1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Edge color in all styles forced to "by material" on save.

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by CMH, Jan 28, 2015.

1. CMH

CMH New Member

With SketchUcam plugin active, the edge color in all styles reverts to "By material" when saving a drawing or opening a new one, regardless of default style settings, or template defaults. It is easily changed under the edit tab of whatever style is currently being used but it is only temporary. This is inconvenient and annoying especially when the auto-save feature is being used and all the edges "disappear" while working on the model. This is true even when not using SketchUp for CNC operations. The plugin just has to be enabled. Is there a fix for this or is this requisite for the plugin to work? Or do I just have to disable the plugin unless I want to use it?

Using SU2015 pro, SketchUcam 1.2a

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

first, reinstall Sketchucam and restart sketchup, just in case some file is corrupt
    second, disable all other plugins leaving only sketchucam enabled, restart sketchup, does it still do it?

3. CMH

CMH New Member

In troubleshooting and isolating the behavior I did both of those steps, the issue still exists. I also realized in trying to reproduce the issue that the edges have to be colored. This is the case with me most often when I apply the material to a grouped set of geometry as a whole, meaning geometry is drawn, grouped together then a material is applied to the group so that the material affects both faces and edges, or selecting all of the geometry in a drawing and applying a material to the whole selection. In other words, it doesn't change the edge material, just the way they are viewed.

4. mack

mack New Member

I'm also having the same problem with the edge color in all styles changing to "By material". I'm using Sketchup Make 2016, v16.0.19912, 64bit on Windows 7, 64bit. I installed the "SketchUcam-1_4-22ee.rbz" as directed. Reinstalling as suggested as well.
    One file in particular opens with a small window with yellow exclamation triangle that says "Your recent operation has caused visible geometry to merge with existing geometry on a hidden layer." Clicking the "OK" button closes the small window but it reappears immediately. The only way I've found to clear this small window is to press the "ESC" button on the keyboard multiple times in a fast manner, then waiting a few seconds. Before it stops reappearing, I can see the drawing behind it with the correct edge color. As soon as the few seconds go by and the small window stops reappearing, the edges on the drawing change color. I have to change them back in the "Styles/edges/color" menu. Saving the file changes that setting back to "By material".
    All other files open without that small caution window and with the edge color setting changed to "By material".
    Hope this info helps with the bug hunting.

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

That caution means that you have a hidden layer. On the menu bar go to Windows/Default Tray and click on Layers. The tray will show and there you can see which layer does not have the visible option checked. Check it and the caution will not pop up again.

6. agfrag

agfrag New Member

Resurrecting old thread, unfortunately. Same thing as above, same steps taken as above, with no improvement. :(

7. swarfer

I have just been messing with my styles. Selecting 'woodworking style' reset all colors and my cutlines lost their nice orange distinction, and the reason is that Color is forced to 'all same'.

Then I did this:
    In the Styles tray, select Edit and then under Color select 'By material'.
    and the cutlines are restored to the correct colors.

So, if this is not happening for you it probably means you have set the material for those lines.
    What happens if you remove and replace the cutlines?

upload_2017-2-21_9-51-42.png

8. agfrag

agfrag New Member

swarfer, the problem I'm having is that I ...don't... want edges "By material", I want them "All the same", as in the op's issue.

Since I installed SketchuCam, no matter what I try, when I save a file, the edge changes to "By material". and when I save, the style illustration gets those circling arrows which indicates a change in the style which is not saved to the style.

I'm not blaming Sketchucam, it may be a coincidence, but I use Sketchup daily, and only observed this issue after my Sketchucam installation.

9. swarfer

Ok, but if you are using sketchucam then you need by material to see the difference between ordinary edges and cuts.

I will have to look in the code to see if there is anything actually setting this during save, can't do it on this iPad though....

10. agfrag

agfrag New Member

Thanks for the info swarfer, what you're saying makes sense from a sketchucam standpoint.

Just wish there was a way to go back and forth!

11. swarfer

I have had a look at the code and SketchUcam is indeed changing the edge color mode.
    In your Sketchup Plugins folder find the file Phlatscript.rb and open it in Notepad
    line 21 says
    Code:
      model.rendering_options["EdgeColorMode"] = Rendering_edge_color_mode

just add a '#' to the front of that line to turn it into a comment and the line edge colors will stay however you set them.

Now you can use the Styles pane to change it to what you want, when you want.

Please keep this info handy so that you can do this again next time you upgrade SketchUcam because the upgrade will overwrite your change.