1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

WOTs NEXT - 34 Trainer/Sport Model

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by Flashsolutions, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I was looking for something new to build this week and started going thru the RCgroups forum to see what might be a fairly easy project.

I found the "WOT Next", a 34" trainer/sport model that was posted by none other than "how much".

You can check out the build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525812&highlight=wot+next.

There were no PDF files or such, but a lot of pictures with dimensions drawn by hand, so I decided this would make an excellent project for me to work up a Sketchup drawing and convert from Depron to FFF for my purposes.

One thing I thought it needed that it did not have was a true airfoil, so I made some changes to his original design and added a KF2 airfoil which is optional if you don't wish to cut into a second sheet of FFF.

And too, it lacked a pilot to fly it, so I added a cartoonish character for which I obtained the image while doing a Google search and then drew in a flying scarf. It may be copyrighted, I have no idea, but you can make your own pilot if you like to replace mine.

I deviated a bit from the plans and made my landing gear detachable as part of the battery hatch.

I used Fast-Pack.com color packing tape to dress up the completed WOT.

There are cuts in the wing and stab for flat stock carbon fiber. It your not going to use carbon fiber, you might want to delete them and regenerate the CNC file.

I am using a Lazertoyz Blue Wonder motor and 10A ESC with an 850mah 3 cell battery. I had to add a half ounce of weight to the tail to get the CG to the approximate point I expect the CG should be.

The Machine Gun was simply made with some scrap Balsa and a 1/8" dowel. I also used a bit of 1/64" plywood for the battery hatch/landing gear, and some scrap 1/4" basswood for the hatch release.

The windshield was cut from a discarded milk bottle and some ready board foam from Dollar Tree.

I have not flown it yet, so I am not sure exactly where it should balance out. I will update this post later once I have had a chance to maiden the plane.

I put all of the files I used into one Zip file to make it easier to load. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] WOTfiles.zip (1.8 MB)Â [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great looking project Flash! :doubleup:
    Thank you for sharing
    Mark and Trish

3. rescue911

rescue911 Active Member

I like it. :good:

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

The maiden was successful, but the Lazertoyz motor is a bit on the shy side.

The plane flew just fine, required no trim at all, and flew inverted, loops, and rolls with ease, but the battery and motor were hotter than I would like.

I have now swapped out the motor for a BP 2208-14 and 30A ESC, but this put extra weight up front, so I glued in the landing gear, opened up a compartment directly under the wing and added a new battery tray.

I made a simple battery hatch by covering it with 64th" ply extending about an 1/8" all around, then a couple more strips on the other side. I made the opening for the hatch 1/4" longer than the hatch itself in order to allow the hatch to slide in and slide back to lock in place. A piece of scrap basswood was added for gripping the hatch.

There is room for a 1300mah 2 or 3 cell LIPO and because the battery is directly under the CG, weight will not make any difference. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] WOT.skp (5.7 MB)Â