1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Dyeing Depron and Plastic and Jam Jar Jet - 6/2/10

Discussion in 'PhlatLAB LIVE shows' started by theothers, Jun 4, 2010.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

This week we tested different methods for dyeing Derpon Foam and Phlatformed Plastic using Rit clothing dye. We also attempted to build a Jam Jar Jet. We were able to interact better this week than most others as we figured out how to expand and enlarge the chat screen which allowed us to apply some of the ideas everyone watching had. It was a lot of fun!

Here is a pdf for making a Jam Jar Jet, if you are interested. If you do attempt it, be very careful.

[pre] <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="480" height="386" id="utv360648" name="utv_n_212277"><param name="flashvars" value="loc=%2F&autoplay=false&vid=7403776&locale=en_US" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/video/7403776" /><embed flashvars="loc=%2F&autoplay=false&vid=7403776&locale=en_US" width="480" height="386" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" id="utv360648" name="utv_n_212277" src="http://www.ustream.tv/flash/video/7403776" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object> [/pre] Attached files JAMJARJET.pdf (1.8 MB)Â

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Cool show!

I know nothing about dyeing Derpon but RC truck guys, me included, have used the Rit's dye for years to dye plastics parts. We buy the white plastic rims and dye them to our liking.

The best method is to add the dye to a small pot filled with water suitable for the parts to be dyed to be fully submerged. Bring the water/dye to a boil and add your parts. Boil 10-15 minutes or until desired color is reached. This will also tint chrome parts, which really looks cool, especially yellow dyed chrome, it looks just like gold.

I missed the live show or I would have shared this info had I been there.

I'm not sure if the plastic sheets you guys use can withstand a boiling bath or not but it's a good method for thicker plastics.

-Buk

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hi Buk thank you for the info. I wanted to try just that boil the water then add the dye and foam and see what happens. It may have worked.
    Thanks again
    Mark and Trish