1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

$12.99 steppers from MPJA

Discussion in 'MOTORS - Stepper Motors' started by Flashsolutions, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I finished installing my Vexta PK266-02A steppers from MJPA. After tuning the VRef up to 3.5V (it could go as high as 2 X 2A = 4.0V) and adjusting the PFD at 1.0 on Y and Z (the 2 axes I changed steppers on), Z is now running at 65 and Y is running at a solid 300. When the bushings get worn in a little, I should easily get a consistent and reliable 400 on Y.
    Oh, I ran a #7 drill through the holes on the Y stepper before I tapped them to 1/4-20 - no problems whatsoever. :cool:

2. meistertek

meistertek Member

Dorsal, thanks for posting your results! If I remember, you have ACME rod on your Y axis, or have you installed the new belt mod? Good to hear the tapping of the holes to 1/4-20 works once drilled with a #7 drill, this will make it much easier to install the steppers.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

meistertek, I'm still running the 3/8-12 Single-Start ACME rod on Z. I think the Z-axis speed is unimportant enough to my machine's operation that changing it to a belt-drive would not be an efficient use of resources. :ugeek:

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Dorsal,
    These are great results thanks for posting this.
    With this MKII build we are doing now we are adding these to see how well the preform.
    Sounds like they will do great (can't wait)
    Thanks again
    Mark

5. meistertek

meistertek Member

Installed my two new Vexta PK266-02A steppers on both my Z and Y axis. Here are the before and after results:

Old velocities and drive setups:
    Y: Stock Stepper, ACME 3/8-12 carbon steel drive nut, 28 ipm
    Z: Stock Stepper, Stock 1/4-20 All Thread and t-nut, 12 ipm

New
    results with the two new steppers:
    Y: Vexta PK266-02A Stepper, ACME 3/8-12 carbon steel drive nut, 45 ipm
    Z: Vexta PK266-02A Stepper, 1/4-20 All Thread and t-nut , 30 ipm
    :eek:
    This mod was a great way to really improve cutting speeds for a very low cost. I may still convert my Z axis to ACME 3/8-12 to see if I can get even more speed.

6. meistertek

meistertek Member

Here are the details of how I added the new steppers, my gantry is not removable so I used a trick to help install the screws for the Z axis stepper. I drilled and tapped the existing holes for new 1/4-20 screws after Dorsal mentioned that it worked great for him. The 1/4-20 screws I used are the same length as the smaller screws that came with the stock kit.
    Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. kram242

meistertek,
    I love the tips! especially the one where you make the back of the screw a flat head! nice one, really smart
    thank you for sharing I am sure this will help a lot of guys out
    Mark and Trish

8. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Wow, nice post meistertek! Great idea for slotting the screws!

9. meistertek

meistertek Member

Thanks guys! Tapping the stepper holes and slotting the tips of the screws made this mod so much quicker to do. The performance increase with the two new steppers is pretty good for the $26 and few shipping $.

10. kram242

meistertek,
    Where did you find that wiring diagram?
    Thanks
    Mark

11. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

12. meistertek

meistertek Member

I just took a photo of the instruction sheet that came with the Vexta Steppers shipped to me. However the link TigerPilot posted is an even better sheet than the one that shipped with the steppers.

13. meistertek

meistertek Member

Guys, I was wondering if it would be possible to increase the speed of an MKI with ACME drives to over 100ipm if the drive ratio was say 3:1 between these Vexta steppers and the ACME rod. One way to do this would be to add a belt drive between the ACME rod and the Stepper shaft, I might try this out next week. Or maybe I should just break down and get the belt drive kit :lol:

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get the same belt that is used on the X axis in the stock kit, as well as the pulley that goes on the stock stepper? I suspect that they are available from McMaster Carr, I'll do some searching there.

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Meistertek, I assume you mean the X axis. The parts list is at the phlatboyz.com website, in the members section. If you can't find it, I have it somewhere. I actually picked up an extra belt from McMaster Carr when I bought my bushings. It was cheaper there, but I remember they only had the expensive aluminum pulleys. The orginal parts are from "Stock Drive Products".

-Kwok

15. kram242

We sell it and we may be able to save you a little on the price as we buy mostly in bulk to try to keep the cost down for everyone.
    You can send us a PM of what you need and we will get it out to you.
    Mark

16. meistertek

meistertek Member

Thanks Kwok and Mark, I have a little designing to do to see how this is all going to work, but right now I imagine the same small pulley as is on the Y axis on the ACME rod for the X axis and possibly Z and a larger pulley connected to the stepper. I am thinking this would allow a speed increase as it seems the steppers have plenty of turning torque at mid RPMs but always freak out and skip at high RPMs. It would be cool if the larger pulley would end up being the same size as the one on the stock Y drum, I always like keeping the number of different parts down to a minimum if possible.

