1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

angry bird

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by nstaller, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I just started playing this not to long ago and I hit lvl 2 Mighty Hoax. You could build a bunch of these green pigs and just prop them up and use them as targets.

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

now we can combat for real! :doubleup:
    Great job Glen! lol targets , thats perfect!
    Mark and Trish

3. nstaller

nstaller Member

The video is not mine, Its the one that I saw on rcgroups.
    At full throttle mine is pretty quick, I was suprised. Its no pylon racer but it does real good. I hope to get video of it in the next few days.

4. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Love it :doubleup: This is great.

5. kram242

OK guyz,
    Went through and did the file again.
    I have the black sharpie art added and the new cut files ready to go.
    If you cut it out please post pics :good:

Updated Changes
    -Now has Black sharpie art pocket (Red and Yellow you color with fat max sharpie or paint)
    -New cut code added wing centering score-lines
    -Added the belly line (forgot it on the last version)
    -Orginized nested parts as well as grouped the cut order)
    -Added the other beak

*Step 1: Load sharpie attachment with black sharpie marker. Line up the foam and make a dot for your starting position on the foam. Zero your software and run the 1_AngryBird_Black Sharpie.cnc file.
    *Step 2: Attach your spindle attachment to the Phlatprinter and line up the bit with the dot you made on the foam for the sharpie starting position in the last step.
    Run the 2_AngryBird_Cut.cnc file.
    *Step 3:
    Color the red and yellow aeras with paint or fat markers.

Build and fly!

Attached files 1_Angrybird_Black Sharpie.cnc (865 KB)Â 2_AngryBird_Cut.cnc (27.9 KB)Â [​IMG] AngryBird_Cut Files and Sharpie Art.skp (5.4 MB)Â

6. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Very cool to add the "Sharpie & Cut" file Mark.. :D
    Thanks

7. kram242

8. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Been awhile since I visited the forum. Saw this crazy Angry Bird and just had to have one!

But for those of you who know me, I can't let well enough alone. Always got to make a mod here or there.

So first off, I added a stand for the Angry Bird. Seems like he needed a good place to roost when not bombing targets.

I also added a few paint masks to help with the painting job and oh yeah, the big one, I doubled the thickness of the main bird component (fuse?) so that it is much stiffer and I added two more layers for the birds beak.

The stand is double thickness too... laminate with 3M 77 or glue of your choice.

By the way, I used Short Cuts paint for painting. It does a super job!

And I also made some plywood parts for the firewall and servo mounts. I guess I should also have added cutouts for the servos, but alas, I forgot that and just cut them by hand. Don't you just hate to do that anymore! I'll definitely add them if I make another one.

I think thats all...

Oh, by the way, I missed the lastest post with the sharpie mods... Darn! I must have gotten started just a few minutes before it was posted. Oh well.
    Enjoy! Attached files [​IMG] AngryBird_with_PaintMasksAndStand.skp (982.5 KB)Â PlywoodParts.skp (550.4 KB)Â

9. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice job Flash!

These Angry Birds are just too cool.

10. kram242

Turned out out fantastic Flash! How does she fly?
    Mark and Trish

11. nstaller

nstaller Member

:doubleup: looks great Flash, I have been thinking about enlarging the control surfaces slightly but will wait till your flight report.

12. Flashsolutions

Was too windy this morning to make a test flight. But it was sure a hit with all the club members. It was on display at our weekly indoor venue and drew lots of attention!

13. nstaller

nstaller Member

wait till we get the pig flying too, combat will never be the same :D

14. Flashsolutions

Yeah, when pigs fly. LOL

15. nstaller

nstaller Member

:D wont be long now

16. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Hey guys. Not a lot of time to build lately, but I just had to print up the "Angry Bird" plane! I may not finish building it for a bit but I hope to have it ready for an indoor next month. Thanks Mark for doing all the work!

This was my first time really using the sharpie attachment for anything more than small tests. My first attempt didn't go too well, though. I didn't pay attention to the length of the Depron sheet and ended up overrunning the end of the sheet. I ended up taking that ruined sheet and cutting the edges off and using it for an extension piece to a new sheet of depron. Measure once, cut twice....

There also was a few minor issues with some of the larger pen movements overshooting a bit on the X axis. I suspect it is backlash compensation related. However, the results came out pretty good and a few minutes manually filling the few white spots produced good results.

Yes! Double sided worked, too! Simply line the edge of the foam to the edge of the printer and tap corner holes for the 0,0 and the 0,24 spots and line up the gantry!

