1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Fuse length incorrect... X axis issue!!!

Discussion in 'Mach3' started by xtremeRCpilot, Oct 9, 2009.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

OK< Guys I really need your help, I am very frustrated with another recent issue and am totally confused as to what it could be. :? Again I am trying to design this planes for sale and this would make for an unhappy customer :) Once I get this plane in action ,tried and trued, you Phlatbrothers are more than welcome to the code file!!!
    So, Here is what is happening... I have recently designed an F3P mono wing plane and cut three separate files. Now what I have discovered is that in the x axis all my cuts seem to be enlarging exponentially to where this particular plane is 3/8" longer than the actual design. Also the tabs become offset from the vertical and horizontal fuse. Now the weird thing is they are not consistent and the vertical fuse is longer than the horizontal by 1/8" total. I am trying to rule out mechanical slipping because the fuse would then be theoretically shorter not longer, and I calibrated the axis and it appears to be dead on.. its as if something is making this adjustment for me without my knowledge.
    So do you think it could be an issue with the control board or within Mach3..... HMMmm!!
    I would be very grateful if someone has had this issue to come through before I waste anymore 3mm depron!! :p

Thanks in advance my Friends!!
    John Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I was having the same problem how I fixed it" I think" I boosted up the Acceleration on the Axis. Are you using vTabs Or T tabs? I wounder if that is causing Probs IDK what I was using hummm It seems to be ok now but I am not totally sure either.

I'm not kittin anything so Close is ok for me.

Cheers
    E-T

3. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks E-T, I am using t tabs set a 60% depth. Also close would be fine but this is way off. The funny thing is that both halves of the vertical fuse cut the same distance so Im pretty sure there is some formula of expo as it travels down the axis. I would like to try the acceleration but not sure how much to add!! Can you tell me your settings on the x axis when you get a chance!! Thank you again!! :cool:

John

4. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

pilot, take the set screw out of the x-axis pulley, and put in a small drill point on the shaft or take off and file a small flat on shaft...reinstall the set screw with a lil lock tite...i have had mine slip, and i got the same results your getting. after recalibrate. randy.

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a similar issue to what we talked about with your other file I PM'ed you about.

Did you ever do the tests I suggested?

I've been dealing with the same sort of problems, but I mainly see it when I use fanfold foam, when the cutting is done and the machine comes back to zero, the fff is sometimes about .500" away from the starting point.

Although when I put a piece of ply with tape around the side edges, it comes back to zero no problem.

This is a very frustrating issue and I'm sure you are dealing with the same sort of thing I am. I just hope we get this figured out.

6. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Randy, but I did put a flat on the spindle/shaft during the build and when I checked it today there was no play or slop, also slipping would cause the fuse to be shorter as the hesitation would make the cuts short, correct?

John

7. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Shaun, again wouldnt this be slippage and ultimately cause a shorter length of cut not longer? But no I have not done the test because I had the 1/16" bit in and wanted to do a cut of this new bird! :)

John
    Attached files [​IMG]

8. rjarois

9. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

The wild thing is Randy all my cuts end up at the same start and stop points and all corners are perfect bevels perfect so it would seem if this was slippage it would not be exact in both directions hence end points would be off slightly... HMMM!!!

10. rjarois

it seems to be the calibration then john....as far as i know, the x-axis is the same on both our machines, although i don't know this for a fact...i have my acceleration set to 20 on the value. do a calibration cut on some scrap foam, as big as you can measure accurately. then go into the motor tuning and adjust your steps. i quit letting the machine do the "calibration" by asking if you wanna accept this value. i have a set of 6in digital calipers i use to set-up calibrations. i hope you get it sorted out. randy.

11. Evil-Tunes

John I set my x ACC. to 300 and speed is 400 I think. I havent noticed a problem but not looking to hard either.

Here is the post I made talking about it viewtopic.php?f=126&t=1141

Cheers
    E-T

12. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Good idea Randy, Maybe this has been my problem the whole time but now I am just getting picky as not to waste my depron LOL I cant try this now because my kids are sleeping... But you know it will be fired up tomorrow!!

John

13. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes settings:
    • X axis:
      steps: 1034.890614
      velocity: 400.02
      acceleration: 201
      Y axis:
      steps: 923.0765188
      velocity: 400.02
      acceleration:210
      Z axis:
      Steps:437.1907338
      velocity: 301.92
      acceleration: 205
    When Mark and Trish were over the other day
    Mark was checking out my MKII he said in mach to go into settings screen "not tab" turn off the CV Distance and CV feed Rate so they are not lit.... I just did that but have not tried it yet

Cheers
    E-T

14. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks E-T... Wow your bringing back memories.. Mark discovered that when I was having problems back when I got mine running, it works awesome!!! Curves sound smooth!!

John

15. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

OK guys, I just re calibrated my x axes and found that over a 36" span it was running 7/16" or .4375 out of sync.... I re ran my test file and bamm, right on the money. I originally ran my calibration based on 15" span and it was around 1/16" off right after it was built. I checked for any mechanical issues via loose pully etc.. and found it to be very tight with no backlash of any sort. So, my question to you guys is, when calibrating and axes at any length shouldn't it be adjusting the recalibration exponentially? I dont know why it was so far out of sync. I will do another cut on a plane and see if this was the ticket. :cool:
    Thanks for all your input and to Randy for pointing out a few test procedures to get this right!! :D

John