1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Crash's MKII Build Log

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII BUILD LOGS' started by Crash, Jun 22, 2009.

1. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

It occurred to me that the major advantage of the screw type European connectors (included with the kit) over the Molex ones might be accessibility of using a probe to get voltage/amp readings off the screws.

Other than that, I like your molex suggestion a lot, I've even wired my field e-flight box with them so that I can split power easily to different lipo chargers!

But, I've got my hotwire bow and PSU all done up with the screw terminal connectors so thtat I can pull current with the meter when I need to (That setup is AC).

CHEERS!

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

The MPJA stepper will work with the hobbycnc card but will have a reduced holding torque. Look at the data link on the page of the stepper. The spec will tell you the torque in unipolar and how to wire it.

3. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Tiger is correct. The Vexta motors that MPJA sells can be wired Unipolar (at only 127 oz-in torque and with a max current of 2 amps) or Bipolar (166 oz-in torque at a max current of 1.4 amps).

I have actually been thinking of trying about getting that HobbyCNC board kit, as I can solder fairly well, and can follow directions with the best of them. :D However, for only $40 - 50 more, the Easy-CNC card really offers some great value in that it works very well, no assembly is required, it's VERY easy to set up, and (best of all) the only thing that can go bad is the IC and they're inexpensive and easily replaced.

4. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I started out with the easycnc set up. I am an idiot when it comes to computers. My Y and Z axis were moving a little more in one direction. IE the bit would go deeper and deeper into the foam during a cut, until it would be cutting during the rapid moves between parts. After about a 5 minute cut the Y axis would be about 1/2'' off as well. I tried every suggestion from the Phlat bros, and the guys on the Mach3 support forum as well. I finally decided to try a different board. Hobbycnc had thier 3axis stepper combo on sale for $159 so I got that. I was a little intimidated by the soldering at first, so I read up on soldering pc boards and watched a few tutorials, and went ahead with the soldering myself.

The hobbycnc board works perfectly. It comes with some nice stepper motors, and a parallel port cable(no power supply). You will need a power supply that can deliver 12-36v and at least 6.5 amps, I am using a 24v 6.5 amp. 4 wire bipolar motors are not usable.

The easycnc board is a beautiful piece of work. My cpu or my cpu skills just aren't up to running it ( probably the skills ).

I will be a return customer with hobbycnc.

Jeff

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Both the easycnc and the MPJA vextra stepper have 6 wires, so they are wired up just the same for uni or bipolar. The 2 extra wires from the easycnc steppers have just been cut back and heat shrunk, so not noticeable. The two extra wires are the center taps of the two coils. Don't quote me on this but my understanding is, as the name implies, bipolar can switch the current in both directions. But this takes more components. For example you would need 1 transistor to turn on a brushed motor, but I think a bridge of 4 transistors to get reverse. My guess is you need half as many for uni ,which just switch the ends of the coils on/off. The center in the unipolar coil is always connected, so basically it can only power half the coil at any given time. That's why you get less torqued using unipolar.

-Kwok

6. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Oh! that would be really cool if you start stocking them Mark.... I'm assuming you've got a supplier where you can get close to the price on them. To be honest, I'll probably hang fire until you have them in. I can't really afford them right now and they're one of those things it would be nice to have, but not urgently.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

From what I've read, the story is this. A unipolar board uses one coil to go CW and one coil to go CCW. Less complicated electronic, like Kwok said. A bipolar board uses both coils to go CW or CCW, it just changes the polarity (like you do with dc motors). Obviously, one coil has less torque than two coils together.

8. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

I have 4 of the Vexta steppers now, and I will tell ya. They work very very well with the easycnc board.

At the end of the day though, I find blucor needs to cut at a much lower feedrate in order to get good bite for the bit. I can run at 200-300 feedrate all day long, but the blucor has alot of mess left over that needs to be sanded off the edges of the cuts. I typically do a full sheet at 3.07 minutes per gcode @ 200 feedrate. I slowed down to 100 feedrate and I have laser cut edges now, no mess at all. Take an additional 3 minutes per sheet but well worth the wait to get the smooth consistent edges. Depron I can cut smooth all day long at 200 feedrate and even higher, but the blucor seems more brittle.

9. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

I had a similar problem a while back when cutting foam on a 8x6 overhead gantry machine. On some of the code I fed it, I was getting rough edges on some of the cut, especially on the fff. After a bit of mucking around, I realized that the problem for me was that some of the paths were running counter-clockwise so the bit was turning in the wrong direction relative to the motion of the gantry. The software I was using allowed me to reverse the path movement and the result was a very clean cut on all the pieces once I realized the problem. I don't know if the phlatcode pathing is hard coded or if you can selectively reverse the path directions or not since I am not yet in the full phlatclub to test this out. YMMV.

10. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

That is a very interesting situation you highlight Toxic. Mark I wonder is this possibly the case on some of the cuts I do. I do get a similar situation. Some scripts I run cut perfect everytime, others seem to leave rough edges. Even with a feed adjust I still get this. Its not as bad now that I have all 3 on Vexta motors. But It still happens once in awhile. Is it possible that the phlatscript is running paths against the bit counter-clockwise on some G-code creations ?

-Peter

11. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

The PhlatScript is designed to take into account whether the path should be CW or CCW. If you start with a file where every entity has a blue "face", and you correctly choose the "INSIDE" cut tool and "OUTSIDE" cut tool where appropriate, your rough edge will always be on the scrap side of your parts.

At least that's how I've observed the script working for my files...