1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

ECM Linux mini how to

Discussion in 'EMC' started by tvcasualty, Dec 8, 2008.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Kwok, which version did you use? 6.xx or 8.xx?

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I've installed both versions, before. Started with v6 but then switched to v8 because it had a higher version of firefox. Just for internet security reason. Both versions worked for me. I didn't actually run the phlatprinter with it, but I think I did successfully run a stepper motor by itself. That was a long time ago, so hard to remember. I just wanted to make sure, I had a alternative to Mach3, and decide later. So I made sure I could install it, and was also able to load cnc files and simulate cutting. During the brief testing, I probably had it running with 3 different video cards. This was during the time, I was putting a pc together for the PP. One was a P3 and the other was a P4.

-Kwok

3. TigerPilot

I have a computer which I wanted to upgrade with more ram. I couldn't because it's too old and the new rams are a different format and don't fit on the mother board. I bought a new mother board with a new processor and 2gig memory.

I tried to install on the new computer, as in the posts above, v8.04 and I had problem with probably the video card. I tried v6.06 and while it run from the cd, I had problem installing it. So I took all the disks to the cnc computer which uses the old mother board with a 40gig hard drive and v8.04 run and installed with no problem. I give up. I have no idea why with the old equipment it is OK and with the newer no.

Now I have to figure out how to get ubuntu to recognize my usb stick. :( Then I'll have to figure out how I want the computer to be mounted next to my machine and I'll be ready for the test run.

4. TigerPilot

Couldn't find /media/usbdisk in v8.04 and don't get to see my usb stick.

5. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

If the live CD works, the install should go fine. The problems again may be with that RTI kernel. As far as partitioning goes, you need to use the manual mode, not the auto. Not sure why it would let you format, but not change partitions. Is there a problem with your disk drive? Do you have another (cheap) video card to try?

At some point it may be more economical to buy software over compatible hardware? :|

6. TigerPilot

Well, tvcasualty, my mother board quit on me. I'm in the process of buying a new one. Once I have the new one installed I'll see how it goes with this ubuntu.

When I run ubuntu 6.xx form the disk I had the usb stick showing. When I installed v8.04 it didn't show the usb PORT.

7. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

I have a prob with the z axis, when I try to run code I get "Program exceeds machine minimum on axis z" doesnt seem to be the gcode itself, I tried with many different file. I double checked all the figures in the step wizard and are the same as u gave above.

Gettin frustrated here, any help appreciated.

8. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Try changing the limits on the table area for the z axis in the config. Make them go from -0.125 to 1.875 (or similar).

Reference:
    Does that help?

9. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

Its working now! Yes I started with the neg #'s, then tried pos, neither worked. Having nothing to lose I started lowering the min on the x axis, when I got to -0.500 it started working, have no clue why. Need to run some foam thru now and give it a real test.

Thanks so much for this tutorial dude, I prob would not have tried emc2 at all if I hadnt seen this thread. U saved me a bundle since I would have had to buy another copy of windows as well as mach3 :D

Thanks for turning me on to ubuntu as well, I have a retail copy of redhat, had nothing but trouble with it and the onboard lan on the mobo.

Ubuntu was the most simple install ive ever done, nice

10. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

No problem, I'm glad to read that you've got it working! :D