1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Converting your Sketchup plan to PDF video tutorial

Discussion in 'Sketchup Tutorials' started by 3DMON, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

PDF editing software would be my first thoughts, also. The problem is finding free software, especially for the MAC. I am sure open office would work. But maybe, once again, MAC to the rescue:
    http://www.lps.org/post/detail.cfm?id=2062

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice find Kwok. Thanks.

4. 1fatdog

1fatdog New Member

i downloaded cute pdf and go to the print menu and i am getting an error sayin printer is not activated. what did i or am i doin wrong?

5. 3DMON

I'm not sure. After you installed Cutepdf, it should be there.
    Are you saying if you go to print anything like you normally would the there is no option to choose cutepdf, or is the option there but when you go to print using it it tells you it's not activated?

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I was reading rcgroups a few days ago and someone found some new free programs. Looks like we have a real good solution now, that takes care of the unwanted borders and blank pages. Basically, print a single sheet full size pdf from sketchup. If it wasn't setup right them use the Cropper program to crop away the empty space. Then use the tile program to tile the pdf. Even has the option to add the registration marks and an overview sheet of how the tiles are layed out. I started a mini-tutorial thread at the rcgroups CAD/CAM section, with many pictures: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... p=14468022 I am using the surfer dude plans as demo, since that's what I wrestled with when I tried out 3DMON's tutorial. And I think, I really got it figured out now.

-Kwok

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice find Kwok and really nice tutorial write up for this as well.
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

8. 3DMON

I played with both the cropper and the tiler a couple of days ago to see how they work. I'm having problems with the cropper not cropping all the white space, but the tiler looks very promising, especially with the registration marks.

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

3DMON, you are right. I just tried the cropper program with like a 51" square sheet instead of a 41" square sheet. The same surfer dude plans and it hardly took any off. Way less than an inch. It should have taken it down to ~41". Looks like you still have to do your cropping in sketchup. But I think, I got that part figured out. Zoom in as close as you can, and don't keep "Use model extents" checked. You still have to click it to get 1:1 or whatever(get the full sheet size maybe), but click it back off. And enter very close to what the full size sheet dimensions are into cutepdf custom page size.

-Kwok

10. 3DMON

Yes,
    This is what Dave Reap showed in his video tutorial. Basically Sketchup is going to print how you see it on the screen. Using the tiler after this would give very nice pdf plans for people to print.

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I figured out the cropping thing and also found another program that will crop. Both the crop programs work. I've updated that rcgroups thread. Basically, anything viewable on the sketchup screen, at the time you print, can't be cropped away. Even the blank space, is someting physical in the pdf. -Kwok

12. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I have a "round-about" way of eliminating all outer white space. It may sound like a long process but I can go from SU to PDF plans in just a couple minutes.

I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro but the same process should apply to Photoshop, Gimp, etc.

1) After parts are laid/lain? out, (nested) in SU, "zoom extents" and export as a JPG image.

2) Open image in PSP. Use the "magic wand" selection tool and click on any white space outside of your pieces. Go to "Selections" menu and choose "Invert" or "Invert selection". Now go to "Edit" menu and "Copy". Then "Edit" --> "Paste" --> "Paste as new Image". Now save your image again in JPG format.

3) Now use RESCALEandTILE, since it will accept JPG format as well as PDF, to scale your plans to desired size and it will output you a full size and a tiled version of your plans in PDF format with the least white space possible.

RESCALEandTILE
    is a free Java script that can be had by contacting Bill Segraves aka "segraves
    " on RCG.

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

7up, nothing wrong with your method. But, I suspect you lose alot of quality from scaling up an image. Another note, the "Govert pdf tools", you can simply be downloaded. They can rescale and tile, too. And if you don't crop, I don't think you need anything besides .net.

Well, I got more to figure out about pdf cropping and sketchup. philba @ rcgroups, saids he can still crop even if he zooms out his sketchup window. Which is something, I can't do. Wonder if there is some texture or hidden watermark in my template?

-Kwok

14. kram242

I know its probably been mentioned here before but you can output scale pdf (from what I understand) through layout
    Problem is, I think its only in the pro version
    Mark

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, that's interesting to know. Looks like it can output vector pdfs, too, which is the solution to the cropping problems I have been having. Derfy @ rcgroups, came up with the idea that sketchup print to pdf was outputing a raster image and you can't crop more than the original image. I tried it with a vector format pdf from sketchup pro and there was zero white space left around a test square. Cool, problem solved! :) -Kwok

Attached files [​IMG]

16. kram242

Good to hear Kwok,
    I thought I remembered in the older version of Sketchup downloads they included a free version of Layout as well?
    Mark

17. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I have some great news. Free version of sketchup can print out in vector format! :mrgreen: Here is my quote from my rcgroups thread:

18. kram242

Nice one Kwok! That is a super easy solution!
    Great Job!
    Mark

19. tadas25

tadas25 New Member

Hi All, its my first post here.

I have a question about tiled pdf output. I'm using MAC, and I know that button "save as PDF". But I dont know how to save it 1:1 scale (tiled). There is no option for that.
    Can some one who using mac share the way to save tiled PDF's ?

thanx guys !

20. kram242

Welcome to the Phlatforum :)
    I just read about this yesterday on the MAC, and looked for it this morning but could not find it. But basically they were saying that with a mac you could print this to a PDF as for the scaling they did get into it but I did not read through it.Sorry I'm not more help here. If I find it again I will post about it here, but maybe one of the other guys know how this is done.
    Mark

21. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

22. tadas25

tadas25 New Member

hey, thanx for help.
    kyyu - thanx for the link. Now I need to know how to save 1:1 scale only :)

23. rescue911

rescue911 Active Member

I have Adobe reader x.When I finished the tutorial I tried it.Did not work.
    When I clicked on the print button,the Adobe reader would not respond.

24. kram242

Gary you had posted in the chat after this that you got it working. Can you please post what the problem was so we can learn from it?
    Thanks bro :good:
    Mark and Trish