the maiden later.

to be continued...

9. rcav8r

Middle of the Canards..? WOW that's WAY forward than I would have ever thought... Are you sure the canards were going the right way ;)

10. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

When YouTube is finished processing, this is the maiden flight:

11. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Forward swept wings are a challenge to get to fly right. I would almost bet even with bigger rudders you are gonna have problems. The one forward swept design I tried to get to fly had a wing snap problem no matter what I did.
    I hope you do get it to fly though.

12. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Bah, ha, haaah haahhh.... Thrust vectoring.... ain't got nothin on me!

Here is some real thrust vectoring, simple pusher... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attached files [​IMG]

13. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Even with bad CG my pusher flies better than yours flash ;)

14. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

heheheheh, yeah, but I cut out the parts in my video where it flips over bwaaa haaa haa ha.

But you just wait till I get my canard finished... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding you of course. Nice looking plane you got and should be a hoot to see fly once you get the bugs ironed out.

15. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Jan, why don't you try flying it with the canard fixed? Once you get it to fly well, add the canard and you'll see what effect it has.

Just my $0.02 :D

16. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Yoram, that's a really good idea. The yaw instability might be due to the canards blanking out the vertical fins.

I will use this plane as testing platform. Mabye move the canards way forward, or mabye remove them alltogether. Increasing vertical fin area, changing the angle of the vertical fins... I must get a battery powered hot glue gun for quick fixes at the field...

17. TigerPilot

It will be a shame to lose the canard altogether. It adds to the looks a lot.

18. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Made another flight with the WF33 yesterday. This time I had glued the canards in their original position. Also moved the motor mount forward about 2 inches. Mounted the battery as far forward as I dared. With these changes it balanced out on the trailing edge of the canard (where it meet's the fuselage)

With renewed courage I launched as usual and it flew away just great! However, after a few careful laps around the field I tried some rolls/loops and found that it had a peculiar behaviour. It almost started flat-spinning at low airspeeds/hihg alpha. Luckily I was high above the ground and a decent push on the throttle made it calm down. I landed and taped a couple of extra fins on the plane.

This time it flew like on rails. Nothing I did would upset the plane any longer. High alpha (about 30-40 degrees) at waking pace worked just fine. Roll's, tight loops were no problem any more.

Unfortunately I decided to show off a little bit and make a low fast pass. I guess you all know what happened next... :oops:

Yes, you are right, I hit the ground at WOT and the WF33 became a cloud of small depron pieces. It seemed like the motor continued running a while after impact and chopped the plane up. The prop broke, but everything else apart from the foam was intact. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Well at least you got her to fly before the crash.
    Any plans on redesigning with this new found knowledge to maybe add the vertical pieces?
    Great job Jan
    Thank you for this update so we can all learn from your trials and hopefully create a version that will fly great! :)
    Mark and Trish

20. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

There will be updates with modified plans. There will be a new motor location improved battery bay. I also think I can raise the vertical stabilizers a few degrees without ruining the scale looks. That will probably help a bit. If that's not enough another fin will be included.

21. TigerPilot

Jan, when I saw the pictures this morning I was going to tell you that I think it flew better because the fin that you've added on top kind of straitened the airflow over the elevator. Now I read that you want to change the degrees of the fins. I could be wrong but I think that that is not the solution. Try the fins as they are once you've changed the motor location.That may have a greater effect than changing the fin's degrees.

Just my opinion and worth only what you've paid for! :D

22. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I have to agree with Yoram on this. If its flying now like its on rails with the new fins added I would not change the others. Maybe you could make these extra fins easily removable so that you could try it with perhaps just one and the new motor location. See what happens with the new motor location and that may be a solution to permanently removing one of the fins or both. This way you will not lose the cool look of the aircraft.
    Just a thought :)
    Mark and Trish

23. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

I have updated the plans in the first post with some modifications based on the flight experience from version 1 of the WF33

Updated items are:
    • Moved the prop slot and motor 55mm forward
    • Improved design ov battery compartmentAdded vertical fins on both top and bottom for improved yaw stabilityAdded tab for easier alignment of nose part to main wing part
    Recommended CG is at canard root trailing edge.