Maybe this will be the start of a pulley driven ACME rod kit, if anyone would be interested in such a weird mod! :lol:

17. kram242

I hear you :)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with if you decide to go this route.
    Mark

18. ZombieBait

ZombieBait New Member

Thank you very much for the heads-up on these motors gang! I am very happy now that I've swapped out the easycnc Minebea motor on my Mk1. I was getting a max of ~14ipm before stalling, now its doing 40ipm. Haven't even changed the vref yet. Could push it but I'm satisfied for the moment (budgetting for new paraglider wing, then maybe the MkII).

Next is the Z axis. It does tend to wander about. Back to the Mods section... :)

19. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Okay, I'm kind of confused.

When you look at the data sheet for these motors (http://www.mpja.com/download/17748ms.pdf), the current rating shows, for bipolar use, to be 1.4 amps. Being that I read that, I set my VRef on my Easy-CNC card to 2.8 volts. The machine works well and doesn't miss any steps, but I've noticed that the motors get quite warm after processing a file. In fact, they are what I would describe as being hot.

I've read that Dorsal set his VRef to 3.5 volts and in our conversation this morning, he said that he hasn't noticed any significant heat on his motors.

Could it be that I'm not correctly understanding the data sheet? If I turn up the VRef to 3.5, could I expect that the motors will run more efficiently meaning they'll run cooler? I'm now wondering if the data sheet values are a typo...

If you are using these motors, can you please post the VRef value you settled on and if your motors are running hot or cool? I'm quite interested in knowing how well these things are performing for you other guys. I don't mind burning them up to find out the optimum settings (hey, it's only $36), but I hate to spend the time at this point doing an R&R. :D

Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys provide.

20. Crash

I spoke with JohnBernard36 a bit ago and he shed some light on this subject. Sometimes you just have to go to an electrical Pro when you have an electrical question. LOL

When using these motors in Bipolar configuration with our Easy-CNC cards, you should set the VRef at NO MORE than 2.8v, and 2.7v is an even better setting just to be on the safe side.

The heat I was experiencing was due to the fact that I had the machine up and idle for some time during my set-up process and, since these Easy-CNC cards do not have an idle current reduction like the more expensive drive cards, the motors got hot. I've since proved this by going out and flicking everything on so that I could "cut air" for about 20 minutes. My result? The motors are only the slightest bit warm - not hot like they were last night.

Thanks for the help, John!!

21. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Ahhhh! I have noticed this phenonoma but did not know why.

I used to notice that the steppers would be hot after I came in for supper and returned back to the workshop an hour later.

I started making it a habit to turn everything off as soon as I finished using it.

But now I understand.... Cheap controller! Just like everything else from EasyCNC!

I have been over to Johns and seen his shop. He has a variety of controllers and steppers from many sources. The man is a walking talking electronics whiz! He has obviously become addicted to CNC machining and does a lot of research.

He was the source of inspiration for the MPJA steppers. A great asset to the forum... Thanks for all you contribute John.

22. Crash

You aren't kidding about him! He's been such a wealth of information for me. And to top it all off, he doesn't even flinch when I ask him a stupid question! :D

23. kram242

idle current reduction would be a nice feature of the new Phlatboard :)
    The motors getting hot while sitting idle makes sense as te coils are charged in the holding pattern. I know we went over this somewhere before where there was a setting in mach that would pulse the coils back and forth while in idle?
    I think that was way back in the rcgroups post at the beginning of this project. :)
    The maximum heat for most stepper motors is around 212F but it is generally never good to have the motor heat go above 185F
    I am putting my MPJA motors in to day to give them a run. I have one in the Z just need to finish the other 2
    Good post Mike thank you
    Thanks to John for all your electronics help, we get lost sometimes when it comes to that :D
    Mark

BTW the new 10A board offered by easy-cnc does have current reduction by 40% when no signals are being sent to the motors :) Nice board at a great price

24. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I just read on the CNCZone ,in the thread about the Toshiba 3.5A driver, that you can set the idle current, or reduced current, in Mach3. I don't know how, but I'll have to find out.

25. kram242

Yoram that would be nice to know. I will look as well. It maybe that we have to have the original Mach screen up.
    Mark