1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Chuck Key Extension

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by johnbernard36, Dec 1, 2010.

1. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

For folks with big hands, or just wanting an easier way to change bits, here is a quick tool to help loosen and tighten the chuck.

Use any 1/4" hex bit handle and drill it out for a tight fit for the chuck key. Grind off the chuck key "handle" so you can remove it from the chuck key, and insert it into the handle. I drilled mine for a through screw and bolt (4-40) to make sure it didnt twist when losening or tightening.

Hope this helps.

John Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Great idea!
    I can see myself putting this to good use for sure.
    Thanks!

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Man that is a good idea. I was gonna post something here to see if anyone had a better way to get the chuck in there. I did grind down the crimp on the rod so I could take it out and at least get it semi tight by just finger tightening the check with the stub of the key, and then put the rod back in for the final tightening... But I know over time that rod will disappear, and it is a bit clumsy to use. I'll have to make one of these. Thanks for posting.

4. Norlas

Norlas New Member

Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I will get one made up ASAP.

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Well I made mine tonight. I stopped off at the local hardware store on the way to pick up my daughter from swim practice, and picked up the only 1/4" driver they had. Here the shaft was the same size as the chuck, so I couldn't drill through past the driver part. I was thinking of taking it to work and having one of the guys weld it on. But I decided to try and solder it on. What's the worst that can happen?

Boy was I pleasantly surprised. Worked like a Charm. I just scuffed up the chuck, and cleaned it and the drilled out nut driver with denatured alcohol. Used general purpose flux and solid core solder with a torch. Sure it's on there for good, but I can't see wanting to use it the old way....ever.
    THANKS again for such a simple, but great idea. Attached files [​IMG]

6. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

And John doesn't even own a Phatprinter.... Way to go John. Thanks for all your help!

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This is an awesome idea! Thank you to John and Larry for sharing this.
    I have to make one of these :)
    Mark and Trish

8. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I was over M&T house the other day and I saw that Mark had Two chuck keys sitting on his bench. I took one and told mark that I had a extra driver laying around and would make Him A chuck driver.

Before I coud give it to Mark I completed my MK/// build. I thought I had another driver laying around but, I could not find it. What I did find was a 3" Threaded lamp pipe 1/4" ID. I took A file to the handle of the chuck and removed the handle. Drilled both ends of the threaded lamp pipe. You might want to file a flat spot first to get the drill started. Bolted the driver in one end. Slipped the handle to the other and added a dab of hot glue.

The nice thing is it's not to big and I think you could even go with a shorter one.

Cheers
    Glen Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:dance3:
    Glen you rock! Thanks brother I love it!
    Mark and Trish

10. Starman

Starman New Member

After messing with bit changes today, I discovered a need for this tool.
    Thanks for the ideas.
    David