1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Who has ordered an MKII?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Phlatprinter MKII Talk' started by iflyos, May 5, 2009.

1. iflyos

iflyos Member

I just did, sent Mark payment a few minutes ago!!! Man I am EXCITED!!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

So what's the secret? A month's worth of begging? :lol: I don't know if you remember, but I talked to you on the Toledo live feed. And back then you were looking for a used MK1.

I won a MK2 bonez kit for the mouse trap contest, so I am in. But I am in a strange boat, as I still don't know how much more it is going to cost me.

I forget how many MK2's are sold, either 7 or 9, I thinks. I know of 3 regulars that have bought kits; Blindflight, Crash and Evil Tunes.

So is it a coincidence the crashcast podcast just came out yesterday and you buy today?

-Kwok

3. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Bought (pre ordered) mine at the Toledo show and am really excited to build it, I have several designs I cant wait to cutl!!
    John

4. iflyos

iflyos Member

Kwok, I remember talking to you.

The secret is pretty simple..A buddy and I are going in together on it, and some things fell into place. The Good Lord was looking after the both of us, and it all worked out.

Congrats on winning the contest! I thought that was pretty cool of Mark to do.

Man...now I gotta clean up the shop, and rearrange so I can have enough room for the PP and the pen plotter I bought. I am hoping to turn the plotter into a vinyl cutter..

Tim
    AG4RZ

5. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I also have one on order. The electronics package is here. The little computer (used from amazon ) just arrived. The little flat monitor will be next. Then the real wait begins. My shop/garage is slowly but surely getting cleaner ( anybody want a decent scroll saw ? ) . I'm not sleeeping well, I have no appetite, I lay awake thinking about new foamies and cutting ribs for my next profile. I should probably go see a therapist before I get laid off and lose my insurance. oops typing out loud again, lol

Jeff

6. iflyos

iflyos Member

Jeff..Did Mark email the discount code for the electronics package, or did you just order the electronics and they adjusted the price accordingly?

Also, does the password for the build log still get shipped with the kit, or does Mark Email it now?

I cannot wait until they MKII starts shipping!!!!

I gotta get busy cleaning the shop!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

7. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I e-mailed a copy of the PayPal confirmation. About 10 mins later Mark sent the code. Easy-cnc honored the PayPal confirmation. Shipped right away express air. Good service.

I don't know about the build log password. I've been watching all the tutorials, and reading practically everything on this site.

I am cleaning shop now, got all this crap that I can't stand to get rid of, but I'm sure I'll never miss any of it. I could get an elevator out of that scrap of foam, or that sure is a nice piece of 1/4 sq balsa too bad it's only 11ins long.

Won't be long now, another week or so, hope I don't have an anxiety attack, I've never been so excited about a new toy!!

Jeff

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

If you guy haven't already, you should check out the latest crash cast where it's all about the MK2 (the whole hour is an interview with Mark and Trish):
    http://www.thecrashcast.com/
    Or the video version from the phlatlab end of things:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1461503

They are possibly doing a live MK2 build this weekend, so stay tuned.

iflyos, I would be curious about your vinyl cutter project. I used to make paper models and it was a real pain to do the cutting and creasing. I hope to some day mod the MK2 to cut with a blade, plot graphic and maybe eventually print.

-Kwok

9. iflyos

iflyos Member

Kwok, the plotter I picked up is an older HP Draftmaster pen plotter. I got it for $40.00 a couple weeks ago on Craigslist. Originally, I was gonna gut it for parts to use in a cnc foam cutter similar to the PP, but now I think it will serve me better as a vinyl cutter and of course, as a plotter..

I have been told a Mimaki blade holder is so close in size and shape to a HP pen, that you can load it in the carousel, set the pen pressure to max, and you are cutting vinyl. I have plotted a test page with it to be sure it works, so the next step will be to locate the blade holder and blades, and look at the surface that will be under the blade during cuts, and figure out what I can do there to support the vinyl.

When I get to that step, I will start a thread in the appropriate forum here, and link you to it!

Tim
    AG4RZ

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

:p Oooo! A vinyl cutter! Ooooo! :p
    Please be sure to post info on your progress with that project, too! :cool:

11. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Oh yes, please keep us informed on this aspect. I would love to be able to cut Oracal Vinyl with the Phlatprinter!

I have a friend how is making a pen tool for me that will fit in the Dremel. Maybe we can come up with a tip to fit it that will cut vinyl..

12. iflyos

iflyos Member

Flash, I will...but you do understand I am converting an old pen plotter to cut vinyl, and not the PP, right?

Also, I will want to pick your brain at some point about cutting paint masks with the PP. I am not that handy with an airbrush, so masks are essential!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

13. Flashsolutions

Yep, I understand. But what caught my attention was the cutter bit you spoke about. I have seen one for sale but it had a 1/4" shank which is too big for the Dremel. My bud is making a 1/8" shaft pen holder for holding a sharpee marker pen tip. Not sure yet how that is going to work as I have not seen it yet.

If my adaptor can be adapted to yet another tool, a cutting bit for vinyl, then I could possibly cut vinyl on the Phlatprinter.

An old pen plotter may have parts that I can use. I had not thought about that until I read your post.

