1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Will this script work for other CNCs?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by bkboggy, Feb 1, 2009.

1. bkboggy

bkboggy New Member

Phlat Printer is essentially a CNC machine. I am building a 3 Axis CNC machine for my other hobby/small business and I was wondering if this script will work for it?

-BK

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Yes but it outputs the Z axis in negative numbers instead of positive (Because the dremel is coming up from the bottom). So you'd have to edit the gcode or find in the phlatscript where to change it. It might as simple as changing the Z direction on your machine too.

Shaun

3. meistertek

meistertek Member

BK, 3DMON is right. You could change the way your machine handles the code, especially if you are using Mach3 or EMC2 to control your machine. Or you could use a text editor to search and replace the Z cuts depths and change them to positive or negative and or different values if needed.

I like editing and cleaning up my code with NCPlot v1.2, it's free and does a nice job of displaying graphically the results of changing code. There was a little discussion of cleaning up PhlatCode with editors in this thread if you are interested: http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=300

4. bkboggy

bkboggy New Member

Thanks guys.

5. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Works fine if you know what's happening and how to set it up. I use it on a 3 axis all the time for my small ply parts. Great for simple stuff but can be multi passed the long way if need be.

6. bkboggy

bkboggy New Member

I'm trying to find a standalone program or an attachment to Sketchup (or any other 3D program?) to cut stuff with the 3-Axis CNC that I'm building. I'm hoping to find something that works 3D.... Cut two sides of the fuselage out, glue them together, done.

7. meistertek

meistertek Member

bkboggy,
    The PhlatScripT plugin for SketchUp will work for what you want to do and will output code that will need only minor editing or slight modification of your Mach3 control setup. Actually the PhlatPrinter is capable of cutting the 3D fuselage halves also since it is a full 3 axis CNC machine.

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

bkboggy,

meistertek is right about that. Mainly its a matter of using an text editor to flip flop the X axis negative values to normal and the normal values to negative. This may be something we could include in the next version of the PhlatscripT as people with gantry style machines join the forum.

As for a 3D CAM the Phlatprinter as meistertek stated the Phlatprinter is completely capable of doing 3D, however the PhlatscripT we use has not reached that stage (yet)
    We are working on making this happen. In the mean time there are a couple 3D CAMs I really like the feel of, go download the demos and give them a try.

Cut3D
    - $299 < nice
    http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... _index.htm

Artcam
    - $950 < pricey
    http://www.artcamexpress.com/

9. bkboggy

bkboggy New Member

Thanks for the info fellas. I definitely like this forum and, eventhough, I'm not using the phlatprinter (I wish I did... honestly, it would be so much cheaper, but I already bought the parts for my CNC before I found this) I still like the fact that this community if focused on production of parts by a machine.

A few people told me that it's cheating. To that I say this: I have to build the machine, I have to design the planes and I have to put it all together... I see no cheating in that. Cheating would be me going to the store and buying an RTF.

-BK

10. 66tbird

I've given Artcam a try and it is very powerful but a little steep on the learning curve, and price. But wow! what it can do with a million dollar machine.

On my 3 axis what I tried and it worked was to use the plugin 'slicer' (think that's the name) and cut the design top to bottom in steps no bigger than your depth. Then properly index and gcode each layer as a separate drawing (each having the same 0,0 point). Then I just worked my way down always re-home-ing the machine after the cut and after resetting and home-ing the new Z axis depth each time also. It worked ok.

Next I'll try a different approach and slice the piece, flatten it to make rings and centerline each at a different depth.

RTF=cheating? In my view it does. Only because I've seen the hobby change from modelers that had a well rounded skill base in planning, building, flying, repairing and safety to a modeling base of buy and fly, whatever happens, happens. I met one nice kid in his 20's that was a great pilot in pattern, yet had no idea what a covering iron is.

11. kram242

66tbird,
    So true :)

I did a topical graphical map of mount St. Helen's in four 1/2" layers using the same slicer you described
    It turned out pretty cool but took forever.
    Here's a few pics. The layers didn't matchup the best but I was still learning about how to use it back then :D

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. 66tbird

Neat topo and so close to nailing it. I would imagine that took forever.

13. kram242

Thanks it did take forever I think I let it run over night for each panel :)
    You can see where the glue I used melted into the foam.
    Mark

14. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

I have to disagree here. The normal +Z direction on a mill is away from the bed (right hand rule). ergo, the phlatprinter is not inverted in Z, it is just physically upside down, and negative Z feeds into the work as normal.
    [​IMG]
    image is from the TurboCNC documentation.

15. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

You are right, swarfer, I don't know why they said that you have to change setting from negative. Negative is the other side of the positive and where the zero point is is up to you. I have my zero point set to 0.5" from the surface of the work. Going away from it is positive, going to it is negative. If the machine is upside down or right side up, that setting doesn't change.

16. cemal

cemal New Member

I have been using your amazing script for my cnc machine with no worries.
    It is a fantastic platform and very easy to use.

It would be nice to be able to change the preset values in the parameters box as i am not using the standard thickness foam. other than that it works fine and i for one am very pleased with my results.

can you give me more information about the "slicer" is it a sketchup plugin or is it part of artcam?

Thanks

17. 3DMON

cemal,
    You can change the preset values of the parameter box by modifying the constants.rb file. Just open the file with a notepad editor and change the values to what you want them to be.

18. iGull

iGull Member

Hi All

Just my :02cents: worth, I've been using the phlatscript for a while now on my Step-Four CNC using the DeskCNC driver, so the output code definitely works well with 'other' CNCs. I also use it on a Mac - hopefully Kwok will soon have the changes necessary that will allow the guys with Macs to utilise the whole system :)
    The reason I use it is for the 'tabs' feature which isn't available in the DeskCNC software sadly (otherwise, it's a great CNC driver/CAM system!). Perhaps I might build a phlatprinter 'clone' as I'm all CNC'd out at the moment and my 'financial manager' doesn't see another machine as being necessary :lol: .

Cheers

Neil

19. kram242

cemal,
    You can find the slicer plugin here
    viewtopic.php?f=103&t=95#p361
    Mark and Trish

20. cemal

cemal New Member

hi guys.
    thanks for your pointers and top class script.

i have looked for the constants rb file but cannot find it to change it.

i am working on a bridge section at the mo and will post pics as soon as.
    the learning curve is a little steep but not impossible.

thanks again

21. 3DMON

The constants file is in the Phlatboyz folder. The Phlatboyz folder should be in your tools folder.