1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

z axis trouble

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by ncave, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ncave

ncave New Member

Hi all, new member and first post here. First off, thank you for some awsome software. Just built my first diy 3 axis machine and got it running with sketchup and your plugin. Great feeling seeing my first cut.
    My problem is......x and y do exactly what they should, and z does too except that Im not sure how to control the depth of a cut and the coordinates are not matching up with the depth of material I select.
    Such as if i select in parameters 13.5 for material thickness it actually comes up as z-18.9 in my gcode.
    This is my first venture into any kind of cnc whatsoever, so I may be missing something very simple.
    thanks ahead of time for any insight :) Tim

2. ncave

ncave New Member

To elaborate, using the default 6.3 thickness and making a simple square, my Z axis coordinates in the gcode come out as -8.890 depth. Ty again, Tim

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Tim, welcome to the forum.

The -18.9mm is not an error. If you look at the parameter box you'll see that there is a place where it says 'In/Outside Overcut %'. The default is 140% which is 18.9mm on an original 13.5mm. I have mine set to 110% when I cut foam and 102% when I cut wood.

4. ncave

ncave New Member

Thank you very much for the reply, that clears it up for me.