1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Doubled speed on Y-axis

Discussion in 'MOTORS - Stepper Motors' started by janbjorn, Feb 24, 2009.

1. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Yesterday evening I did some surgery on my Phlatprinter and exchanged the Y-axis stepper. It has 1.85Nm torque (about 260oz in I think) Got a good deal from a local dealer (http://butik.brundin.biz/product_info.php?products_id=3) here in sweden and got three of these for about $125 shipped.

I didn't bring a camera yesterday so I don't have any pictures yet, but that will come later. However, the speed of the new motor was astonishing. I'm still using the 1/4 all thread and with the new motor I increased the speed from 400mm/min to 850mm/min :shock: That is more than double the original speed! Now I can run it with a bit of safety margin instead of pushing it to the limit all the time!

I really recommend upgrading the Y-stepper!

/Jan

PS. Some ACME threaded rods are coming this way in a while and then there will be some serious speed!

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

You guys in Swenden get the best deals! :)
    Thats great news janbjorn thanks for sharing and I look forward to the videos.
    Mark

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yep, all I did was switch to Acme thread and used a new nut for the Y and got a little over 3x the speed, and this is with the stock steppers. Your should really fly... maybe not MKII speeds, but it should be quick.
    Thread here : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=354

4. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Well, fortunately I haven't ordered the ACME rods yet and with the news about the MKII I might just convert it to belt drive instead...