1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

What to do when there is too much wind to fly planes.

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by 3DMON, Oct 21, 2009.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I just thought I'd share a little of what I do when the wind is blowing. This is called kiteboarding some say kitesurfing. People do this on snow and land as well. Basically I have a board on my feet and fly a really big kite that helps me do some really fun stuff.
    I've been at this now for about 3yrs and love every chance I can get out on the water. We just had our first cold front come though over the weekend (went from 90 to 60 in one day) which finally brought some wind with it...yay for me lol. The wind this day was 18-20 mph and temps were around 70deg's.

Mercury.zip

10InchProp Sumo.zip Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Shaun! your a mad man!! :) That looks super fun.. It's almost like you are flying! :D
    Mark

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

That's WAAAAY TOOO much excitement for this ole body...

This is more my speed.... That cold front made for an interesting day of sailing these little guys... Attached files [​IMG]

4. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Yee-haw, that looks like fun. Way out of my world thou. When it gets windy I add ballast. If the flight box gets blown down the runway, then I pack up and fly a heli indoors. 4#3B/BL

5. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Man that looks fun! Unfotyunitly I'm in the same boat as Flash (pun intended) my old bones can't handle it anymore!

Those are some great pics too Shaun, props to your camera opeator.

6. 3DMON

Yeah I still got a little mad man in me Mark lol.

Amazingly enough I know 2 men who come out ever so often who are in their 70's doing this sport in my area. The one named Walt even made it in an aarp magazine. We were fortunate to get those pics. There was a guy who stopped to watch and had a nice camera taking pictures so I asked if he would email them to me. It's hard for us to get good pictures because we all want to out on the water instead of being behind the camera lol.

Cool sailboat Flash.

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hey 3DMON, can you guy go against the wind? I am thinking not, but then how do you guys get back home? :)

8. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

The village where I live is known as a Meca for surfing. People come from all over the world to surf here. It's a bay where we are. It started many years ago with windsurfing but changed over the last few years to almost exclusive kitesurfing. It is year round, here and the water temps are always in the hight 70's and higher. Even in February.

Every day, at about 2pm the wind blows across the bay. If you sit on the beach you don't feel it but if you go a few yards into the water it gets stronger. Since it is across the bay, you can surf out and into the shore.

9. 3DMON

Sure can. Just like a sail boat tacking upwind.

Hey Yoram are you in Cabarete? I know that's one of the biggest places to kite in DR.

10. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Indeed I am, Shaun. Indeed I am. i see you've heard about our little hole in the wall. :) :)

11. HSV_Freak

HSV_Freak Member

12. iflyos

iflyos Member

And to think..I just drag out my 2 line stunt kites and fly them....I have thought about a Quad line power kite, but we don't get enough wind here to get any air with them...I likely would only get to enjoy a big sail during beach trips.

However, my Prism Nexus stays in the truck with me, and gets used quite often....the wind range for it is 4-22 mph, but in 4mph winds, you don't get much out of it. It is allot more fun
    in 10mph and up!

Tim
    AG4RZ