1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Happy St. Patty's Day.

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rcav8r, Mar 17, 2012.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Happy St. Patty's Day! (I hope it's OK to abbreviate ;-) ) 75 deg, sunny, and calm... Gonna do some flying then have a pint or two of Guinness when get home. Too bad the Pens vs the Devil game is on at 1, not this evening. :(

Enjoy the day, and an Irish Custom/export. Have some corned beef/Cabbage, drink a Guinness, listen to some Celtic Music and watch a little hockey.. OK hockey is believed to be Scottish origin, but close. And hay the first transatlantic R/C flight landed in Ireland.

Some Celtic music to get you started.

More traditional
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlV2z1dWcI

and some modern "American" Celtic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghYrYXvy2wY Attached files [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice post Dave! I happy belated happy St. Patty's day! I like the sound of Flogging Molly,m I sit back and listen to the story's the songs tell. So hard to find any good music/groups that can do that anymore.
    Flogging Molly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlym4eLW ... st_related

3. rcav8r

WOW Mark, never would have guessed you to be a punk fan :D I listed to a few from the band... Some made me blush a little ;) This was may favorite that I listened to so far. I'll give them more of a listen when I have more time.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40apy5N ... re=related

I'm not a big punk fan... The Drop Kick Murphy's are about as close as I get. This is another favorite of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_2eznPL ... re=related.

Lyrically, you can't top Rush. That and only 3 guys make all that complex music. I love going to a concert; you can always tell the newbie at the concession line at intermission. They're asking where all the other band members are ;) That and they always have a lot of humor mixed in.

4. kram242

Punks not dead! :banger: I have been a pit or two :D
    "some made me blush" me too Dave, they do go over board.
    First time I have heard of The Drop Kick Murphy's and I like the sound. A cool concert would be FM with The Drop Kick Murphy's! :good:
    As for Rush I have never really listen to them :oops: they were more my brothers style at the time when I was into music heavy.
    Mark and Trish

5. rcav8r

OK, I have to admit... I would have never guessed I would find you at a punk concert :D I LOVE live music, and try to partake in many forms, but I don't think I would do well at a punk concert.

On a totally different tangent, but along the same lines....I'm going to see these lovely ladies tomorrow night. I saw Chloe perform this one at a christmas concert last December when they played with the Pittsburgh Symphony. Even though lyrically it is not my thing ;-) it has had to have been the BEST live performance of any I have seen to-date. She didn't have the choir, just her and a harp. It had about 4 times the energy of this performance...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usADINi17cI&ob=av2n
    During their general shows, they do a wide verity of music...mostly Celtic classics, and what is classified as World Music. Most songs everyone knows...

And the fiddle/violin player has the energy of a room full of 3rd graders, and has yet to miss a beat in all the times I've seen her.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kXF2gh6LwY

One of the WORST and most disappointing concerts I have seen was the Trans Siberian Orchestra. I really looked forward to seeing them. They played my favorite of theirs (Christmas eve Sarajevo) 3 times.. I like the song all, but 3 times? And it really is just a rip of Carol of the Bells anyway ;)
    They had all the orchestral instruments, but they didn't use a lot of them, and at times they weren't even playing the instruments they were appearing to. And the light show was like they gave a 10 year old a $300K budget and told him to go wild. I like good effects, but they were WAY over used. And on top of that, 1/2 the concert was 3 chord speed metal... Yea, weird fit, and something I wasn't expecting for sure. It was my son's first concert and I think it ruiend him for live music ;) He's a big Rush fan like myself (he actually discovered them on his own) but doesn't want to go see them with me.

Did I mention I LOVE live music :D

6. kram242

Wow what a performance the violinist puts on! Very cool. I will have to take Trish to see this group. Looks like we just missed the last Philly performance for this year http://www.celticwoman.com/north-americ ... ates-2012/
    This would be a lot of fun
    Mark and Trish

7. rcav8r

Too bad you missed them. Gee I wish I would have mentioned them after the christmas show... you would have been able to make the spring show. You REALLY need to catch the christmas show if they come your way. They only do about 10, and it is with the local symphony. I tried to talk my wife into going to the symphony for years. She's strickly a fan of top 40 :roll: I didn't tell her the christmas show was with the symphony. Despite her misfogivings, she really enjoyed it. On the way home, she even said we should go to the symphony some time. Women... ;)
    My buddy is good friends with the conductor of the Pgh Symphony, and the conductor of the Celtic Woman is good friends with the conductor of the Pgh Symphony... so I'll be working my buddy for some back stage passes or meet and greet. ;-)

The show Wednsday was fantastic. Better than the others. A lot more interaction with the audience. They did a neat little skit as a lead in to Téir Abhaile Riú. The mother and daughter were scattered through out the audience as they were bickering in Gallic. Couldn't understand a word of it. but it was pretty funny actually. Unfortunately they were having sound problems. The sound system really gave out during Ave Maria which was so disappointing. You can tell that Chloe knew it too. There were also problems with the sound on the bagpipes on Amazing Grace, but luckily we were sitting very close to the guy as he starts the song from the audience so at least part of it sounded good. The sound gremlins were also in full force on a piece where the fiddle and step dancer were doing a sort of dueling bango's sort of thing. They tried to adjust, but it just wasn't working.
    Chloe did nail Nocturne with no sound issues; WAY more energy than the Youtube show from the Fox Theater.

Not sure why the sound issues. The building is new (about a year and a half), and I've been to about 4 shows there, and they all were fine. Next one will be Roger Waters, The Wall. Saw that one last year. A little too preachy for my taste, but still a good show with GREAT effects... it even has a large scale airplane "flying" across the venue. :)

8. kram242

We would love to see catch the christmas show if they come here next year! :good:
    We saw Roger Waters, The Wall and would never go back after the negative hateful/hurtful things he said about America while our troops were oversea fighting for us. He was spitting on the people in the front row saying they were rich and could afford front row tickets! The people seemed to think it was the coolest thing and we felt like we were in bizzaro world. The guy is really a dog. the rants went on and Trish and I started booing him and actually started others doing the same (which gave a little hope and felt cool) I understand now why David Gilmore can't stand him, not to mention all the other crappy things he has done in his past. Plus I think David has the real talent ;) We got through it but said never again, now if Gilmore comes around that would be cool!
    Mark and Trish