1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Design a Phlat Foam Coin Sorter

Discussion in '* Contests * Win Cool Stuff!' started by theothers, Jun 9, 2010.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

We tend to accumulate a lot of change as we're sure most of you do as well. Wouldn't it be nice to have a better idea of your coin mixture? That way, you'll know if you are racking up some serious cash or just collecting too many pennies off the side walk. Well, we would and we thought, hey why not have a contest?
    The idea is to design a Phlat foam coin sorter which will automatically place the pennies with the pennies, the nickels with the nickels, etc.
    We will cut out and build the Phlat Coin Sorter entries on the weekly Wednesday Night Phlatboyz LIVE show on June 16, 2009.

Rulez:
    - Entries must include the Sketchup file and the Phlat Code file.
    - The design must assume fan fold foam will be the material and an 1/8" bit will be used.
    - No motors can be used.
    - Entries must be received by 7:00 pm EST on Wednesday June 16, 2009.
    - In order to be considered a winner, the Phlat Foam Coin Bank must be able to determine and sort each denomination of coin (penny, nickel, dime, and quarter).
    - All parts must fit on one sheet of fan fold foam
    - You can drop the coins one by one or by the handful
    - Tab and slot is required

Upload your entries here in this thread.

The Sketchup files and the Phlat Code files will be made available for public use (not to be resold without designers permission). Contest is void where prohibited.

If there is more than one winning entry, all winners names placed in a Phlatboyz hat and the winner will be randomly drawn LIVE on next week's show.

THE PRIZE: The first Phlatboyz Micro Flying Surfer Dude Kit complete with foam cut outs, sticker package, and carbon support rods and battery! .

[​IMG]

Thanks guyz. Be creative and have fun!

Mark and Trish

THE SHOW

[pre] <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="480" height="320" id="utv745890" name="utv_n_5708"><param name="flashvars" value="autoplay=false" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/video/7552985" /><embed flashvars="autoplay=false" width="320" height="260" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv745890" name="utv_n_5708" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/video/7552985" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object> [/pre]

2. theothers

Updated the rulez with the following:

- All parts must fit on one sheet of fan fold foam
    - You can drop the coins one by one or by the handful
    - Tab and slot is required

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Here is the example code we did in the show to get your creative juices flowing.
    Have fun! We can't wait to see what you guys come up with for your coin bank sorters :)
    Mark and Trish

Attached files CoinBank.cnc (54.9 KB)Â [​IMG] CoinBank.skp (708.5 KB)Â

4. swim93

swim93 New Member

dumb question... how do you win?

5. theothers

swim93

If there is more than one winning entry, all winners names placed in a Phlatboyz hat and the winner will be randomly drawn LIVE on next week's show.

Hope this helps!

Mark and Trish

6. kram242

Where are you boyz? This is an easy one :D Let's see some ideas for this one!
    You guys will love the micro surfer dude!
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

7. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I'm workin' on it...

8. rcflyboynj

rcflyboynj Member

mine should be in by tomorrow... If I can figure out how to use the tab and slot plugin.....

9. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Sharing my idea because I enjoy watching these machines work. Plus I won't be able to finish mine.

Since I'm a numismatist I've made sorters and separators before for fun and $, just not from foam, or un-powered.
    Here is a plinko version using that principal along with a sizing filter next to the fulcrums. It's the quick 'will it work' sketch work up of what I was going to enter. Of course there are a lot of stops and guides missing, but the principal is there.

A powered separator.

My pp is still in pieces, but what is together (everything mechanical) is solid and smooth as glass. I did the full bushing package with a zero backlash on the Z. Also did the full internal Y belt mod with top and bottom bearings on the turn around while still keeping full travel. Limit switches Y and Z (I was there anyways) and I'm loaded with lighting. Including high intensity blue that comes up and focuses on the bit. Very cool look. What I don't have is my channel materiel for the sliding guides. Any ideas? Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kram242

Cool guys glad to see your in the contest, its going to be fun to try these out and see how well they work.
    66tbird that looks incredible! I love machines like this :)
    Looking forward to seeing all the mods you have done to your Phlatprinter.
    Mark and Trish

11. 7up

Well I waited til' the last minute and tried to rush it. :roll:

While working on this I didn't realize how big it was gonna turn out until I started nesting parts. It takes 2 sheets and it's too late for me to change it now so I'm gonna post it just for good measure.

Don't include it in the contest as it goes against the rules. Just posting in case of no more entries, it might give you something to cut on the show.

I doubt it will work right and I didn't have time to test it but here it is in all its glory. Attached files 7up Coin sorter-1.cnc (42.1 KB)Â [​IMG] 7up Coin sorter-2.cnc (27.4 KB)Â [​IMG] 7up Coin sorter.skp (757.4 KB)Â

12. theothers

Thanks for the entry 7up. We are going to build it on tonights show. Sure hope you can tune in.

Mark and Trish

13. rcflyboynj

rcflyboynj Member

I would've finished mine, it had holes in the bottom where you could take the coins out like the change dispensers they use at Sonic. I just got too busy with Driver's ED.....

If we have another week I might be able to finish it......

14. theothers

Thanks for trying rcflyboynj. We'll catch you on the next contest :D

15. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Seeing how few entries got made I'm sorry I didn't post anything, but I felt that since I've gotten a prize in the last two contests that I shouldn't enter this one (I think it was the last two at least).
    I'll certainly make sure I get an entry into the next contest.

16. 66tbird

17. theothers

Hey guyz. Thank you for joining the contest. Your designs were great! It made for a Phun Phlatboyz live show!

Here are the finished products:

7up and 66tbird, you both have Micro Flying Surfer Dudes coming your way as soon as we release the kit! Attached files [​IMG]

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I decided to give this coin sorting a try. This way works pretty good. :cool: It needs to be not too steep, otherwise the coins roll to fast. And the wall need to be tilted outwards slightly so the coins stay against it. I didn't have any dimes. So it only sorts the other 3.

Attached files Coin Sorting.wmv (1.8 MB)Â

19. theothers

Wow Kwok! So simple and it works great! Amazing. Great job.

20. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I think Kwok's design took the cake. How come I didn't think of it??? :oops:

21. kram242

Kwok! That works great :) Where were you? You could have won this one! :D
    Now all you have to do is incorporate that into a design that allows you to dump all you change in it
    Nice job Kwok
    Mark and Trish

22. 7up

Blahahaha! :lol: Kwok, that is simply brilliant!

That would have worked perfect in my design. Wish I would thought of it.

23. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I was thinking about it, but didn't have a good design for the part where the coins feed nicely into the sorter. Do you guys think the contest times are too short? I was thinking it would have been better to have 2 weeks for this contest.

24. 66tbird

I also ran down the same idea path as kwok, and hit the same road block, till this very moment :p . I'll brain storm that and if it works I'll post it. The plug-ins kwok gave us sure took the work out su designing imo. Makes putting things into su then code so simple. And the gcode generator, wow, no more grouping :D

As far as a two week design time I'm on the fence there. If a project is a simple proof of concept then a single week should be fine. If a more elaborate design which also maybe cosmetically more intensive then a two week time frame would help.

25. theothers

Great feedback guyz. We will keep these timeframes in mind.