Cutting paint masks has not been extremely successful. I have some .015 plastic but the bit overheats and melts the plastic. Manilla folders work pretty well but you get fuzz on the bottom side when you cut it. Maybe if you sandwich the manilla folder between two sheets of foam..... Never tried that but now that I am thinking about it, it just might work.

14. iflyos

iflyos Member

Ok..I follow you know..I just didn't want to confuse anyone...especially not myself, LOL!

Dude, you are set to cut vinyl!!! It just hit me..all you need is a swivel knife...gimme a minute and I will get you a link to one you can buy at Micheal's crafts!! I saw it there this weekend, while with the wife, getting her some scrapbooking stuff for Mother's Day

Tim
    AG4RZ

15. iflyos

iflyos Member

Ok...here you go..first, the blades:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PRO ... /SGR2-2606

Now the handle that the blades are meant to be used in:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PRO ... ives/BDM84

I am sure the blades could be chucked in the Dremel no problem...the handle, I don't remember the diameter, but Micheal's, A.C. Moore, and Hobby Lobby (the chick version) should all carry the knif and the blades if you wanna see them first hand. I know for a fact the Micheals here in town has them. I have never looked for them anywhere else, but it seems like a common item from what the wife said about scrapbooking.

Hmm..I need to find someone with a machine shop who can turn me a body that is the size of the HP pens for my plotter..then I gound get it center drilled for the swivel knife, load than into the plotter, and try it out...the blades are alot cheaper than regular vinyl cutter blades, thats for sure...

Tim
    AG4RZ

16. Flashsolutions

Ahhh cool!!! Yep, that's the ticket.

My friend has a machine shop and may be able to mill something for you. Get me some specs and I'll shoot it over to him.

17. iflyos

iflyos Member

Flash, you have mail..let me know if it is usable!!

Thanks, man!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

18. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Tim, I think that Mark and Trish send the password for the build area of the site with the order (if memory serves). If not, then they'll send you an email with the password. These people are the greatest when it comes to customer service, so have no worries.

If you're looking for it earlier than shipment, you're prolly out of luck. I would feel certain that no data for the build of the new machine is available yet. :D If they get to do the live build this weekend, they will probably take that time to shoot the instructional vids then.

I have no reason to believe that the build of the MKII will be any more difficult than the MKI was; there will be more steps and parts, though. :) I'm certain you'll have no problem with the build. I'm just saying this to put your mind at ease in case you're wanting to bone up on it before getting your kit.

I hafta say, I'm in the same boat as you are - I'm "chompin' at the bit" over here waiting to get my goodies so I can get the build underway! Patience certainly does not come natural for me! LOL I've been using all kinds of techniques to distract me from thinking about it!!

BTW, Mark shared with me some additional things on the MKII - I can't think of ANYTHING that the 'modders' are gonna be able to come up with to make this machine better than the production model already will be!

The MKI was an incredible adventure and I learned so much about CNC. I'm totally ready for the MKII adventure to begin!!!

signed,
    Michael "been-squirming-since-Toledo" Hancock
    :lol:

19. iflyos

iflyos Member

Crash,,I am chompin' at the bit..and I did want to look over the MKI build just in case. I figure it cant be any more difficult than building a Balsa USA kit, er, make that a Balsa USA shipment of Balsa sticks and blocks that you hand carve into a kit...

I have no hands on experience with CNC machines, but I have had the opportunity to see several run first hand, so I kinda know the capabilities..I just cannot wait to get one of my very own!!

After the MKII is up and running, I plan to build a small phlatbed table to do circuit boards with..I already have a controller and several NEMA-17 motors here..I bought the controller a while back, and salvaged the steppers from old printers that were being dumped at work...

Tim
    AG4RZ

20. Crash

Hey, let me know how that flatbed works out. I'm wanting to build something like that soon.

Trust me, though - when you get your access to the build vids and you get yours built, you will know more about CNC than you ever thought was possible. That's a very cool bonus with building one of the PhlatPrinters. All the junk you need to know gets taught to you in easy to understand terms. The MKI demystified the whole CNC world to me.

All 10 of us that are awaiting MKII's should exchange numbers so we can start a support group, huh? :eek:

21. iflyos

iflyos Member

Hi..I am Tim, and I have a problem waiting for my MKII.

At least a few of you guys have a PP to play with in the meantime...

I will let you know how the Phlatbed works out. I have ideas based on what I have seen online, but I wanna wait til I have the PP under my belt before I start..

Tim
    AG4RZ

22. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

You MKII guys must be just wimps! All of us MKI people survived the wait, and we didn't need no stinking support group! :evil:
    We just joined the PhlatForum - then we wimpered, whined, cried and threatened temper tantrums in public, :oops: and when we finally got our MKI's, we stumbled around a bit, then we modified, augmented and redesigned the heck out of them! :geek:

Welcome to the fold, Little ones. [​IMG] :lol:

23. iflyos

iflyos Member

LMAO, Dorsal...to funny!

TIm
    AG4RZ

24. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I'm all for the support group. Public humiliation is way too scary for me. :lol:

Jeff

25. Crash

You know, Dorsal is right! LOL The wait for the MKI was really much longer than the wait for the MKII. Last Summer, when the MKI was announced over at RCG, was the LONGEST Summer ever!

Mi, my name is Michael (hi michael), and I'm occupying my time with counting all of the little acoustic bumps on my ceiling...CRAP - I lost my place while typing this! :shock: