1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Where can a guy get a good coffee machine in this town?

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by dhc8guru, Oct 19, 2011.

1. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for but, I don't believe that just because it has a high price tag it's a better product. I have thrown in the towel and have to say everything manufactured today for the general consumer is crap! What has led to this? Well, for the past two years I have been throwing out coffee makers. Three to be exact. A KitchenAid, which was my wife's when we first met, that died two years ago at the ripe age of two. Replaced with a Hamilton Beech that was falling apart the minute that it was pulled from the package. This was such a miserable machine, it amazed me that the designers accepted it was worth selling. I won't get it the details but it was so bad that it was thrown away as a still functioning unit. Next up was a Zojirushi. Not familiar? They are a the inventors of the vacuum bottle. We have one of there hot water dispensers. Which we absolutely love.
    Great, coffee maker, it was whisper quiet, so quiet in fact that when it failed after nine months of service, I didn't even notice till I went to pour an empty cup of coffee.
    Now, we're back to a KitchenAid. Last night I managed to break the handle pulling it out of the package. Some goofy packaging and a set of butter fingers caused it. My wife said "looks like were off to a good start with this one" I replied " Who cares, it won't last long anyways"
    Of course I have an edge of extra bitterness thrown in, courtesy of the recent demise of my two year old Samsung 46" HDTV. Fortunately, my wife talked me into the service contract that replaced the unrepairable TV.
    I am starting my conspiracy theory that "THEY" don't want me to be caffeinated and watching TV :twitch:
    My Dad say's his coffee maker is twelve years old and still works fine... Yes, it still works fine because it was made twelve years ago before the manufactures figured out that you don't make money selling something that lasts.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I bet you also yell at the neighbor kids to keep off your lawn :D
    I hear ya man. Been saying it for a while now. Have you looked for a mattress lately? They sold my wife on the old you don't need to flip a mattress anymore so they are all single sided. What a bunch of crap. But it has a 5 year warranty she tells me. Well within a year it sagged BIG time apparently not enough to warrant a replacement under the warranty... When it finally sagged enough (after about 2 years) they said they would pro-rate a new one... Yea the fine print in the warranty is for pro rated ones after 2 years. Go figure...

You didn't happen to get these at Wallyworld did ya? Not that I am a conspiracy nut, but I am convinced with years of evidence their name brand stuff is inferior to the same exact (well close ) model in other stores. The latest experience with this was with a Hoover vacuum. After it died in about 3 months I asked the wife, you got this at Wallyworld, didn't you. She said ya, but it was $5 cheaper than Lowes for the same one. The one we had the bearings for the beater bar were plastic, well they weren't even a full bearing, just some plastic in the shape of a cross. They were shot. Also the rear wheels were REALLY loose... yep plastic axles. Also the place on the beater bar where the belt rides already had a grove worn in it. I took the EXACT model number off of our shot vacuum cleaner and went to Lowes They had one that was almost exact. I think it was missing a -z or something at the end, but it looked identical....until I started to take it apart. Real metal bushings, and the shaft was solid, not a cheap plastic cross. The rear axle was a real metal axle that went the entire width of the base. And the area on the beater bar where the belt rides was a much harder surface. That was 3 or 4 years ago, and as far as I know the vacuum is working just fine. My wife gave it to a friend a few months ago as she saw a newer and improved model she just had to have. :roll:

This is just one of MANY examples. I think I finally convinced the boss to not shop there anymore.... And I have to say our appliances and stuff like that are holding up just fine.

Well the neighbor kid's ball just came into my yard... I have to go get it before he does :tease:

3. rcav8r

4. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I am still too young to yell at the kids to stay off my lawn :D

Bringing your theory home on same brands sold at different stores with varying quality.
    It is a known fact that John Deer lawn equipment sold at Lowes is not the same as the equipment sold in John Deer dealers. The prices are the tip off to something being a little funny. They look the same but the components used are completely different. I learned this first hand. I had a tractor bought from a direct dealer. During a conversation with the parts guy, he told me he didn't have parts for the lawn equipment sold outside of the dealerships and all those had to be bought online. This was several years ago so maybe things have changed.
    A friend of mine owns a landscape company and he told me the same thing. He learned this from having to get a Lawn boy mower in a pinch from Home Depot or Lowes. He said it lasted only a few months even though it was the same model as the one it replaced that had been running for years. When he took it to his repair guy for service, the repair man knew right away it wasn't a dealer sold product.

What it boils down too is these company's are ruining there reputation.

By the way I am proud to say, my lawn mowers are a Solaris cordless electric and a Toro passed on to me from my dad neither of which were bought from major chain store.

5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

6. Mark44

Mark44 Member

Knowing my wife likes a good cup of espresso, I bought her an Italian espresso maker, the kind that grinds the bean and has so many bells and whistles that it could be mistaken for a planes cockpit. It needs to go in for repairs, again, and soon the repair costs will exceed the original price.

Last year we replaced the old dishwasher (from the 70's), on the second use it started smoking, some electronic component burned out.

So much of what we buy today, is designed to fail by business, using 'planned obsolescence'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

What bugs me the most is that things are built so cheap that it's cheaper to buy new than to repair, so stuff gets thrown out too much.

7. phoenix

phoenix New Member

this is how big business makes their big bucks, inferior quality at tremendous mark ups. We pay 10-100 times what it cost to make the product only to have it break down and have to buy a replacement, if they made stuff that lasts they wouldn't show annual quarterly proffits and therefor the CEOs couldn't warrent their rediculous salaries

8. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Interesting comparison. My house was built in 1985. It has the original A/C, furnace, stove oven and built in microwave. We replaced the original dishwasher last year as it was not quite cleaning that well.
    The A/C is really impressive as it runs 9 months out of the year here in south Texas.
    Walmart is the last place I buy anything. I leave that place for the suckers.

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I try to buy buy commercial grade products when ever possible. If I need a nail gun for fixing my roof, I grab the phone book and call a few roofing companies to see what they are using. I figure they have already done the leg work and product testing, they know what works and what doesn't. they use them every day so they will settle on the best working units. If you need a good coffee maker check out what some of the convenience stores are using. Around here its mostly the buun brand. Need a good lawnmower, check out what the local lawn-care guys are using, etc.. You will find that most commercial brands come down to the best two available on the market and beyond that point is just a matter of bells and whistles for the choice. Using this technique has helped me out a lot.
    A couple drawbacks of buying commercial grade products is (usually)price and size. But if you can swing it and your purchasers creed is; function before fashion then this just may work for you to.
    Mark and Trish

10. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

I stand corrected, I bought a cuisinart... a food processor company making coffee makers. It won't last long. It works well...for awhile.

I saw the MoccaMaster in Williams Sonoma today. My luck, I would drop the 300 bones on it and it would burn my house down. It looks capable. It probably uses high discharge Lipo batteries with sketchy wiring to back up the clock. Either that or depleted Uranium stored in a leaky lead jacket. LOL!
    How about that Gadhafi guy?..I'll bet getting a good coffee maker was the least of his worries.
    Beaten by an angry mob can't feel good.

11. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

12. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Maybe it's a sign not to drink coffee. LOL. :tease: :D :tease:

13. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

That's pretty much the one I bought. Only difference is I got the thermal carafe and some of the buttons are different.

14. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Same on my parents use :)
    I stopped making it at home and now I like to use the mornings to go to the local WaWa and grab a cup. The best coffee around :doubleup:
    http://www.wawa.com/wawaweb/coffee.aspx
    Mark and Trish

15. rcav8r

I must confess I am not a coffee connoisseur by any means. I use a $15 Black and Decker single cup coffee maker.. It's been chugging away for about the last 8 years. Prior to that we didn't own a coffee maker.

Now the $64,000 question... how to de-scale the coffee maker?

16. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

Run a pint or so of white vinegar through it, and then 2-3 runs of fresh water. If it is really scaled badly, run a second pint of vinegar and then the water. This will smell like pickles, but it will de-scale it.

17. rcav8r

COOL Thanks Neil... I guess I could have googled it, but I wanted to hear from someone I trust ;-)

18. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member