There is guide grooves shallow cut that helps the pieces line up. The fit is PERFECT, thanks for posting the files!

The kids are way more into the bird thing than I am. Mrs. Toast made these costumes for them several weeks ago. The got a lot of attention trick-or-treating with their fun costumes. Beats the "Plants vs Zombies" costumes they wore last year!

TT Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

Nice work TT and those costumes are awesome.

18. Flashsolutions

The rain and winds subsided long enough to get in a test flight this morning.

As I suspected, this bird will definitely need some rudder control.

Like the flying Surfboard that Mark created, it wants to turn left all the time and is unable to turn to the right at all. When rudder was added, it became a very steerable craft.

I used a Lazertoyz motor which I found is underpowered for this size plane. I will be swapping that out for a BPhobbies motor probably in the 1400KV range and a 9x4.7 prop if it will fit. I have used the Lazertoyz Blue Wonder on a similar sized PBF which works well, but it did not have enough power to adequately fly the Angry Bird.

I also used a prop saver on the Lazertoyz motor which was a mistake. When I landed the prop saver folded over and the prop cut into the wing a bit. I will add some carbon fiber along the edges just the same.

I increased the travel on the elevon servos to 150% and still it could use more control. I think the elevons need to be bigger. I doubt it could do a roll or loop given its current size.

I will be making a few changes this afternoon and maybe by tomorrow I can get in another test flight and report if any improvements to the performance were made.

19. nstaller

nstaller Member

I would try making the control surfaces a constant width instead of them tapering to the outside edge, Mine flies ok as is but the increased area on the surfaces should make it more maneuverable.
    as far as prop size I felt that the smaller the prop with a higher kv motor would cut down on the amount of torque on the plane.

20. kram242

[​IMG]
    That turned out great looking ToxicToast! :doubleup:
    SilverFox is right the costumes turned out sweet, hats off to you guyz for making your own

Flash, it may be your modified version of the AngryBird design has thrown off the CG due to the increased weight in areas. if you are having a hard time turning this craft to the right, you should lower the nose of the aircraft and not fly at such high alpha. Your flying tail heavy and allowing the torque to rotate the craft like a helicopter. Give a try moving the battery a little more forward.

Great job on this cool project
    Mark and Trish

21. Flashsolutions

I have the battery as far as I can go without putting in on his beak.

That said, I added a rudder and wow, what a difference that made!

After flying around for 10 minutes, I was getting a bit too cocky and between that and a gust of wind, the bird decided to eat a worm, which turned out to be a snake that ate the wing off the bird. :D

With only one thickness of foam on the wing portion and the battery being attached there, the combined effects tore the wing up a bit, but in the process gave me some ideas for some mods which I have just drawn up in Sketchup.

I redrew the plans to put the wing at a 15 degree angle so that it will fly at high alpha and still let the bird point forward instead of with his head stuck up in the air like he is too good for any other birds who might be nearby.

Several of us have a kite plane that is configured with the wing at an angle from the fuse and it flys great, so I am hoping the same approach here will work well.

I also added a hidden battery compartment in the beak to fit a 800mah 2 cell LIPO and I doubled the thickness of the wing to match the fuse. If that is still does not produce a better CG, I may increase the battery to an 850 mah 3 cell which may require a little bigger opening, so some tweaking may be in order.

This should make for one tough bird and not even require carbon fiber support.

I will be cutting this one out today and giving it a try later tomorrow. If it works out well, I will then post the Sketchup File, but for now, here is a rendering of how the changes should look...

This is turning into a really fun project.

Attached files [​IMG]

22. kram242

Looks good Flash! :good:

23. nstaller

nstaller Member

24. Flashsolutions

Okay, I finished building Version 2 and will maiden it tomorrow morning weather permitting.

Lots of changes here. Doubled up the foam on the wing portion and extended it 2" wider.

Wing is now at 15 degree angle with the fuse for high alpha flight.

Battery is compartmentalized in the beak section and a cover is held in place with 4 magnets.

Packing tape placed in surrounding propeller areas to prevent nicks and strengthen.

Rudder added to cut path.

Angry Birds eyes are now separate pieces of FFF which are then laminated to fuse. Makes painting easier. Added new paint mask to make it easier to paint. Spray white first, then overlay black with mask in place. Attached files AngryBird_V2.skp (1.3 MB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

That looks awesome Flash! I'm gonna be doing a indoor demo for a Cub Scout lockin next week. I want to build a couple for the event, so please let me know how this version flies.
    :doubleup: