1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Guru's Lucky Yak

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by Lucky, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Hey Everyone,

Here is a sneak peek at Guru Aviation's Lucky Yak :D We are still in test mode with it, but so far it is flying awesome!! More pics and info to follow as we get done with testing!!

Chris"Lucky"Carnes Attached files [​IMG]

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

lucky, your model looks great man...those ailerons are huge!!! should be a 3-D monster for ya...randy.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice guys!, man I have to learn to paint like you.. That plane looks great!
    Mark

4. iflyos

iflyos Member

Brother, it looks even better in the sunlight!

Guys, this one has some neat features, most notably, it requires no carbon fiber bracing! Instead it features the innovative "Lucky Brakes" that not only strengthen the bird, but offer drag brakes at the same time, to keep your down-line speeds constant.

After Lucky is satisfied with the results of the stress tests, we hope to get this one and the GURU jet up for sale on our webstore.

We still want to test with a couple of different motors, but hope to have this done over the weekend. More details to follow!

Tim
    AG4RZ

5. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

That is really nice Chris. As mentioned those are big ailerons. Great control. Wish I could paint like that :x

6. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Way to go Chris, she looks awesome!!!

-Peter

7. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Thanks Guys,

They are some big aileron's, I like to roll :D ...Actually they are just right..like Tim said there are some unique speed brake/brace system on the plane, which you can not see in the pic, when testing is complete, I will show more pics. So far it is working, the plane slows way down and the down lines are slow..this was designed to be an indoor plane, and so far it has been awesome!!!!! More to come.....

Chris

8. rjarois

yea lucky, i know you like to roll.....i have watched your videos bud..... :D :D

9. meistertek

meistertek Member

Man that's a cool looking plane! How did you apply the skull, is it air brushed on?

10. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Thanks!!! It was airbrushed...I did the skull first, then painted around it.. it came out really good.

Chris

11. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Video coming very soon guys!!

Chris

12. Lucky

Lucky New Member

ok here is the video of the first test flight of the Guru Aviation's Lucky Yak...
    It was about 10mph winds, so the first little bit was trying to get it trimmed..but for a plane that was design for strickly indoors it handled it great..I drop a little secret...some already know...there is no carbon fiber on the plane :D More to come about the design and the new lucky brakes!
    Hope yall like
    Chris

13. rjarois

Lucky, very nice...love the knife edges...oh yea, i spotted your foam spar i think. :D with a ten mile a hour wind, looks to handly with no trobs. randy.

14. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Thanks Randy..it did fly very well in the wind :D I love knife edge :D Now that I have the rates in my transmitter the way I want, maybe next video will have some wing drag knife edges in it...Tim did tell me not kill it yet..lol!!! He is my ground control...but what he dont know wont hurt him..hehehe.. oh wait a minute he will see this..lol

hmmm spar...hmmmmm...close it has two functions actually. It work out really nice. Im waiting for Tim to fly his so I can get his feed back...before we show all. I want it to be right!!

Chris

15. kram242

Nice Chris! Now I have to learn the rolls, I see you guys do them and I just can't figure it out. John(xtremepilot) told me he uses a some to learn, it that what you did too?
    Really nice job guys that's one shape looking aircraft/flying. :)
    Mark

16. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Hey Mark,

You left out what John used!!! I tell ya the way I learned. I have close to 3000 hours on a simulator, which helped a lot. Thats where I would go to learn the stick inputs, then I would go fly the foamie in the yard.
    I think the best way to learn the inputs, regardless if you use a sim or not is to practice the different knife edges. For example, do a left to right knife edge which is canopy facing you, you using right rudder. Roll it to belly facing you now you using left rudder. Keep doing that faster and faster before you know it you can slow it down. Cause the only time you are going to use the rudder inputs are when the plane is in the knife edge pos. Of course after learning that you will need to know when to add elevator to keep the height you want and to make it in a circle.
    It is not as hard as people think, it is all about timing, and once you learn it you got it.
    Hope that makes sense.

Chris

17. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Great job Guru guys! Lucky you make it look too easy. Great video.

...Buk

18. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Nice looking plane guys, I have a soft spot for Yaks and yours seems to fly really nicely. I know how good you are on the sticks Lucky (i've seen the vids too :) ) but it doesn't seem like it has any bad habits. K/E coupling looked minimal and I didn't see much wing rock in HiA although it was difficult to tell because of the wind.

Mark, like Lucky says a simulator is a great learning tool (i'm guessing that's what John recommended too?). I dread to think how many hours i've put in on mine, but I remember spending 2 weeks solid learning to do rolling harriers.
    If you want to learn to fly knife edge then i've got one tip for you..
    When the top of the model is facing you then push the rudder stick towards the tail.
    when the bottom of the model is facing you then push the rudder stick towards the nose.
    This works whichever direction you roll into KE and whether you start from upright or inverted flight.

Si.

19. kram242

Thanks guys, I am going to try and build a plane that I can practice these moves on. I can do a knife edge (sorta) :) but only in one direction! :D It's the rolling harriers that are the hard ones for me. I must say that I have to blame my self mainly because I have never flown a 'normal' aircraft really. All my designs ( I must admit Randy) :) have been pretty wild but lately I have been attracted to the pattern style aircraft with there beautiful precision maneuvers.
    Mark

20. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Thanks...

From what I have gotten so far...I dont see any bad habits at all..it didn't have any wing rock in a harrier..hovers easy..even in the wind it locked in very well!! There was minimal coupling in knife edge which is normal.. it was hard to tell what was wind or coupling. I hadn't had a calm day yet to fly it or somewhere indoors. But so far this thing Rocks!!!

Chris

21. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Looks good Chris. My primary beater is very similar in flight characteristics and looks. Especially the large aileron surface. I saw a little something on the underside of the wing :cool: . Good luck on the indoor tests.
    John

22. rjarois

lucky, im not sure about were you live...but here ther are a million fellas that go to fly in these big domes that cover soccer fields in the winter months to fly .....if you put that baby out ther for sale, id bet it would sell like hotcakes...you could sell two versions...the pro depron, and the fan-fold style, as alot of the guys just go in ther and crash up ther stuff. i would very much love to see you fly your model indoors, in perfect dead air....as from the outside video you really show your flying skills in the winds, flying a feather..well im assuming its very lite...i would guess 9.5oz.?? well lucky i will be watchin this post closely...models like this are my favorites. peace, randy.

23. iflyos

iflyos Member

Randy, Chris doesn't have a scale (yet!) he can weigh it on, But we are looking more at a weight range of 5-6 ounces. Mine came in at 5.6, so Lucky's should be pretty close to that.

Hopefully we can get some indoor video before to long for you guys. Chris is working on an indoor site closer to home for him, and I am hoping to get some down here as well...of course, I am not half the pilot Chris is, so mine won't be near as impressive!

Tim
    AG4RZ

24. rjarois

wow, to me under 8oz. is extremely lite...i said 9.5oz. because that's the lightest outdoor model i own...lols. i am looking forward to seeing this thread updated...hope he has one of them small micro hackers on it, lols. randy.

25. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Thanks Randy,

The goal was to hit 5 to 6oz. mark. I tell ya it flys like it is lighter than that. The first motor I tried on it was a little under powered, dont have the numbers Tim knows them, Right now It has an Axi 2204/54 on it..which is close to an 300 brushless motor.
    The speed brake system I designed for it really works, but with drag it has it needed power to move it. But the other motor flew it fine I just couldn't push it to the limits I wanted, but for a first timer indoors it would be perfect, it just flew around nice and slow like a trainer.
    I'm throwing everything at it to test it, this afternoon at the field it was calm and I got a flight on it, all I can say... can't wait to put it indoors:)...would have gotten video but I was testing my big yak out for a fly-in this weekend. I learned this after noon...don't do a snap on take off on the wrong rates or enough speed cause it will make your boxer shorts turn into tighty whiteys :x My wife says her chest still hurts, she normally won't watch cause she says I scare her....
    The cool thing about the Guru Lucky Yak is it will be offered in two versions a yak or a 260 and maybe another one Tim is working on.

Chris