1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

What kind of glue??

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Hankado, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Hankado

Hankado New Member

I just wanted to find out what other people are using for glue. I've tried about 8 different types of adhesives. Most of what I have tried so far just eats right through the foam.

I've even used the 3m 77 spray and after a few it seems to just come a part.

Thanks,
    Hank

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Foam safe CA or Hot glue is what I use
    Mark

3. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

And you can just download the 40-50% off coupons, for Micheals. ;)

Any type of white glue should work, too. That's the type sold for balsa in the olden days. Probably just the elmers would work. I haven't been building much lately, but what I was using, and liked, was "Mod Podge" from Micheals. It's like a thick white glue, but meant for covering decorative items, almost like paper mache. Because of that, it's cheap and you get alot of it. I have that Aleene's glue gun now, and will be try in the future. Attached files [​IMG]

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Yardbird RC sells the Ultimate Foam glue that I really like to use. http://tinyurl.com/ykob4dj
    Use a tiny amount - just a smear along the surfaces. Stick them together, pull them apart, together again, apart again, then together for the last time - it will act like superglue that last time. Too much is too much, it will never dry hard. The trick is to use little enough.
    btw, this stuff: http://tinyurl.com/ygv69aj looks the same, smells the same, glues the same and costs a LOT less. ;)

6. travisc

travisc Member

I use Beacons 3-in-1 advanced craft glue from Hobby Lobby craft store.
    $3.99 for a 4 oz bottle
    It is similar to the Yardbird RC glue.
    It WILL melt the foam if you use a big glob. but it is an istant hold. just go light on it.

Aleene's tacky glue works good too but it takes a little wile longer to set up
    but dries clear and will not melt the foam.

7. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I have several glues which I use.

5 Minute Epoxy
    3M 77
    Aileens Tacky Glue
    Gorilla Glue 2X Fast Dry
    Hot Glue

I use the Hot Glue for quick fixes, Epoxy where strength is warranted, Aileens Tacky glue to seal edges.

But the glue that is becoming my favorite is the Gorilla 2X Fast Dry glue. You have to use blue painters masking tape to keep it from oozing out and making a mess, but when contained that way, it forms a very strong bond and works up into all of the crevices.

The downside is that you have to wait at least an hour for it to set, 24 hours to be fully cured.