1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

6mm Grey depron from RCFoam

Discussion in 'Foam Talk' started by KX-5, Sep 6, 2009.

1. KX-5

KX-5 Member

I purchased a case of the 6mm grey depron from RCFoam. The price is great and the shipping time was awesome. However, my current project is made up of 7 sheets of foam. After getting everything successfully cut out, I started my usual dry test assembly. I discovered that the 6mm grey is not 6mm. It's closer to 5mm. All of the slots were sized for 6mm or 1/4". I assumed that the 6mm grey would be the same size as the white which in my experience is 6mm. Bad assumption on my part. I now have a large plane project with sloppy fitting slots. This was extremely dissappointing. Has anyone else used the 6mm grey from RCFoam?

2. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

I find most foam from order to order will be slightly different in thickness. I have not used the grey from RCFoam but have been making it a point to check it with a caliper and resize the plane if needed. Not that this is the answer but you can easily go into your sketchup file and with the ruler go to one of your tabs and snap a line on the width of your tab hit enter and it will ask if you want to resize your model say yes and you are good to go. Of course you have to make gcode for the files again! I had the same issue with the Blue foam FFF and sized it on 6mm when it is actually 5.5mm. I hate wasting foam myself :evil:

John

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

The problem with your suggestion, xtremeRCpilot, is that if you do the resizing as you described, the whole plane will be smaller, and quite a bit of it. Almost 20%, depending on the size you had originally.

4. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

KX-5, i also ran into this kind of trouble before, with pink or blue 1/2 or what i call .500 sheeting....i checked the stuff at .560 in. ya gotta remember this kinda product or depron for that matter, is made for building underlayment without to much concern for the foam description ....people working with these supplies, a 1/32 of a inch is probably close to them for what ther doing. i would just glue it up and try to forget about this issue...think of it a a positive learning experience....everyone makes mistakes.. some only make them once...i got a feeling you wont forget about this one...good luck with your project. randy.

5. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

I Agree Tiger, I guess I forgot to mention that!! Sorry, I was just looking at the bigger picture as this would only be a temporary fix or at least give someone an option for product inconsistency!! I have done this on occation but alway keep both files so at least they are scale. Also I have just redone the tabs which on a more precise plane is another option!! Hope this helps!! :)

John

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I've been finding myself doing tabs at 5mm or 5.5mm. Then if I do get a piece of foam that is actually 6mm, it's just a nice tight fit. It's better to have to squeeze it in than have it sloppy.

Also if your designing for 1/4" the 6mm foam is gonna be sloppy because 6mm is .236" compared to .250".

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to make the width of the tab slots a Dynamic feature? Then you could simply go to an input screen, change the width of the slots, regen the g-code and Voila!

8. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

YES !! That would be awesome... :cool:

9. KX-5

KX-5 Member

All the white foam I have used has been right on 6mm and the 1/4" slots work great. My experience to date with 5 saucers of varying sizes, the white foam was consistent at 6mm. Re-sizing a plane based on foam thickness does'nt sound like an good option to me. I ordered a case of the grey 6mm x 48" sheets for a 45" saucer I'm building and that's the first time I had run into a variance. I talked with Steve from RCFoam about this. He said the grey foam should be 6mm to 6.1mm. And, he did a spot measure of his stock and found that to be true. On rare occasion the white foam would come in at 5.1mm but that had been several years back. Steve was great to talk with and offered to replace the sheets used. :D I highly recomend RCFoam as a depron source. And, I will use this as a valuable lesson.

10. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Good news KX... They are great folks !! I just ordered a bunch of foam last week and I too will check the thickness and make a note!! It is a bummer when you waste a sheet of this higher priced material :oops:

11. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear they offered to replaced those sheets. I'm about to make an order soon myself.