1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Creating Flange

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by drpeej, Mar 6, 2016.

1. drpeej

drpeej New Member

I am a complete novice with SketchUcam and would appreciate some advice. I have looked at the tuition videos but cannot see how to achieve what I want.

I want to create a cylinder with a flange. I have uploaded a sketchup drawing that shows the sort of thing I want to achieve. This is NOT to scale and is purely to give a 3D representation of the basic shape.

I have created 2 circles but what I want to do is route out the area between the inner and outer circles to leave a small flange. I could use a large end mill but I wonder if there is a way I can do a multiple milling of the area. The pocketing tool doesn't seem to do this.

If this is achievable, can someone suggest the basic process I should follow

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

Hi
    Firstly, your units are set to meters, so I reset them to mm, SketchUcam has not been tested with any units other than mm and decimal inches.

So, your drawing showed an object some 2.5 meters in diameter so I scaled it down to 1/10 the size. Yes, SketchUcam can generate code for such a large object, but for this demonstration a smaller thing is easier to deal with

The scaled object is 47mm thick, and the depth to the flange is 39mm.

I created a copy of the object and used the 'phlatten' tool on it to have a perfectly flat 'plan view' of the object.
    I opened the parameters dialog and set the tool to 6mm and the material thickness to 39mm.
    Next, I used the offset tool to create lines offset from the outside of the flange, and the inside edge, each offset 3mm (half the bit).
    Next I created 4.5mm offset lines, starting at the outer line, until the area is filled. 4.5mm is 75% of 6mm. A reasonable offset in wood.

Now I selected the 'centerline cut' tool, set the depth to 100%, and ticked each of the offset lines in turn, starting at the outside.
    Generated gcode and we are good to cut the flange.
    To cut the outside we would need an extra copy of the drawing, material set to 47mm, and an outside cut applied to it, generate Gcode, and use the joiner tool to join the files together to cut as one.

Note that one could set the XY zero before generating Gcode, say to the center of the circles, to make it easier to set XY zero for the part.

I do a similar process in the video below, which also explains doing multipart drawings/cuts

Attached Files:

3. drpeej

drpeej New Member

Thanks, I did explain it's not to scale but was just to illustrate the sort of thing I was trying to achieve!!

I usually set the scale to mm manually each time I use Sketchup but I have just discovered how to set the default to open in mm.

I will try what you say - thanks

4. drpeej

drpeej New Member

That video is interesting but there is something very strange with the sound. It is very muffled with regular squarks.

5. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

yes, I know, I say so in the comments. My laptop had a problem with the microphone and I have not found a way to redo it, yet.
    Also, the free video editor from Microsoft sucks, but that it all I have, so far.