1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Getting SketchUCam to produce complete text

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by Power House, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Power House

Power House New Member

I am unable to get a complete character out of sketchucam, that is, characters which have an enclosed portion.
    ie ... O P B o p b A a and the rest of the letters is have an enclosed portion.

The outside cutting tool seems to do fine with the perimeter of the letter.

Have tried many things, in many ways, but nothing.

Anyone desire to school the nube ?

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

you have to explode the text so it is just a bunch of lines, then add inside and outside cuts where you need them.

also, you may need to edit the lines a little before adding cut lines, some letters have overlapping lines that will confuse the outline generator.

3. Power House

Power House New Member

The only way I seem to be able to get anything like that to work is by creating a 3D TEXT tool, exploding it (knew that already), then going into the letter to select the individual surfaces which comprise the interior of the the particular letter. Then what I get in the plotted view is a tool path which is dropping into the piece in 10 different places just to complete the interior portion of the letter.

If I create 2D text, the inside cut tool basically just traces the inside of the perimeter of the outside of the letter. The enclosed portion is unseen, even when I select only the enclose portion, the application of the cut tool is still applied to the perimeter.

4. Power House

Power House New Member

I have watched that video, I do not recall anything related to text

5. swarfer

cutting text is a little specialized and not really part of making RC planes which was the focus of Michaels video which I list in my signature.
    I have just made a little video for you.

in summary, you need to create 2D text, explode it to get access to the lines, phlatten it to create faces, then you can add cut lines.

Please also read the SketchUcam help, click the blue question mark in the toolbar.

marcomartim and ewo like this.
  6. Power House

Power House New Member

WOW, I can't believe it is that easy. Guess I didn't try everything. Thanks for making that video, it is going to go a long way.

Even though I have seen the other video (a few times), it is something of a guru reference video.

:banger:

7. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Hi David
    What capture program are you using ? I'm using Fraps myself but my vid's aren't that smooth
    Thanks for the new training videos ... I already know how to do all this but they will surely help the newcomers

8. ewo

PS: Looks like SKP 7 ?

9. swarfer

I think it is called 'free screen to avi' or similar, it is on my office pc so I can make videos for the staff to answer the FAQ's.
    I'll send you the complete name tomorrow.

10. swarfer

sk8 - still the best (-:
    I do test Sketchucam on Sketchup 2014 and 2015, but I develop new code on SK8 since it uses an older version of Ruby, if it works there it works on the newer ones too.

11. Power House

Power House New Member

creating 3D images in general seem to be giving me a headache.
    also trying to just print out something as simple as a raised square (meaning carving around the square to leave a square raised above the material. i only seem to be able to get it to carve out the square (meaning it leaves a square hole).

is there any documentation around here anywhere ?

12. Power House

Power House New Member

I do believe I solved my problem. Adjusted inside/outside overcut. BAMM .... 3D

13. Power House

Power House New Member

ok, so perhaps I did not solve my issue.
    Can you possibly describe the process to create this in 3D. Size does not matter.

Attached Files:

14. ewo

Changing z axis from + to - should cure this issue.

15. ewo

Thanks David.......
    I have some Tut's But because of the hesitation's in my vids i feel there not really usable

16. swarfer

I'll have to do a video of my process tomorrow but basically that is not 3D
    (I look at 3D as things with curves in the Z direction, everything else is a collection of 2.5D cuts).

I will do that shape as 2 cuts, generated from 2 drawings in one sketchup file.
    the first one be a bunch of pockets that will cut away the stuff that is not the raised square.
    the second one will drill the hole , and cut the outline of the block, assuming the material is bigger than the result.
    then I will use the joiner tool to join the 2 gcode files together so they cut as one.

while the drawing may take a little longer, the Gcode will cut much faster than any 3D cut not generated by some very expensive software like SolidCAM.

also have a look at this old thread where I did a similar process for a multi-level part....
    http://www.phlatforum.com/xenforo/threads/generating-gcode-for-3d-object.3322/

(as for documentation..... there is the help (big blue question mark on toolbar), and then there is this forum where everything has been discussed at some point or another, and then there are a bunch of Youtube videos mentioned in the 'download' thread along with the install instructions, and now I am doing short videos to explain things as needed. to me the critical part is reading the help, you have to know what tools you have on hand before you can put them together to achieve what you want to do.)

17. ewo

Well . You do know best how to do it .
    But for me making a negative works OK i guess??

Now you have me wondering
    Looking forward to the clip !

18. Power House

Power House New Member

Swarfer. OK, Checked that out, seems to make perfect sense. thanks for the upload of the .skp

Trying that in a little bit

Thanks for taking the time. Looking forward to any and all video's.

19. Power House

Power House New Member

OK, I tried that solution, I can see how it would work if I were to just add the files in the correct order, that being the tool path with the great +Z, then adding the files accordingly with each sequentially less value of Z.

also downloaded the OpenSCAM, super nice. many thanks for the info on that.

20. swarfer

Here is a video to describe how I would do that object

I have chosen a material thickness of 20mm.
    The material size is 70x120mm and the object ends up being 50x100mm, mostly 10mm thick with a 10mm high rectangle on top, and a 10mm diameter hole.

This video nicely illustrates how one can easily get things in the wrong order, note that cut file 3 should be cut before cut file 2 since 2 cuts through the material and without tabs it will come loose before 3 can do its job.

marcomartim likes this.
  21. Power House

Power House New Member

Awesome video Dave, thank you so much. I was messing with it last night and this video answered a bunch of questions. Actually it answer all my questions.
    Those lines that remained (invisible until you hovered over) them were making me crazy. Also the fact that the Phlat won't carve out entire sections and you need to break them down (discovered that also - made me a little nutty too).

Thanks also for the info about the default configs on the OpenSCAM, Coulnd't figure out how to get SketUCAM to get rid of the excess that was remaining. OK, gonna go back and in and see how the new info works into things.

Thanks again for the creation of this video. I am sure it will help many.