1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Green Guard from Lowes

Discussion in 'Foam Talk' started by Jnida63, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Interesting...

I think I would gladly accept that awful ugly green color for the beautiful profile that stuff has! I was in Lowes today picking up a #569 1/16" Dremel bit and took the opportunity to peak in on the FFF. Still lots of PBIII in Waco, Texas and no sign of the Green wonderfulness...

2. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I feel compelled to add my 2 cents worth. Pink FFF is wavy and soft. If you don't mind the waves (which look downright crummy on a wing) then no big deal. Pink foam is soft and more flexible than either blue or green. I can get pink foam locally from Menards. I cannot find any Blue FFF locally. It seems stronger than the pink, but it is also too wavy to make a nice looking airplane. The waves also create problems when attempting to glue down a straight edge. The result is gaps that do not glue down. Green Guard from Lowe's is flat as a pancake. My beef with GG is that is has a tendency to "curl" and warps if you keep it around. Parts cut from GG will begin to curl up also. With the ton of printing on one side and the plastic to be removed on the other side (can't glue an airplane together with plastic that peels off) you must paint your project made from GG. Oh, there are dimples in the GG so when painted it looks like cardboard. GG is brittle. From where I sit, if you want to make a nice plane, you gotta go with Depron. There are problems there too, for me being a newbie, White depron sheets are not long enough to manage the projects available for the Phlatprinter. Black depron is available in 48" length. Depron is also quite expensive at $130 for 20 full size sheets (plus shipping). So...if Blue is wavy and hard to find and pink is wavy and green is ugly after painting, Depron seems the only choice to make a nice looking project. In the meantime, I will continue my search for some Blue.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm. Chuck are you trying the Owens Corning Pink FFF?

It is all that I can get locally so I have been using it for years and have never gotten a "wavy" sheet before, never. True I like the strength of the Blue better but the Pink is pretty strong and I certainly have had my share of crashes.

Just curious about your ping wavy Fff because what I have used is comparable to Depton regarding the flatness of it.

-Buk

4. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I dig through the stock of pink and blue (when I can find blue) for the bundle with the least waves. I cannot find any without waves. I wish I could luck out and find a supply as flat as Depron, that would be great! I think I agree that the pink is certainly strong enough but it is clearly more flexible. I tested both, made a YUK stand out of blue and one out of pink. The blue is much, much sturdier. All of it probably does not matter if you glue your project up well. The little Ultimate Bipe I just made from Lowe's GG is not very attractive when painted. I used acrylic paint and an airbrush. The plane is flys great but the upper and lower wing and the ailerons are all warped (maybe from the painting). I never had this trouble with the other foams or for certain with Depron. Again, Depron is pretty expensive by comparison. Guess I will just keep up the hunt.

Chuck

5. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I made it to Lowes this past weekend and picked up a bundle of Green Guard. No blue to be had around here. ;)

I haven't cut it yet but as it stands so far, I am impressed. Very flat and smooth and more flexible than OC Pink but $37 + tax for the GG vs $28 + tax for the OC may make a difference. I'll have to build something first in order to weigh the pros and cons.

6. Klondar

Klondar Member

Ok, I am frustrated with the waveyness of the last batch of blue I purchased and am interested in giving the Green Guard a try, But for now at least it seem not to be in the stores in my area. For those other Phlatheads in the S.E. Mich / Toledo area, Has anyone seen this in our neck of the woods yet?

-Glen

7. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I am about 30 mi S.W. of Toledo. As of about a month ago Defiance Oh. Lowes didn't have GG.

My next bundle of FF will be the OC pink stuff, from Menards.

Jeff

8. travisc

travisc Member

What is it about the depron making process that makes it so nice
    Why can't the us company's make a brand like it ?
    I know you can use celfoam from Midwest, but that is also expensive.