1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Christmas Mailbox Plaque

Discussion in 'Christmas' started by Flashsolutions, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Mark posted a Christmas Mailbox SU file on the DVD sent with the Phlatprinter .

I extracted one element from it and made a sign to put on the side of my mailbox.

I converted it to STL format and had Meshcam render it for 3/4" Solid Blue Foam.

EDIT - Dec 16th. Replaced CNC file with one that is oriented along the Y axis. Added second version which was set to also cut along the Y axis. I have not run it yet. Attached files [​IMG] ChristmasMail_Y.cnc (3.6 MB)Â ChristmasMail_YY.cnc (3.1 MB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice job Larry! This will make for a nice carving
    Thanks for sharing
    Mark and Trish

3. kram242

Ok so looking closer at this code I think there are a few errors in the tool path. I rotated the code 90 degrees so that I am not running long runs on the x and take the chance of missing steps and ran the code with the only foam thickness I have at the moment which is the 5/8's green guard.
    To do this go to (Program > Rotate XY >90 This will rotate the tool path 90 degrees) then (Program > Shift > Extents to Zero This moves the tool path origin to zero) and (Program > User > set your Z value to -.377 this will set the top of the path to zero which moves the tool path into the material where is should be instead of above it. Depending on the thickness of the path in this case the first pass is completely flat)
    I would have just uploaded the code but for some reason cnc usb does not save the new changes made to the code when you save it to tool path. We will have to ask about this.
    Everything seemed to be going fine until it reached the second pass of the run.
    It seems to be doing a roughing with a secondary 90 degree finishing tool path operation but the first path is causing the end of the runs to stop and move the z up and down as if it were carving 3D in place then continues almost as if all the z data is saved until the end of the y runs on both ends. When this happens this throws up a red feed rate error in cncusb as shown in the picture below. I have never seen this box light up red in the cnc usb software so I am not sure what that means.
    If you have any scrape foam around you may try and run this and see what happens. Attached files [​IMG]

4. Flashsolutions

I posted a new file aligned along the Y axis with the finish cut set to cut along the Y.

I have been cutting it for about 45 minutes now and so far everything is working just great!

I should have some pictures to post a later on today.

The cut paths were generated with Meshcam by the way...

5. Flashsolutions

Okay, here is the finished product....

The Y axis finish cuts did not seem to produce great results as it looks like the Z axis was off on height across some of the areas.

I should mention that I used a ballnose 1/8" bit on this. In hindsight, I think I should have used the standard foam bit for the rough and finish passes and then used the ballnose for the pencil outlining.

My stepper motors were pretty hot after all this cutting. Not so hot you can't touch, but hot nonetheless.

I used the 801 release version of the USB software, not the beta. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kram242

That looks great Flash! I thought there may be a roughing tool path in there :) the pencil line clean up in mesh cam would help with the jagged edges but it looks fantastic none the less!
    Mark and Trish

7. Flashsolutions

Here is the final rendition on the mailbox

Attached files [​IMG]

8. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Holy cow that's a lot of numbers in your street address.... :)
    And where's the white stuff on the ground?

Looks great Flash.

9. Flashsolutions

Oh my! I hope Santa can find me! It is 71 outside right now. Maybe the mail lady will bring me some snow :lol: