1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

BF109E

Discussion in 'WarBirds' started by tvcasualty, Sep 6, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Erik you ROCK that is unreal! You are truly a master at this :)
    I love the way the gun ports came out, it looks beautiful
    Really nice job
    Mark

2. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

:) Flyin weather, well not quite, >15mph winds, but it worked out well enough for this model!

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Erik that plane looks awesome in the air!
    You got skills :cool: .

4. kram242

Eric that is so realistic looking! It could be in a movie :)
    Thanks for the photos I will add them to the customer showcase section
    Great job Erik.. BTW how does she fly now with everything on her?
    Mark

5. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Aw Mark, it just flys incredible! I believe it's just a tad nose heavy yet, so I need to move the battery back, but wow, this is the scale to build at.

6. kram242

Nice to hear Erik, It maybe that's why the guys keep going bigger with their designs. It maybe that it handles so much better with the larger scale. I would not know as I have never flown a plane bigger than 30" ws profile.
    We are going to have to get a separate booth at the show just for your designs if you keep going at this rate! :lol:
    Next question plans? :)
    Mark

7. Peltzer71

Peltzer71 New Member

That is an incredible aircraft...I agree! I would have thought it was an arf if I didn't know better! When do you sleep and work?

8. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I am very fortunate to be able to sleep at work, oh wait, you mean something else... :D
    To be really honest these builds do not take me that much time.
    I made the entire replacement wing for this one in an evening after I realized the old one wasn't going to cut it. I actually threw more time at painting this one then on the entire construction process, well maybe not if you count the CAD time.

This is one of the really great things about a pp though, I like doing the CAD work and I can work on many models at once or one specific. Then I just print myself a kit and go. This particular model was realized in less then a month’s time, and I'm lucky enough to have a schedule that supports my habit.

Thanks for all the complements guys. It keeps me going.

9. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Alright I had to replace the picture up front of me holding the plane, I'm less embarrassed about the new pic :) The airplane look s much better! :)

10. kram242

Erik the new pic looks great! That plane is HUGE!!
    Nice job man it looks great.
    Mark

11. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

erik, i found the german warbird airfoil...i am goung to test cut on my wire...can you tell me if, and how much the washout is?? i am going to cut for a 50in model. next time we meet you will welcome to them. randy.

12. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

From everything I have read, I have found that washout actually hurt the 109 for tip stalls. Now that being said, others have told them they have found washout to be helpful. Mine has no washout. I planned on doing LE slats, but it flies so well slow it's not worth it. If you put it in, I would say 3 degrees or less based on other warbirds I've done... btw I pulled you a canopy. :)

13. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Useful numbers?
    Root Length: 13.294"
    Tip Length: 5.679"
    Wing length (1/2): 28.034" rotated to a 7 degree dihedral.

14. rjarois

erik, i got slightly different numbers...i will post them before i program. here is the photo i used. i first scaled the wingspan to 50in. randy.

Attached files german warbird.skp (707.2 KB)Â german warbird.skp (707.2 KB)Â

15. rjarois

i get .... length = 25.316
    root = 11.687
    tip root = 5.926

16. rjarois

erik, wile i wait for my carbon order for my other project...i am remaking my wire cutter platform, and cleaning and calibratin,and tweakin the cnc. shortly i will start doing some test cuts on the German flyer. randy.

17. jubalula

jubalula New Member

Hi tv,
    Your job is fantastic, I visit Foam Casualty and I surprised with all. I never thought that would be possible to made an rc plane from foam. I´m interested in make an Me 163 in 1/6 scale for a long time. I will try to do it in foam with the great help of the posts on foam casualty. I´d like to tell you a story about me, maybe it woul help you too. I´m a designer and i´m working with softwares since 1990. So it is about 20 years with this. My 17 years old son is and enthusiastic 1/6 collector. He collect 1/6 soldiers from wwII. We discover that people in 1/6 construct vehicles from pvc sheets. We decide to try it. The first thing I thought was, well with all my expertise wee will start with and 3d model of the panzer III so I will unfold it on 3dmax and cut it on a router. Well, here start my surprise. My son search on net about people who works with this and discover they use to construct the old and good paper models. You woul find almost any planes and vehicles of wwII on this papermodels. Now we are working on a panzer III and a horch in pvc. I dont know if you know abou papermodels, but if not you would be surprised with this like me. Regards from Brazil and keep with the good work. Congratulations for your beautyfull job.

18. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thanks jubalula! I have seen others using paper models, but I have not seen a good source. I'm am very glad my website has been helpful to you and your son. I would love to see your panzer it sounds like a very neat project! I will look into papermodels soon, but truth be told, I like drawing them up as much as building and flying. Makes them a bit more personal for me. :D

19. jubalula

jubalula New Member

Certainly when we put the hands on, the taste is better. I´m still not believing that a foam plane like you show to construct is capable of flight. If you don´t post pictures of it flying I would never believe. There are a section on site that specifies what kind of engine and servos you use for it?

20. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

21. memphisbelle

memphisbelle New Member

Are there any plans for this beauty yet? Ive downloaded the .skp file thats posted here but its really blurred & of little use :roll:

22. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I've been working hard on getting a nice skp file for this plane in a nice plan from.
    It's been a ton of work, but I love the results.

Here is a sneak peak! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice way of laying stuff out Erik.
    The plane looks great too.

24. kram242

Eirk that is a work of art! :eek:
    Wow I would print that top picture and frame it, it looks fantastic!
    I can truly appreciate all the work that you went through to get these results! Super job brother
    Mark

25. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Thanks Mark.
    It's a labor of love I guess! :)