1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Bread Butter Construction

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by frankmcneilll, Jul 4, 2009.

1. frankmcneilll

frankmcneilll New Member

Hi All,

Go to http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/smf-q004.html for information about one of the methods for constructing models of ships and boats. This looks like something that might be adapted for the production of kits for hulls and decks consisting of foam lifts that could be assembled and coated with Styrospray, or some of the other materials that can provide hard waterproof coatings for plastic foam.

Best wishes, Frank McNeill

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This is a great method Frank.
    We have used this technique with the Phlatprinter in the past. In the free plans section there are a few plans done this way. 'Tut head' for instance.
    As a mater of fact there is a cool plugin for Sketchup called Slicer that make quick work of creating sliced sections from a model.
    I have never thought of using this B&B for a boat though. Nice ,I will have to try that out.
    Thanks for sharing Frank
    Mark

3. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I wish I was into boats, or had unlimited time so I could be into boats. That could be done SO easy with foam. Give it a glass coating on the hull, bam, insta ship.

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I made a 24" sailboat, with this method, a long time ago. I found a old book, probably from the 50's, at the used book store. I was called "Model Sailing Yachts". This was one of the method described (they called it "the construction of a carved model") and it had the lines for the boat. I made mine out of 1" thick wood boards. It's pretty amazing, when you plane the outside surface to remove the steps; and a perfect hull shaped is revealed.

-Kwok