1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

66 inch Saucer Flight Report

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by KX-5, Dec 27, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Sweet LaVerne! Can't wait, once again good luck, but I have a feeling she will do great :good:
    (On the 3D printing) I can't wait to be able to print things like custom control horns and landing gear supports!
    Mark and Trish

2. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Now that the season is about over, I thought I'd give a flight report for this project. I have 14 flights on it so far. The weight of this saucer was a challenge to work with. It ended up at about 20lbs. The biggest challenge aside from building it, was getting the landing gear to be strong enough to handle it on landing. I started with 1/4" wire, but that did not work. The nose gear ended up being a dual wire 1/4 scale unit. The main gear is from a Great Planes 25% YAK 54 1.60. This gear is holding up just fine. The next item was power. I started with an E-Flite Power 90 on 8 cells. It would get the plane in the air, but, it was like a WWII bomber that was over loaded on take off. I switched the 90 out for an Exceed Monster 160 with a 20x10 prop. Now I had decent power to get it airborne. The short video will show that. For next season, I will be going to 10 cells. But, my Castle Ice 100 is only good for 8 cells. So, I hope santa will be good to me this Christmas. With 10 cells, I will feel very comfortable with the power level. The Power 90 is an 1800 watt motor. The Monster 160 is a 2700 watt motor. This winter I'm going to work on the lighting system that is already installed. I can turn it on, but I want to be able to individually control each of the 28 LED pods( 9 leds in each pod). Should be some fun there. The video is very short. Basically a take off, then coming in from the west to land it. The picture is from Watts over Owatonna in Minnesoto.

Attached files [​IMG]

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at how noisy the prop is. Almost like a gas engine.

4. KX-5

KX-5 Member

I've heard that one before. It has to do with the prop chopping thru the motor mount plane. There's that short distance where the air flow is interrupted and makes the chop sound. It's the pusher type setup that results in this noise.

5. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

Very cool! 20lbs? 2700 watts? What a beast! Great work.

6. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Very nice project, well executed. Looks like you can really drag the tail across the line with that design.

I may have an esc for cheap if my buyer steps aside on the deal. I won the eRC 120A HV Brushless Programmable Opto ESC w/programmer from the RCTodayShow podcast. It's more than I'll ever use and I'm only moving it on to a worthy home.

7. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

NICE. :fantastic:
    I had to watch with out sound at work . It doesn't look like 20#s, particularly on landing.

Boy 90% of our club would NEVER be able to hit that runway.

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I love in the video where you are coming in for a landing and its just floating in like a vertical landing craft. Very nice! Great job KX-5
    Mark and Trish

9. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Thanks for all the comments. :) The landing strip does add some fun challenge to landing. So, 66tbird, you got my attention on the ESC.