1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

BF109E

Discussion in 'WarBirds' started by tvcasualty, Sep 6, 2009.

1. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

This 1/7 monster is almost ready for maiden!
    This was the design I was beta testing the 9.19 PS on.
    For the flaws found in 9.19, we sure worked through quite a few, and it still worked well enough to produce this!

For scale Mark asked for a pic of me holding it it, so here we go!

Spinner is home made, used slicer plugin to cut the foam parts and vac formed a styrene shell. Easy to do, and a perfect (for me) result! Attached files [​IMG]

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Oh yea! Very cool tv.

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Looks nice! I'm curious how the spinner is held on? Maybe you can add that info, when you update your build log.

-Kwok

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Another very nice model!
    I was wondering how you attached the spinner too.

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That is fantastic!!! Super job!!
    Mark

6. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Erik you the man!!! totally sweet man!!! you keep out doing yourself... hey do you think the old monkey can learn a lil?? naaa...lols. good work peace, randy.

7. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Fantastic! very nice indeed! I hope you're going to make the plans available... I think i just added something else to my build list!! :D :D :D

Very nice design!

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

8. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Erik, you da BOMB !!! You have true modeling skilz and it is amazing how you just keep creating!! Nice work my Friend!!! You really need to continue with your Mig15, that is one of my favs!! :D

John

9. kram242

Whoa!! Xtreme I have been asking for the P-38 first!! :D
    I would like to see the mig 15 too! I didn't see that you were working on that one. I also would like to see the Typhoon..
    One day when you get the chance it would be cool if you could post all your designs so far that you are sharing here. ;)
    Thanks Erik
    Mark

10. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Randy I think we can both learn a lil off your cnc hotwire, that will make some really nice wings! :) Do I hear road trip? :lol:

kyyu and 3DMON, I will definitely get some more pics up of the spinner, it worked out almost too well and I hope I can repeat the results later on!

xtremeRCpilot
    , I will finish up that MiG15 soon as well not a lot of work to do on that one, but my CellPro 4S DIED!! So I don’t have a way to charge my 4S cells right now. Hopefully I’ll get it fixed, but I’m likely to go with a HK solution instead… :(

kram242
    , don’t worry the P-38 has always been one of my favorites, and now I know how to make two spinners alike! ;) On hold but NOT forgotten.

Everyone else
    , thank you so much for the complements, sorry for the UGLY MUG in the pic! You guys really keep me going on this and every build I learn a little more and have a little more fun!

More pics to come and I’ll do a pp montage soon here on all the great planes I’ve made on my pp. Should be very pic heavy thanks to the pp! :)

11. rjarois

Erik, thanks again for letting me fly your 109....it flies great with a nice level attitude. great job. randy.

12. kram242

I'm feeling a little jealous here! :) I hope to some day soon fly with you guys looks like you bring the big guns too the field
    Mark

13. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Man, Randy was kind enough not to mention the fence incident... This plan requires a lot of landing area. I broke the spinner, bent up the prop shaft a bit, and folded the wing when I landed on the 2nd flight. Tonight I re-re-maiden-ed with CF spars in the wings and am very happy to report that it flies just as good as before. The landing roll is incredably long though! At over 100 yards out at about 20 feet I cut power, it cruised right by me, then past my dad who was 30 yards behind me to come to a nice soft landing 20 yards past him! If that fence wasn't there on that 2nd landing I would have set it down on the road!

Now that I know that, I will be able to account for it, but that also means that this plane will glide exceptionally well! Very low drag on this airframe!

I'm going to start painting very soon here, hopefully it will end up something like this:
    http://hsfeatures.com/images/gallandbf109edt_1_8.jpg

If you want plans, just ask!

14. kram242

PLANS PLEASE!! :D
    Does it need a long runway for take off as well as landing? of is it just because its so big it seems to take longer to stop?
    Mark

15. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Yarg! The curse of the German Warbirds is upon me!
    That's right gunned me down another 109 today...
    Got this one right after take off, easy pickens...
    She came apart right at the nose!
    Yeah,
    Seems the 14x7 HK prop I was using was the cause of all the bad vibrations. The nose pulled right off the rest of the plane and the propeller proceeded to chop into the wing all the way down.

Lucky for me I've got a pp, so ignoring rule number 1 on the after a crash list I've already begun repairs, foam fixes easy as it is, and with the pp it's all the better.

It will be ready for the Re-Re-Re-RE-Mainden tomorrow, and I will be getting most of the painting done.

Now there was a list of things I was to do this week around the house, but my obsession will not rest until this plan stays in the air! :D :D :D

16. kram242

I love the after a crash list TV :D
    Sorry to hear about the crash but I am happy to know that you are already repairing!
    The things to do around the house list just keeps growing here too!
    Good luck with the Re-Re-Re-RE-Maiden I know it will be great!
    Its amazing that you use a 14" prop I have never even seen a prop that size, let alone tried to fly an aircraft with one! That is awesome
    Mark

17. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thanks Mark, that was a first for me as well. Until this point I've been using the trusty GWS HD/EP props. The GWS props are cheap, work well, and seem to draw less power (or are at least more efficient) then their more expensive APC counter parts.

I going to prop down to a 12x8 GWS, same prop as the 50" corsair and 52" Typhoon use, so I should have good results... Perhaps I should weigh this one?

18. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Waiting for the glass to dry...
    So here's some pics...

This was before the CRASH...

[​IMG]

Here's another shot of the spinner...

[​IMG]
    Some CA or Hot glue will hold it nicely (it will not be easily removable at that point, but once it's one, it should not need to come off unless I break a prop, and it that happens, it's likely to need replaced anyhow.

Note, this is the 2nd spinner I've pulled from my slicer made positive foam mold. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Update! It turned out not to be the APC style prop causing the vib issue, but I'm sure the added weight of the 14" prop didn't help with the problem.

I had to really beef up the motor mount area. I ended up running 1/2" foam 'brackets' from the motor mount along the bottom of the fuse all the way back to the wing inside the fuse. The foam brackets were also attached to some heavy "pool foam" type stuff along the sides... Anyway as the motor reved up it created a vibration that only grew worse, likely due to the cantilever design of the motor mount (normally I support the motor mount 360 degrees around the wood firewall). In this design the entire top of the nose comes off to hide panel lines, similar to the scale aircraft. The motor is still cantilevered but is much better supported.

Ok great, got her repainted as white 4, but sadly don’t have pics to share at this time.

And the Re-re-re-re-maiden went spectacular! She will take off at 1/2 throttle, and climbs incredibly at full power. I pulled an 11 min flight, doing loops and rolls at 1/2 power, it was really a joy to fly.

20. kram242

Great to hear Erik!! congratulations on another AWESOME build brother!!
    Mark

21. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thanks Mark, I hope to get some nice pics up soon for ya!

22. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

More painting to go, but I had to share!

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. rjarois

very nice Erik...looks way better now. make sure ya balance the prop good on the foamies...if not it will tear em up.. also i see ya blocked the pack in place nice, looks great. looks to good to fly now, lols...randy.

24. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Awsome work Erik! :shock: If someone showed me those photos and told me it was an ARTF they'd bought from a store then i'd have believed them! You must be really pleased with it.

Si.

25. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thanks guys! Indeed I am pleased, and it looks even better airborne! I'm really hoping to get some pics of it in the air very soon here. I need to carve up a pilot and add a few more finishing touches to the paint job, but I am not shy about flying at this point and it sure does fly nice.