1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

What the heck is this???

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Anonymous, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Very cool. Looks pretty stable and crazy at the same time. Interesting machine.

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

The things people come up with.
    That's different for sure. I'd like to see some more info on it.

4. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I've seen them before. Old glow powered free flighters. Can't remember what they are called though. That's the first electric one with throttle I've seen.

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

These are called, McCutchen machines. Guess named after the guy who did alot of work with them in the 50's, Doctor Charles W. McCutchen. Here is some info on it: http://geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Gala ... e_Idea.htm Kind of proves the adage, that nothing is ever new and things get reinvented all the time. Who knows, maybe someone was working on them before him, possibly even in another country. I remember seeing some models of these in the FF forum at rcgroups. Here is one thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99074 In it, is a pretty cool video of some fellow rc hobbiest experiment with the concept. The video was made in the early 90's:

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Wow! Someone posted this page at rcgroups. There are two youtube videos there. As a student I used to work at one of the labs mentioned, University of Maryland Rotorcraft Center. Mostly built some composite heli rotor blades and helped with testing them. That's the most impressive example I've seen to date, of a McCutchen machine. Would be real curious of the controls.
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/blog/robotics/ ... maple-leaf

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Cool videos Kwok they are really doing some cool research at the University of Maryland Rotorcraft Center!
    Mark

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Another interesting one, rocket powered :D

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

This one is amazing too. I am sure you will agree.

10. kram242

That was great! As for directional flight is it possible because of a electronic compass? It must have some point of reference.
    Mark

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Yes, you are right. I've been collection info on them. Since they are school projects, there are usually papers written. The MIT paper is here: http://rimworld.com/pgh/documents/hoburgmcreport.pdf They say "It is anticipated that the best azimuth estimate will be obtained using integrated accelerometer data with a magnetometer removing integration drift, but configurations using only accelerometers or only magnetometers will also be explored." The interesting thing that I didn't know about is the method of using an accelerometer to sense the angle of rotor tilt. I still have to think about that one.

There is actually a thread on rcgroups that use a magnetic compass using a coil as a detector. He hacked a toy called an itop, and found it just used a coil for the magnetic compass sensor. I have one. It's a toy top with a column of 8 leds and it can write out words using the magnetic compass for position info. Here is the thread from rcgroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394375 He's got a led that blinks once per revolution and that represents the tail, I think. And that's how you get your orientation. So basically, when you hit your yaw (rudder) nothing really happens, except that light move to another position on the circumference. Not sure what method they are using for visual ref with the MIT or UMD monocopters. I can't really see anything.

Here is a video of the itop, where it is counting up the # of rotations and I think that other number is the saved high score. It displays different things for different games you can play with it. Like I think rpm for one game. Another is where it writes out the 4 compass directions.

12. kram242

Wow nice explanation Kwok! Thank you
    So from what I gather to move in one direction, lets say to the left. That means the rudder will (for a split sec) on every rotational point say to where the LEDs would light for the Itop would tilt a little and then quickly tilt back to a zero state while the rotation is made?
    Not sure if I am explaining that correctly, but that is the way I see it working.
    Am I even close?
    Mark

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Yes, that's right. It's exactly the same as the cyclic control on a helicopter. Except a heli times it mechanically, basically like a cam. Strangely enough, the cyclic input needs to be applied 90 degrees before where you want it to take effect.

-Kwok

14. kram242

That is strange! I wonder is it always 90 degrees or does that angle decrease or increase proportionally along with the rotational speeds?
    Mark

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Yes, it's always 90 degrees. It's called "Gyroscopic Precession". I've never really understood it. Maybe someday. :) Have is a demo of it:

16. kram242

It never ceases to amaze me why we have not used this angular momentum force to create some form of lift in some way. I wonder what happens if you where to weigh each side of the wheel and then cut the string when it spinning? Would the weight remain the same or would you find that the 90 degree deflection of gravity actually takes some of the weight off of the side of the wheel that the string has been cut from? It would seem that it would take(some) the weight away.
    Kwok I have to tell you I love this stuff :) Thank you for sharing
    Mark

17. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

You love this stuff, ha. If you want to study it, its called "engineering mechanics", specifically starting with "Statics" and then "Dynamics" where things are moving. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_mechanics I don't know. I am still waiting to find out if it's useful or not? :?

I think it's the twisting force that is deflected. If you cut both strings, there is no twist. And nothing would happen. We call the twist a torque or a moment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque It is probably easier to see, in the classic demo with someone holding a gyroscope and on some bearing so he is free to rotate. See 1st video, where he is twisting the bicycle wheel side to side. Moving it around doesn't do anything. You have to twist it. That's an interesting idea of using angular momentum to create some form of lift in some way. Try the second video. That seems to some a possible use of that. The weight hasn't been reduced, but the torque is not working against you now making the weight lever out of your hand.

18. kram242

I think that it is interesting either way and fun to explore. If we get to a point where we can cast metal parts from foam. We could build some devices to test against our theories :)
    The second video is what I was wondering about. The problem is the twisting force that is deflected is the opposite reaction to the momentum creating torque. If there were some way to cancel that out like counter rotating blades, it may lead to an interesting effect. Or it may do nothing at all. I wonder if you had a dual gyroscope type device, where the wheels would counter spin at the same speeds in opposite directions, you may be able to over come this side effect of torque. I would think that it would be very hard to achieve any type of useful force for lift because of this opposite reaction. Maybe a ring with gyroscopes surrounding the outside that can be controlled to tilt at 90 degrees?
    Thanks Kwok I think we are both mechanical engineers at heart :mrgreen:
    Mark

19. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, now I know what you are getting at. I actually messed around with this stuff as a teenager and forgot all about it. Cranked up the old scanner, but the light is crapped out; so here are some fuzzy hand held shots.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. kram242

:lol: That's too much! I cracked up when I saw that one! :D But yes that is exactly what I was thinking.. I wonder if this has been tried before in real world test? I am sure it has some where.
    The first one looks do able enough with a couple gyros and a few spare parts.
    Great info Kwok! if you see anything on that ring gyro let me know I would like to see what type of reaction it would have if you could tilt them while in motion. I suspect that you could get the disk to roll around like if you were to drop a coin and it sorta spins to a stop.
    Mark

21. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Here's another strange flyer, that I've never seen before.

22. kram242

WOW that is COOOOLL!!! that opens the door to so many ideas! :D
    Thanks Kwok
    Mark

23. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That is a crazy looking machine. I love how it did a roll and stopped suddenly in that 2nd video.

24. kram242

LOL that was my favorite part too Shaun! :) Its amazing that it can keep up so fast firing the rockets that you see no movement at all in any other direction.
    If this was something they were thinking of using in space, they would not need the larger rocket on the bottom and the fuel would last a whole lot longer with the little burst they are using.
    Too cool!
    Mark

25. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

The monocopter was inspired by spinning maple seeds. Check this out, the seeds from the Alsomitra Vine. Wonder if they inspired anyone? The video saids they come out of a football sized pod, so they are decent size:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 391345.stm

-Kwok