1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

CarBEN EV open source electric car design

Discussion in 'Sketchup Gallery' started by NeilBlanchard, Jun 15, 2011.

1. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I will soon have a lot more time to work on getting the higher amperage drive board and X-axis stepper motor set up, and then to start construction of the CarBEN EV5; as the architects I have been working for are running low on work.

2. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I've been beavering away on the DataCAD drawing for CarBEN EV5, and these are the 42 sections forward of the high point on the roof; starting at the very front of the nose:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The front sections are ~1" thick because the transition is rapid, and the "stacked" sections are where I need to use a shallower depth to stop a feature. The majority of them will be 1 15/16" thick though -- there are about 85 of these, so this represents less than half -- and they are not done yet. There are five and a half sheets laid out -- I will know how many it will take to do the whole chassis when I finish this! :)

I will be using 1" thick foam sheets and just cutting two of each. This will let me use the bits I have and the machine will handle them a lot better without any farther futzing with the high current driver board and X-axis stepper motor.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Neil,
    This is looking superb! Very nice work my friend.
    I am glad to see you went with the 1" foam. I think, like you say is going to work better over all for what you are using.
    From reading the above post it sounds like you are moving forward again and its very exciting :doubleup:
    This is such a bold project and a huge undertaking, we wish you the best and are waiting anxiously with every post!
    Good luck
    Mark and Trish

4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I'm still drafting -- there is a lot more done even than these screen captures show, but this is what I can show you -- these are all the sections at once:

[​IMG]

These are a sampling of the sections progressing from the high point on the roof back to the rear doors:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm now laying out the 2'x8' foam sheets -- I've finished doing this with the 18th section out of 46 or so. :)

5. kram242

Looking great Neil! We have been following you blog as well and glad to see you still working at this its going to be great to see it start to come to life!
    Mark and Trish

6. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Glad your moving along. Things just work so much better when the machine is happy.

7. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I moved my PhlatPrinter 3 in from the front porch where is was cold, and now that it has been sitting inside for a while, the whole gantry came loose. I think thermal expansion just loosened up the bolts, etc. I'll used some blue LocTite when I reassemble it.

I need to finish the drafting so I know how many sheets of foam to order! ;-) It will be around 100 sheets of the 1" thick XPS. The best place I found has the squared edged sheets for $8.88 each, but it is all the way down in Texas, so I'll have to figure in shipping. The Lowes around here are spotty and they seem to be stopping carrying the blue Dow XPS. A local supplier would be good -- Dow is based around here in Massachusetts, so it would be ironic to buy from Texas.

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Your local Lowes should be able to order the foam for you.

9. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

Yes, I will check the cost via my local Lowes store, vs the FRP place in Texas.

10. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I have completed ALL the drafting on CarBEN EV5!

Woohoo! There are 49 sheet layouts, and 5 of those are 1" thick, so that means I need a minimum of 93 sheets of foam. I need to export them into SketchUp and process them to then generate the G-code to cut the sheets.

[​IMG]

11. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I bought 25 sheets of 1" x 2' x 8' Dow XPS foam today! This is 1/4 of what I need to build the whole full size chassis, but it is what I could afford at the moment.

Now I'm diving back into the settings file and I will run the 3 g-code files I have generated so far...

12. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

Okay, a glitch (or two?) -- about halfway through the run on the first sheet, the Z-height failed to pull up high enough when moving between parts, and then plunged down all the way. This caused the X-axis to get off kilter (since the gantry was dragging on the X rollers).

I restarted the sheet to try again (using the same sheet) and it dropped down too low immediately, this time.

FYI, I upgraded to the latest stable CNC USB Controller program, and it flashed the firmware on the controller board before it started. I'm cutting 1" foam in a single pass, with tabs (which work well to clear the dust and cool the bit).

Any thoughts on a possible cause for this?

13. kram242

Neil sounds like you are loosing a lot of steps. Make sure that during your move the wires did not come loose causing a short. This can happen especially on the Z axis because of the wire being moved back and forth so much with the gantry. Check your vref voltages to make sure you are getting enough current to the steppers as well. (Easy cnc manual link wasn't sure if your still using their card) http://www.easy-cnc.com/web/download/Manual3Axis(NEW).pdf
    Hope this helps out and I just wanted to say the parts layout picture you posted above look great! :good:
    Mark and Trish
    p.s. Ever consider putting this project up on kickstarter? Seems to me it would be a perfect candidate.
    http://www.kickstarter.com

14. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

Here's the video -- it is a noisy thing with both the CNC router and the small shop vacuum running:

You can see when the error occurred at about 10:50 -- I first thought it was a slippage on the Z-axis screw (which you can see me adjusting back upwards after pausing the g-code controller program) but it keeps plunging in. I was hoping that the pieces would be usable, but the resulting X-axis slippage meant that it ran off the back edge of the sheet...

Mark, I'll check the wires on the Z-Axis. I did have to tighten the Z-axis rail bearings (they are still a bit looser than I'd like) and the wires may have been loosened then.

Is there something in the settings file that could limit the downward distance, as well?

And yes, I have thought about Kickstarter -- I'm really not sure how it works fully, yet; so I will look into it.

15. kram242

Nice video Neil but ,man that stinks to get that far into a cut and it goes bad! believe me I know how this feels, no fun.
    I did not have sound on my end from the video but It looks like to me that the software is locking up and stopping everything?(not sure if that is right but thats what it looks like when everything stops all at once) I used to get that sometimes due to a software bug, I would be cutting along fine and then the machine would just stop. (cncusb) I found it had something to do with the 3D work area of the software (where you can view and rotate the part code) for some reason as long as I had clicked in that area after starting the run it would work :questions: Not sure why this was the case and may just be a direct-x error causing problems only on my computer, but since then I have had a few others tell me the same thing. I have since updated the software and have not really run into that as much. I still get glitches here and there but not like I was before the upgrade.
    If you goto File>Settings>Axes 3 (tab) you will see the software limits and the Z is set to 2.13
    As for kickstarter its pretty straight forward to set up but is a process and took us about a weekend to get going. There is a back verification step(s) that make the process longer. Its a project but with a good attitude you can make it fun and it could really help out in the long run.
    Mark and Trish

16. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Not sure how you have your Z axis set up, but I changed mine to have the small pulley on the stepper, and large on the gantry (Opposite of the design). I wasn't a fan of the original design (Sorry Mark ;-) ) but tried it anyway. I had problems with my Z axis until I switched the pulleys around. I only get about 40IPM on the Z now which is Much better then missing steps and having the bit drag through the material. Plus I cut a lot of wood with mine, and I have the plunge set for 25IPM anyway so the slower speed is really a moot point for me.

17. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I was pausing the CNC USB Controller program.

I'll check the wire connections and the voltages on the board. What is a good TP1 voltage with the stock (1A) stepper motors?

18. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I, too, was not a fan of the z axis pulley setup. I changed mine to two small pulleys. I used the one from the x axis, that was replaced with a alu pulley, to replace the big pulley. Had to change the belt too. I wrote about it in my mod thread. Before the change I had lost steps after the change they were gone and I still get a high enough ipm. 150 with no problem. Maybe lost steps are Neil's problem too?

19. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I checked the voltages, and the Z and the Y axes were way too low (under 1v) and I brought them up to ~2.55v. The X axis is my Achilles Heel -- I'm still getting missed steps, but only when the sheet is moving to the back of the machine. I think the belt is too loose.

Remember that I have ball bearings on the idler wheels, so I will tighten it a bit and see if that fixes it.

What voltage is too high? I really have to push the X-axis motor -- maybe I should put a fan blowing on it?

20. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I have successfully cut the first 4 sheets for the CarBEN EV5 chassis -- only 89 to go!

WOO HOO!!!

I had to fix two problems: the voltage driving the Z and Y axes was too low, and the drive belt on the X axis stepper motor was loose. And I added back the two side roller rails so that they keep the sheet from shifting side to side. Each piece finished the cut *right* where it started; virtually perfectly...

Today was an amazing day! I've been working for over three years on this project and I finally have something *physical* to show for it! :)

Here's the video of cutting the second copy of the F23 sheet (it is being processed to remove the hand shake...):

I ran out of space on the camera about a minute before the last part finished, but I'm sure you get the idea... ;)

Now I need to generate more g-code files - and cut hopefully 5 or 6 more sheets tomorrow. Then start gluing... :)

21. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

CONGRATS!!!! I can only imagine how it feels. It feels great when get a plane after spending a few hours whacking out a design :)

22. kram242

Way to go Neil! :banger: Your perseverance paid off
    I think everyone who has been following this project is really happy for you right now this is AWESOME and like Dave said I can only imagine how you felt as the sheets started cutting right.
    Just a tip here to remember to keep everything lubed (including the flex shaft) as you go into this project. This is going to be a lot of cutting and I would hate to see something break down on you.
    Once again Neil GREAT job brother! :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

23. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

Here's a couple of photos:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I will be lubing everything before I cut anything tomorrow. Especially the router head and shaft -- any hints on what to use? Do the stepper motors need anything? I am running a 120mm fan blowing on the hard-working X-axis motor, by the way.

24. kram242

Nice pics Neil
    I use a little silicone spray on mine but I
    I found this about flex shaft maintenance from Dremel
    Mark and Trish

25. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Member

I have some wheel bearing grease, actually. Is the cable on the Chicago Tools router able to be disassembled? I was thinking of using chainsaw bar oil, which could just be poured/dribbled in the end of the cable.

I'll oil the bushings on the pressure rods with the oil I use on my slot car oil-lite bushings. I forget what the X-axis rollers are in -- do they need oil, too?